UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Bad C5-C6 Herniation Q & A please

11/23/04 1:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Nov-04 01:42 AM
My neck had been stiff in the mornings without the collar, but by this point its starting to loosen up. Still tight and sore in the mornings but once i'm up and moving its good. Range of motion is coming along... Ive got a good 180 degrees left/right turning already. side to side (ear to shoulder) feels good also. Looking up to the sky and down at my toes is the one thats hurts, especially down. Good news is that I coudlnt even squeeze my fist between me chin and chest 3 days ago... but ive got it down to 3 fingers today Honestly I feel like I could probably start fading off the Percoset, but what the hell... I got it! LOL
11/23/04 1:32 AM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Nov-04
did my first workout with weights tonight. Fortunatly, im lucky enough to have whats basically a commercial gym in my 2 car garage. Just did some real light pushing exercises... nothing overhead tho. bench, Inc bench, close grip bench, some cable pushdowns. only did 2 sets of each after a little warm up. Finished off with 3 sets each of low back extensions and ab crunches on the roman chair. Felt good ... really really weak and I got tired quick but good to be doing it. in 6 days of not being able swallow I went from 205lbs to 188lbs LOL I'm only 193 right now but im back to eating anything I want. Still hard to swallow so I'm still using a glass or two of water everytime I eat. next checkup is DEC 7th which is 4 weeks out from surgery
11/23/04 1:37 AM
rvboy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Way to go Buff!! Keep up the good work. Let me know how long the tricep takes to come to life.
11/23/04 1:41 AM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 23-Nov-04 01:47 AM
ya know, the tri's were never really a problem... what got weak was the muscles under the Bicept, i think theyre called brachiallis and brachia or something like that along with wrist extending muscles in the forarm and my thumb was real weak too. no grip at all! Also it felt like I was getting stabbed in the rear delt with a red hot ice pic, constantly! Doc said 1 disc lower (c6-T1) would have killed my tri's
11/23/04 9:38 AM
narcopuppy

Buff- Glad to hear your recovery is going good. My doc wouldn't let me work out or move my head for 6 weeks. It got pretty frustrating. rvboy- My herniation was at C6/7 which affected my tricep and part of my chest. Tricep is about 80% two months post surgery. Chest is only about 50% still. I'm doing flat bench with 135 and can barely squeeze out 30 pushups. Both those numbers are about half what I was doing six months ago.
11/23/04 4:13 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 23-Nov-04 04:17 PM
Woops, I meant C7 NOT T1... thats 2 down, sorry Narco, since your at C6-C7 I assume that your going to come back with pretty close to full range of motion then after all is said and done, huh
11/23/04 4:43 PM
narcopuppy

Should be pretty close to full range. Looking up and down is close to normal. Like you, it hurt like a mf'er to look up for quite a while. I think it was more from stretching the incision area than anything else. Turning side to side and ear to shoulder is about 75% normal, mostly because the muscles on the back of my neck (the ones running along my spinal column, not traps) are tight as hell. Can't seem to loosen them up much. Working out, I've been able to do overhead presses and shrugs without pain. I've been avoiding cleans and deadlifts so far. My next app't is Jan 20th. If that one checks OK, I'm going to start doing some light rolling and bag work again.
11/23/04 4:48 PM
narcopuppy

hey, Buff, are you still in Boulder? I used to hang out there quite a bit...
11/23/04 5:48 PM
BUFFGEO

Im actually in Louisville (next town SW on 36) Its only 3 minutes away tho
11/23/04 9:10 PM
narcopuppy

What a great place to live (except for all the filthy hippies). I miss it. I was in Ft. Collins for 6 years and visited Boulder often.
11/23/04 11:20 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 23-Nov-04 11:20 PM
Ft. Collins is nice, we have a real good purple belt teaching up there now out of 'Kim Yee's Karate West' academy. (Kim Yee is a great guy also) I lived in Boulder for 3 years and hated Colorado... I wanted to move out a here soooo bad! I up and move 3 minutes down the highway to Louisville and I love it here now... Its like another planet compared to Boulder's dumb ass!
12/7/04 2:04 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 11-Jan-05 04:42 PM
Just got back from my 1 month checkup... Everything looks good. on my new xray you can see were a little new bone is begining to grow between the vertabra. I stopped takeing pain meds about 10 days ago. they should all be out of my system now... im a little achey sometimes but other than that I feel fine. All the nerve pain and sensation stopped, my arm strength feels like it is pretty much 80%.It gets tired quicker than the other one right now but I'm sure as a work out again that will even out. My day to day living routine is back to normal. Range of motion is great everywhere... even chin to chest which is my last real tight spot. I'm down to trying to sqeeze 1 finger between chin and chest. dont quite got it but I have a tight sqeeze on 2 fingers! (can normal people put there chin right to there chest?, I can't remmeber LOL) I actually have better range now than before the surgery! I never realized how jacked my neck really was!!! Ive been doing some light lifting with eliptical or stationary bike... but I still cant jar it... no jump rope or running, that still hurts pretty good. Doc said I could start finger drilling some positions as long as no pressure is put on my head... basically, walking through finishes from the top position and stuff like that Now its basically like a broken bone from here on, just have to wait until it mends and then i'll be good to go I hope this thread helps people in the future
12/7/04 5:45 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 07-Dec-04
ttt
12/19/04 5:57 PM
GaryG
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Dec-04
ttt
12/22/04 2:42 PM
narcopuppy

Edited: 22-Dec-04
ttt
1/2/05 2:05 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 02-Jan-05
I know I wrote back on 12/7 that I was light lifting but after a couple of times I stopped because I was getting sore again. I lifted today . first time since then, and it feels much better. Also, I jumped rope for 10 minutes and no problem with the jarring... Range is %100 great in all directions except chin to chest. looks like it stopped improving at about 1 finger between the chin and chest. I cant quite reach the chest with my chin damn it. Maybe its something I can stretch back over time. Swallowing is also back to about %90
1/2/05 5:58 PM
Jeff Baldwin

Edited: 02-Jan-05
I had a simular injury in my C6-C7, when I got an MRI my doc (he's a family and sports med. doc.) said if he was treating the MRI I would be in surgery right then. Physical Therapy helped tremendously, they gave me a home traction device which I still use 2-3 times per week. Took me about 6 months to be fully recovered. Now I just wake up stiff after hard training and I spend alot of time stretching to prevent injuring it again. Good to hear about success stories with surgery. All I've heard is that surgery just leads to more surgery down the road so keep us posted. Jeff
1/11/05 4:40 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 11-Jan-05 04:43 PM
Well, its exactly 2 months out from surgery and all is well. Still not training but Im starting back to a light teaching schedule and working with my wife trying to convince her she can win the Pan Am's. Started lifting weights 4 days a week and no problems. Im weak on the right side with pulling exercises but its already improved quite a bit. 2 month check up was today. Doc said everything is great and the x-ray shows even more bone growth than normal at this stage so thats really great news. (means my fusion is happening quicker than average) My weight is back to 200. not as fit cardio wise obviously, but I never had a problem getting in shape and Im sure I will be back to were I want to be by the time I can compete again. Range of motion is great... it looks like I leveled off at one finger between chin and chest tho. Thats still were im at. I have to say for the recored I feel great and am soooo glad I didnt put this off. If I was a normal day job working person I would probably say Im feeling 100% right now
1/11/05 4:58 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 11-Jan-05 05:05 PM
Ya know Jeff, Ive found just the opposite to be true. When I was researching this I had alot of people tell me that the wish they didnt waste time trying to PT or rehabe there disks and just got the surgery, because they wound up getting it anyway. Now Im talking high activity people. normal people showed the higher percentage to rehabe success, But if you plan on still being a nutcase with your body (like Me) it will eventually re injure (most Likely) and I wont limit my lifestyle out of fear of getting hurt (even tho it can still happen but I think the chances are much less). I even know 2 people that got disc disections... (were they just go in and snip the herniated part off)... That would most likely have worked if they were just normal 9-5 schmo's, but they re herniate because they keep up there activity after they heal... and wind up having to go back in eventually for the surgery or go the rest of there lives on this on again off again schedule to keep healing. I was considering this but decided just to skip it because i didnt want to have 2 surgery's if the odds were not good it would even work long term... which they werent in my opnion By no means am I trying to be negative with your case and I hope all goes well. Post your progress and let me know what level of activity you plan to maintain.
1/11/05 7:19 PM
rvboy

Edited: 11-Jan-05
Hey Buff, I have a question that I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone in the last year or so. When the disc herniates and the annulus fiber protrudes out, what happens to that bulging part in time? Say a year down the road, is that annulus still there, and if so, is that why there is an ever so slight irritation on the nerve? Or after the herniation does that protruding part eventually dissipate? rvboy
1/12/05 11:03 AM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 12-Jan-05 11:25 AM
If your talking just a bulge of the annulus fiber, I believe the answer is if you rehab yourself (which would take the pressure off you disc) the bulge just receeds back to its normal shape.... It was explained to me like this: Think of your disc as a jelly donut and you putting light pressure on each side with your hands like your praying. The dough part is the annulus and the jelly is the nucleus. The best case is the jelly didnt squish out yet its just pushing your donut out in a spot (bulging). If you can rehab to relieve the pressur on you disk your golden...if you cant your going to get worse, plain and simple Something happens (tramatic event or worn down over time or bulge is left unfixed) You start sqeezing the donut tighter and an area of the donut gets week and thin and eventually the jelly squirts through The dough part isnt broken or fragmented just opened a little hole. Now, depending on how much jelly came out you can rehab without surgery. that means if there is something that can be done to releave the pressure on your donut you do it... then rest for whats probably a long while... and eventually the whole will re-seal and the jelly thats squirted out will just be broken down and re assimilated back into the body. you will make more jelly (nucleus) material over time. of course, if you keep doing what you were doing ie. training like a lunatic, deadlifting with shitty posture, etc. you most likely will keep re-injuring yourself so it takes a lifestyle change to be effective. in my case, the jelly came out sooo much that it was pushing into a nerve to the point i was losing function. the Doc said that with that amount of jelly and the amount of time it would take to break down it would pose a serious threat to the health of my nerve. Plus I wanted to be able to keep training full time and if I did that I would probably keep re injuring it. so i decided to have it removed and fused. The last case is like a friend of mine had in which she was slammed on her head (trumatic event) and alot of jelly squished out and pieces of her donut were fragmented and floating in the nerve canal. Those could have caused serious problems with her nerve and had to be removed and fused. Im not sure but i dont think the donut part (annulus) would have broken down or if it does it takes a loooong time which is putting risk to your nerve health. because the longer a nerve is aggravated, the more the chance of it being permamantly damaged... and ive heard several time lines for this to happen but none of them are really that long so you dont want to sit around for 6-8 months with an impinged nerve and wait for it to heal or youll be permanantly weak or have loss of funtion... OR BOTH!
1/12/05 11:06 AM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 12-Jan-05 11:10 AM
1/14/05 12:41 PM
GaryG
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jan-05
Buffgeo How would bad posture deadlifting cause a herniation? The night before I noticed a problem with my neck I was doing heavy (for me)deadlifts. What'd I do wrong?
1/14/05 12:53 PM
BUFFGEO

There is alot of pressure on your entire back when doing things like deads, squats even shrugs. anyone of those can push a bulge the reason I put that is because the night before I woke up a cripple, i did light dead lifts! Only light mind you... just to get the form back because I was prepping to start a hardcore 12 weeks of lifting. Im a damn stickler on perfect form too, but just doing them must have been enough to push my already damaged disc over the edge. Its almost never the thing you did right before that hurt you... its usually a long time of aggravation.
1/14/05 9:16 PM
rvboy

That's funny because that's exactly the exercise I was doing when I Blew a disc in my back. I think it's the hyrostatic pressure that is built up throughout most of your body that pushes an already sensitive area over the edge.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.