UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Bad C5-C6 Herniation Q & A please

1/15/05 11:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jan-05
for sure
1/15/05 2:36 PM
rvboy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jan-05
Hey Buff, do you think you will eventually do deadlifts again? If so, how long do you think you will wait until you resume those types of lifts?
1/16/05 9:19 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jan-05 09:20 PM
Im sure I will, im already lifting with pretty good intensity right now 5 days a week. Im weak as hell becuase of the nerve issue but I can already tell it will come back to normal. Ive already done everything except deads.. includes bench, military press, lat pulls and rows... even shrugged the other day and im only a little over 2 months out (but i think im going to hold off a few more week on those). Like I said, Im weak right now so the weight isnt big... but im pushing as hard as I can so the intensity is there and I feel fine. as far as BJJ training goes, im taking classes but not participating in the drilling... and im spending alot of time rep'ing technique with a partner I completly trust...(usually my wife) also speanding alot of time fitting in throws and working on my Judo (its tough to find partners who dont mind me throwing them but they dont throw me LOL) Not teaching classes anymore but its more my choice to get myself together rather then it being I cant... I want to focus on MY game this year
2/11/05 11:14 AM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 11-Feb-05

Just got back from my 3 month check up. X-ray showed a mongo hunk of bone growing in the place my disk was. will take several months to filled in completely tho.

Doc said I can start to slowly experiment with activity I feel comfotable with but to take it slow and easy.

I asked if I can do strength training for my neck specifically and he said to hold off on that for a while yet. But I will need to do it eventually before I start grappling seriuosly because my neck is much weaker now from lack of use and babying it for so long...which can lead to me hurting it again if I train to soon.

I feel pretty darn close to 100% right now but of course im not doing anything crazy...just normal living. This past week ive been a little sore tho, the doc said its because of growing so much new bone its like growing pains when you were young. Im just starting to get bone on bone contact between the vertabra also which can cause sorness...but it should only be a week or 2.

I wont be seeing him for 3 months now so April will be my next check up.

If this is past the point of info that no one cares anymore ill stop posting... lol ...but i think having a recored for someone to compare to might help someone...someday...maybe.... a little ... kinda

2/11/05 11:20 AM
BUFFGEO

oh yeah, one more thing...

My workouts have changed. Im not doing the old school bodybuilding or weight lifting style work out I made a lifestyle of doing...

I'm doing more of a crossfit style work out... i dont follow the website cause I dont agree with everything they do but definatly that style... (I took alot of routines from the site tho) 

I decided that since my goal was to be a great competitior in grappling to devote myself totoally to the anerobic style of fitness... and also since i'm no spring chicken anymore that it would be better for overall body health and longevity

2/11/05 7:13 PM
rvboy

Glad to hear you are healing. Must be exciting for you. I'm still trying to get a handle on being 100%. All in good time though.
2/23/05 5:50 PM
surfin joe
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Feb-05
ttt
2/23/05 6:32 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 23-Feb-05

Just stopped back in to say that I have full range of motion... even chin to chest .... no problem. I feel great and am starting to go 100% intensity with the crossfit style of training.

I started training pretty close to full resistance in positions were im on top and the person cant reach my head...such as attacking the turtle position, etc..

Im also going about 80% on bottom of guard with people that know they cant grab my head and I trust. Really getting good at keeping people in positions they cant stack me and sweeping. my guard is going to be even MORE sick after this! LOL Funny because all the effort in these obscure positions that you really dont think about to often is really going to pay off

Scary thing is I've felt fine for a couple of weeks now so its tough to not go ahead to fast. My friends and teammates are always yelling at me! LOL " Hey George! what are ya doing over there?!".. and im like.. "nothin man, just watchin!" LOL

2/24/05 1:08 PM
GaryG
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Feb-05
Glad to hear your progress is going so well. Please keep posting, if your progress continues I'm going to seriously think about the fusion surgery. Take care and good luck.
2/24/05 2:57 PM
surfin joe
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BUFFGEO- do you know if that treatment is available thru liens? If not, do you know how much it would cost in cash? I might be able to settle soon and then use some of the money to pay for the surgery (if I don't do it on a lien). My injury was sustained in a car crash, and then a physical therapist actually squeezed the disc out farther and made it a lot worse. Liens are a tough obstacle to deal with.
2/24/05 3:27 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 24-Feb-05 05:33 PM

If I didnt have insurance It would have cost me about $60,000 and thats at a sports medicen clinic who gets big pricing breaks... It probably would have been over $100K if I just wandered into a random hospital

2/24/05 4:45 PM
narcopuppy

Update on my progress. Sure is a bunch of broke-neck mf'ers in this place! I had a checkup on Jan 20. Fusion was complete, and I was released to return to "normal" activity. My right chest/tricep is back to about 80% strength, and everything else is 100%. I've been working out w/ the heavy bag pretty regularly, and haven't had any problems. Just recently started upping the weight on deadlifts and shrugs, again w/ no problems. Started some light resistance training on my neck. Range of motion is 100% except turning side to side which is about 75%. I'm not going to start back training again until I'm in top shape -- probably about June. Been running like a madman trying to get cardio up. Joe- The surgery went great for me, but I couldn't have done it w/o insurance. Total ran me about $2.5k.
2/24/05 5:30 PM
BUFFGEO

Good job Narco
3/1/05 8:57 AM
Baldilocks

Edited: 01-Mar-05
Neck injuries have to be one of the most common injuries in grappling. I had this surgery about a year in March but didn't have the carbon disc. I don't think it was available at the time. Glad to hear your surgury went well Buff. I hear you about the $$ too. Crazy expensive for 24 hours worth of care and a couple of follow ups. My surgery was $30k but about $3k out of pocket. I actually just finally paid it off! I'm back to grappling FT and lifting FT. I feel about 95% but took a while to get there. I thought I was fine at 5 months or so but I'd been hurt so long, I forgot what was "normal". I realize my strength isn't going to be what it use to either. My bench is about 50lbs less than what it use to be. My left arm just won't give me everything. Grappling is fine but I still try to avoid guillotines/neck cranks. Also when someone has side control and applies shoulder pressure I kinda ache for a day. Ah well.
3/17/05 12:21 PM
GaryG
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Mar-05
ttt
3/29/05 10:52 AM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 29-Mar-05 01:46 PM

Just wanted to check in. I'm coming up on 5 months out from surgery and i'm feeling great. As a matter of fact, i'm feeling SO good that I have to really watch what I do for fear of trying to much to soon!

Been lifting for a couple months now full on.... back up to weight and strength on my right side is about 85-90%. Grip is stronger than before surgury but ive been really training it. Only thing is pull ups are real weak still ( Lat on right side) can only do about 4 or 5. ( but couldnt do any last month)

as far as training... i'm probably a long ways from doing any no gi ( people attack the head and neck alot more than with gi) but have been traing alot of Gi top position pretty hard this last month. also, alot of judo. Just throwing not getting thrown, of course!! (the fun way)

Putting some time in the guard on bottom also...as long as the guy knows he cant stack me. i've developed quite the open guard to keep people low and stretched out because of this.... which is different because I was always a tight closed guard kinda guy and I was having a problem with getting stacked alot... this has really helped.

Havnt worked top guard because all the head pulling and lapel pulling makes me nervous... passing has always been a strong point tho so its no biggie

Strange thing is, with all the focus training ive been doing past 2-3 months I feel the best Ive ever been technical wise, so I dont feel like I really lost any time at all....

3/30/05 4:14 PM
DonMega

Edited: 30-Mar-05
Att : Buffgeo Great you feel good after surgery. Listen i also have herniated disc C5-C6 C6-C7 and few weeks agoo i reinjured my neck so now i have arm weakness ,numbness etc.. How can i get in touch with Dave Schneider? Thanks
3/30/05 4:18 PM
DonMega

Edited: 30-Mar-05
TTT
3/30/05 5:26 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 30-Mar-05 05:26 PM

He works out of these two offices:

1) Cornerstone Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine PC
(303) 665-2603
90 Health Park Dr
Louisville, CO 80027

2) Cornerstone Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine PC
(303) 456-6000
3555 Lutheran Pkwy
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

3/31/05 1:18 AM
DonMega

Edited: 31-Mar-05
Thanks man Does he have a website?
3/31/05 10:45 AM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 31-Mar-05

I dont think so...

4/17/05 1:04 AM
narcopuppy

Edited: 17-Apr-05
ttt
5/16/05 4:41 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 16-May-05
OK this is it!!! I just went to my last appointment on friday (the 13th) and got the 100% all clear!!! My neck is fine, got a good curve.. and healed great! Doc said as far as I should be concernd, its like I was never injured I went and trained pretty hard this weekend and boy was my timing off.... all the new stuff i was working this whole time felt like it was coming in slow motion LOL But I felt great to be back and the neck held up fine This morning my neck muscle were sore all the way up to the back of my head.... but good sore. Just havnt used them in a while they were like "Woah! what the hell?" Im glad all you guy's stuck around to see how this would turn out.... and i'm glad it had a good ending. Hope it gives a little insperation to the many people out there that get injured and get down thinking its all over... All injuries are differant but dont quit! Not really sure if this is helpfull or not but I think its pretty cool that there is a thread that documents the entire process... just for info if anything
5/16/05 5:37 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 16-May-05
I cant believe its been 7 months since the first post and eight since ive been hurt!!!
5/17/05 9:13 AM
narcopuppy

Edited: 17-May-05
Buff- That's great news! My final app't isn't until July 20th. I've been rolling again off and on w/ no problems. Also back to heavy squats, cleans, shrugs and 4-way neck w/ no problems. Still have weakness in rt side of chest, but no pain or numbness. I think my hard training/competition days are probably over because I have those two other bulging discs, but I'm pretty pleased w/ the results of surgery.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.