UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Bad C5-C6 Herniation Q & A please

5/17/05 6:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rvboy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-May-05
That's awesome guys! I'm so glad you have healed up. Definitly an inspiration to us all. rvboy
5/18/05 11:00 AM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-May-05
Awsome Narco
5/18/05 7:17 PM
Furacao
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-May-05
Great read - VERY glad to hear things worked out for you Buff. I herniated my C6/7 just about 3 years ago. Did hardcore PT and was back to training and competing about 6 months later. Hasn't really caused too much of an issue until lately. I think I tweaked it again 2 nights ago in practice bridging out of a position. Got the tingles again, no muscle loss and still have full range of motion. Maybe I'm just sketched. Anyway - GREAT to hear about your success with surgery and its definitely something for me to keep in mind for the future. Thanks for the thread! Chris
6/13/05 6:08 AM
Rainman

Edited: 13-Jun-05

Hey guys, 10 weeks since I herniated my C6/C7......I can now do ONE push up...!! (there's a 100% improvement anyway...!!) Left tricep is so weak, numb to end of my index finger. Really depressing, but trying to be positive.

Surgeon told me there's a 1/300 chance of paralysis if I have the bone graft operation, is this bull? Maybe I heard him wrong, I was so stunned when he told me my grappling days were over without an operation, everything went very sureal. I don't know what to do, but its so good to find others with my condition. I used to be a member here years ago, i rejoined just so I could find others like me.

Don't know what to do, I have lost my will to do any training (allowed to cycle etc) because for me it was always to help my sport. Take away my sport and i feel I have nothing to train for. I need to get over this and be positive, but its not easy.

6/13/05 12:46 PM
narcopuppy

Rainman- The artificial disc was approved by the FDA a few weeks after my surgery. If I had to do it over again, I'd look into it so you don't lose the mobility at that level. It's not severe, but noticable. Also, the lack of mobility makes it more likely to injure the level above or below. As for risk, any surgery has it. Especially when they're poking around your spinal cord with sharp instruments. The 1 in 300 number sounds a little high, though. If your herniation's bad enough, it will never get better on its own, and there's a possibility of worse injury with further impact. 8 months ago, I could only do 1 or 2 pushups. I'm still lacking some strength/size in my right chest/tricep. I'm up to 48 p/u's now, and still slowly improving. All my lifts that don't involve chest/tricep pressing are back to preinjury levels. I'm back to doing some rolling now. I pick my training partners carefully (no spazzes) and tap quickly to neck cranks. On the plus side, during recovery cardio was about the only exercise I could do. I got in the best cardio shape I'd been in since the Army. Ran several 10 k's etc. Let it slip some since I've been weight training so much lately. Hang in there and let all the broke-necks know how your recovery's going. Greg
6/13/05 5:01 PM
Rainman

Narco, many thanks for the advise. I see the surgeon again in 4 weeks. It will be three and half months by then, I will ask about the new artificial disc.

It seems some here have had surgeory and some have recovered naturally. When it comes to risking my spinal cord, I just can't bring myself to justify the risk. At first I was so sure i was having it, now I just don't know. It would be so depressing to have to give up, but I dont want to end up in a wheelchair!

I will keep all you broken necks posted of my progress for sure. At the minute all i want is a nights sleep. I get bad referred pain in my middle back when in bed a few hours. Also, by most evenings I need pain killers. I am now hitting the pads with a friend to just try to get my left shoulder and arm working, it's given me some focus. Also didn't realize just how rusty my hand work had got!! Gonna be a long road to recovery. Thanks for your support.

6/14/05 3:17 PM
GaryG
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jun-05
Congrats to Buffgeo and good luck to Rainman. These posts about about everyones progress really do help.
6/18/05 1:07 AM
rvboy

Edited: 18-Jun-05
Had all the same shit. Heeled naturally however be prepared, it takes a long time. Started out with literally no strength eventually things returned I am at about the 18 month stage. Not sure why doc would say you would never train again without surgery. How would he know this at such an early stage?
6/18/05 6:17 PM
Rainman

Edited: 18-Jun-05
I guess surgeons like to recommend surgeory!!
6/19/05 6:59 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jun-05
herniations are like finger prints... no two are the same... Some can get better on there own, some MAY get better if you chill out with your crazy lifestyle, and some will NEVER get better on there own no matter what anyone says. Find a Doc thats familiar with dealing with athletes or sports teams... MAKE DAMN SURE he understands excactly what you want to continue doing (BJJ wrestle thai box etc) and trust what he says. Walk out on anyone who says youll never be able to do something again finally, theres good advice on here... but dont believe what happend to one person will happen to you ... good or bad... there are so many things that factor in to this type of injury your really on your own when it comes to dealing with it. Just be positve and believe you will overcome everything... then you probably will GEO
6/20/05 4:33 AM
Rainman

Edited: 20-Jun-05

Thanks for the advise. It's true, this type of injury seems to be very specific to the individual. I am now more positive about it and will do whatever it takes to overcome it. I see the Dr again in about 3-4 weeks. I want to ask if I can get a second MRI scan at 6 months to see if there's any progress.

7/7/05 12:54 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 07-Jul-05 12:55 PM
Not that being able to fully recover from an injury like this isnt reward enough, Im proud to say I just recieved my Purple belt from Amal Easton (Renzo BlackBelt) It was a tough year for me and there was times i was mentally down but it all seems worth the effort now and im glad i put the extra work in All I can say to anyone who gets hurt is .. just dont give up.... doesnt matter how slow you go, just dont stop!!!!! The reward will be there at the end
7/8/05 10:27 AM
rvboy

Edited: 08-Jul-05
Congrats Buff! that is awesome. Another ambassador of the broken neck club. Way to go. rvboy
7/8/05 3:56 PM
truemanc1

Edited: 08-Jul-05
Feck you guys sound tough, I hope I never go through that shit, glad you are on the mend bud. A ton of respect and luck for the future.
7/12/05 8:39 PM
narcopuppy

Edited: 12-Jul-05
Congrats on the Purple, Buff!
7/13/05 9:03 AM
Baldilocks

Edited: 13-Jul-05
Congrats Buff.
7/15/05 12:12 AM
Furacao
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jul-05
Congrats! I'm hoping my neck will hold till I get my Brown... Been hurting again for a week - SUCKS
7/15/05 10:25 PM
GaryG
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jul-05
Congrats on the purple. Well deserved.
8/4/05 5:48 AM
Rainman

Edited: 04-Aug-05

Hey rubber necks......time for an update.

Firstly, great news on the purple Buffgeo....that gives me hope still. It's soooo slow, I have been doing some weights and I can't press shit. Literally I can just about press 30kg....much to the amusement of my old gym parters. It's so slow...I feel so weak in my shoulder, and the muscle atrophy in my left tricep and left pec is mad....its lagging way beind the right side. My neck itself feels ok since I started lifting, but I am getting bad referred pain in my middle back. Can't sleep for more than 5-6 hours unless with strong painkillers.

Well, it's nearly 5 months and I am struggling menatlly with how slow things are. I honestly don't know if I will ever get there. I mean I won't give up....I have already recoverd from two bad knee operations, broken bones and a  car crash which have taken away a year and half of my training. The biggest disappointment is that I was due to get my purple this year from. Anyway, I NEVER give up, so unless I physically can't do it, I will keep plugging away. Just a bit disheartening when after 5 months I can only manage 2 push-ups!!

8/4/05 4:49 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 04-Aug-05
Keep plugging away rainman, youll get there I was effected different from you it seems... it was my right side bicept and lat (basically pulling motions) that died...and to this day im only up to about 5 pullups... and i used to be able to do sets of 10 with a 55lbs dumbell hanging off me but the beauty of BJJ is strength doesnt matter... i bet your technique is going to get off the hook!!!
8/5/05 11:46 AM
Furacao

Edited: 05-Aug-05
Rainman - keep at it brother - it will get better, just may take a little longer than others. Good to see you haven't given up - stay strong!
8/8/05 2:36 PM
Rainman

Edited: 08-Aug-05
Thanks for the encouragement. Will update again in a while. Cheers!
8/13/05 5:37 PM
surfin joe
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Aug-05
I had my C5-6 fusion on 8/2 in SF. So far, so good. At first it felt like my head get chopped off. After a while, the pain starts to go away. The vicodin helps. I am hoping for a full recovery. God bless & good luck everyone!
8/15/05 11:47 AM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 15-Aug-05 11:47 AM
Jesus christ if you can belive it i just tore my maniscus (knee)pretty good a few days ago!!! Im on freakin crutches... im going in to get my MRI this afternoon and according to my doc (same guy who did my neck fusion) I'll need to be going under the knife again. Luckily he said its a simple outpation thing that will only take 3-4 weeks to heal This year has sucked ass for me so far!!! Hopefully, ill think it will all be worth it when i win GQ west in Nov LOL surfin joe: as long as the rest of your neck is pretty good i think c5/c6 is a good recovery... you should be ok all other things being equal... ya your first month is going to SUCK ASS tho! funny thing is it sucks... it sucks... it sucks... then its better! LOL not much of a casual heal time. now is about the time my doc took me off my softcollar (about 2 weeks out) Are ya sleeping ok yet? is was about 3 weeks before i could.
8/16/05 10:51 AM
Rainman

Edited: 16-Aug-05

Jesus BUFFGEO......you and me must have the same body type......i have torn BOTH my meniscus!!!! lol.......hope that makes you feel better!! So not only have I got the old neck thing going on, but about 4 years ago I tore my left meniscus......then, less than 12 months later I did my right one.....now the neck.....!!! Talk about depressing.

Also, your doc is being a little optimistic.....it will be 4-6 weeks before you are back at it, not 3 weeks. It's 'normally' a straight forward procedure, a scope into the knee cavitiy...takes 15 mins...but of course not for me.....oh no sir.....my surgeon made a complete pigs ear of my first op....he was cutting the torn cartilage when he dropped some of it into my knee cavity, and had to go in to my knee in 4 different places to get it all out. Instead of a 15 procedure I was on the operating table for 1hr 20mins, woke up with a morphine drip with my knee the size of a football and was out of training for 4 months!!! He also said in 30 years of doing this kind of stuff he had never seen knees as hard to work on as mine because the space was so tight in my knee cavity. The best bit was when I asked him why my ribs hurt, and he admitted that he got a nurse to sit on me to stop me falling off the table when he was manipulating my leg...lol.

Anyway guys, time for an update......and at last, I have got major improvements......all of a sudden in the last 2 weeks I have strength coming back to my left side. My focus pad work is much sharper and my sparing partner says there's a big difference in the power coming from my jab. I decided to do the old push-up test again....remember after 3 months I could only do one push up......well although I felt a bit lop sided, I managed 10 this week. It's like the nerve signals are suddenly starting to get though. I am so damn happy.....got a long way to go but at last, after nearly 6 months things are starting to happen!! I even did some relaxed guard technique this week, (nothing silly, just half guard position work)....man, just to put a gi back on was a great feeling. I am not getting ahead of myself, but its a start, Thanks for all the encouragement guys.....sorry about this essay, but just had to tell you all....lol. Will update again soon. Cheers.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.