UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Bad C5-C6 Herniation Q & A please

8/16/05 11:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Aug-05
"he got a nurse to sit on me to stop me falling off the table" LOL now thats funny... i bet ya wont see that on 'Untold Stories of the E.R.'!!!!!
8/21/05 12:20 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Aug-05 04:42 PM
Well, the official story is I have a massive longitudal tear of my medial meniscus with a 'buckethandle' fold that is going to need surgery right away cause im dingin up the cartilage Im goin into surgury on tuesday (day after tomorrow) Dr. Schinder is doing me again (same guy that did my neck) and said about 6-8 weeks recovery and ill be 100% for my sport years... but this will probably have effects on me later in life... and it looks like no GQ this year in vegas, lucky bastards And for those interested, Conerstone apparently does has a website: http://www.cornerstoneorthopedics.com/
8/22/05 7:22 PM
Rainman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Aug-05
Good luck with the op. That's exactly what I had, the 'bucket handle tear'. Like I said, I have had both knees done. You will be back full training in no time, although I did need a fair bit of friction work on the knee a few weeks after by the physio...hurt like hell...!!
8/22/05 7:56 PM
surfin joe
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Aug-05
sleeping pretty well, use the soft collar sparingly. thanks for the good words, that gives me a lot of confidence. good luck with your next surgery. take it easy on yourself, man!
8/26/05 3:13 PM
A & J Sports

Edited: 26-Aug-05
Just wanted to know how everyone was feeling that had a discectomy or had fusion. I am getting ready to have Microendoscopic discectomy w/ no fusion and wanted to kinda see what others have done as far as activity after the surgery. Doc says I will be able to train full contact in 2-3 months. I have also heard it is a little less painful wih the endoscope because they only dialate the muscle rather than cutting it all the way open. One thing I would recommend to anyone getting ready to have simmilar procedures is to visit 4-5 doctors every doctor had a diffrent opinion. I was really steering away from fusion but many doctors told me that is the only way. I had one doctor tell me he could just clip the part of the disk that was herniated and not fuse. Another doctor told me the only way was fusion. I told him someone else had told me we could do it without fusion and then all of the sudden he said he could do that same procedure. With many doctors I believe it is a money thing fusion cost 3 times the amount of just a discectomy with no fusion. Finally I found an excellent doctor that was real down to earth and honest so I feel pretty good about having him do it. I've enjoyed reading everyone's post here. Its always good to see results and get info from others that have had similar problems. Good Luck to everyone.
8/27/05 6:55 PM
surfin joe
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Aug-05
BUFFGEO- did you eat any special diet or use anything on your scar to boost your recovery after the neck surgery? just curious. thanks.
8/30/05 1:33 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 30-Aug-05
A & J Sports: I had the fusion/carbon fiber disk replacment and im good as new... in all honesty, its as if nothing ever happend! better than ever. but it did take a solid 6 months to feel this way surfin joe: I dont really care about scar's so i dont do anything for it. My doc said he used some kind of plastic surgey technique when he did it and it wouldnt be noticable. at first i thought he was crazy cause i had a freaky scar! lol... but know its really getting to the point were ya dont notice... in a while i bet you wont be able to tell at all. I know the scar looks crazy now but it will get better, it just takes a while
9/9/05 3:32 PM
surfin joe

Edited: 09-Sep-05
Thanks for the reply. I'm not down with noticeable scars. Did you eat any particular diet or do any exercises that helped your 6-mos recovery? thanks George.
9/9/05 4:00 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 13-Sep-05 11:43 AM
I didnt do any kind of exercise or anything for my neck specifically if thats what your asking.... there is a new school of thought the past 10 years... (one which I agree with)... with neck strength building. Very very rarely will you see even pro athletes doing those neck isolation exercises anymore like you saw in the 80's with the front/back & side to side halo machines and crap like that. Research has shown time and time again that training an area like the neck on top of your sport training actually dramaticly increases injury... not prevents it The nutshell version is... no i didnt do anything but rest it. And when i started back to traing i started slow and built my way back into it. The philosphy now in sports rehab is let the sport training itself strenghten the neck were it needs it.... thats what most all pro sport teams go by I did start doing basic core weightlifting as soon as i could just to strenghin my body as a whole from being down... i think that helped alot.... but not neck specific.... closest thing ya can consider is shrugs probably... which i was ok'd to do and could do fine as far as diet, i always have eatin healthy and just jumped back into my normal eating habits as soon as i was able to swallow solid food
9/14/05 3:13 PM
surfin joe

Edited: 14-Sep-05
Thanks man. Best of luck with GQ. I'll basically just rest and eat the best diet that I can and continue to lay off the beer.
9/20/05 5:48 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 20-Sep-05
LOL man, im REALLY milkin' my injury this time... i havnt done SHIAT in 4 weeks!!! lol Im starting back today tho... i should have been back in there last week the way i feel Sometimes ya just need a vacation! lol
9/22/05 8:51 PM
surfin joe

Edited: 22-Sep-05
GEO- sorry if you already addressed this, but did you do any physical therapy for your neck after the surgery? I don't trust them too much, they all want to squeeze on your neck and have you turn your head in weird directions.
9/24/05 4:11 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 24-Sep-05
none at all
10/2/05 3:22 PM
surfin joe

Edited: 02-Oct-05
cool. when is your knee surgery scheduled?
10/2/05 6:21 PM
BUFFGEO

I went in right away for my knee... doc scheduled it for the next day :)... that was about a 5 weeks ago... and i started rollin at about 85% last week. its feeling like its going to be 100% in about another week or 2
10/2/05 10:04 PM
surfin joe

that's great, congrats. my neck is starting to feel good. It's been exactly 2 months.
10/3/05 12:57 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 03-Oct-05
Sweet
10/5/05 10:17 AM
Rainman

Edited: 05-Oct-05

Hey rubber necks.........time for an update. It's six weeks since my last post. Well, the natural recovery continues, allbeit slowly. It's over 6 months now. I can do about 15 push ups now, and have started skipping again along with the cycling that I have been doing. I still get bad back pain when sleeping (or at least trying to sleep) and need pain killers/muscle relaxents at night if I want a half decent sleep.

I am guard passing now (with select partners) at about 60-70% and since I can't really roll yet (at least i don't want to yet) I am working out a game plan around my injury.....such as how to defend the underhooks pass, or avoid getting stacked from triangle etc. I don't know if I will ever have the confidence i used to have, but I am happy with my progress. The first 4 months were bad......but there have been sudden improvements in the last 6 weeks, so i am hopeful.

rvboy.....how are you finding things now?? It must be nearly 2 years, right? I don't want to count my chickens....but even if i can eventually be a top club level BJJ'er (but not compete or get thrown) then at least that's something. let me know how things are with you. Cheers guys!

10/5/05 11:09 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 05-Oct-05
sounds awsome... i was a little shy to get in on the guard pass stuff cause of the habit guys have of pullin your head down to break posture.. i started with attacking the turtle and front headlock stuff first... ...and to this day, if i get front head lock on someone its pretty much over, and its all because of my neck surgery!! lol lol Keep up the good work!
10/6/05 7:19 AM
Rainman

Edited: 06-Oct-05

Yes, I am conscience of the head/collar pulling that goes on when passing, but there's only about 3 guys I will train with and they know not to attack my neck...(too much)....they have all found it useful/interesting to try to defend guard without being able to do this. New learning curve for al of us!

10/10/05 6:31 PM
rvboy

Edited: 10-Oct-05
Hey rainman just logged in, haven't check the site in a while. Update on me. Almost 2 years since the injury. Neck hasn't been an issue for at least six months. Training full guns but my high guard game almost doesn't exist because of the confidence issue. Right tricep lags a little behind the left but it's still improving. Fingers are hit and miss on the sensation thing. Most days are good, but the odd day slight tingle. I am confident that in a few more months I will be 100 percent. It's been a long road. I'm very glad I kept persistant with my rehab and smart about recovery. Glad to hear things are good with you. Keep it up and you'll make it.
10/11/05 7:57 AM
Rainman

Edited: 11-Oct-05
Excellent news.....great to hear you're still doing well....it gives me alot of hope. Do you ever get stacked? Or are you a master now at avoiding it? I have been guard passing at about 80% in the last few days, constantly increasing the level of resistence.....but always with caution. I will just continue on slowly and hope like you, I can make a full recovery, or as close as physically possible without surgeory.
10/11/05 11:14 PM
rvboy

Edited: 11-Oct-05
Hey Rain I do on occasion get stacked. I have learned to collapse into it and pivot around rather than trying to force against the stack. I am becomming somewhat of a master of avoiding that position however.The defensive position that I will avoid at all costs is the canopener and crucifix.
10/12/05 10:27 AM
rvboy

Edited: 12-Oct-05
Hey Rain Yes I occasionally do get stacked, but I try not to force against and just let it happen. What I really avoid is can openers and crucifix.
10/13/05 5:21 PM
Rainman

Edited: 13-Oct-05
I actually think being stacked is what caused this in the first place. About a week before it went, I was stacked like shit and I wouildn't tap. I eventually got out, but at what cost!! Its just so good to know you have got back up there with no surgeory. What about takedowns? Do you still work them, or are you paranoid to get thrown?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.