UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Bad C5-C6 Herniation Q & A please

12/28/08 12:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rvboy - Wow the Herniation disc post is still going on! Still dealing with mine. It's now officially five years old. Pretty well 100 percent now. Still have tingling in fingers though. I'm convinced I'll live with the tingling for life now. However thankful I've got what I have.

No kidding right. I come back occasionally to see how people are doing and there is always someone new with a similar problem.
Great info on here thats for sure.

On me: Ive been fully recovered for a while from my C5-C6 fusion and its like there was never a problem..

.. I am dealing with some mediocre lower back pain for the past 1 1/2 years, but my trainers seem to think its more core instability issue rather then disk... of course no one thought my neck was disk at first either LOL

just havnt had money for another MRI
12/29/08 5:10 AM
dojo stormer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buffgeo, are you back training fully again?

if so what do you do? and any types of treatment you would recommend, except the fusion. i'll look into that later on in probably 10-15 years when my neck gets chronic.
12/29/08 11:54 AM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/29/08 12:01 PM
yes i was back to 100% with in 8 months after my surgery and havnt had any problems since. ive competed a lot and even done the worlds since. The only thing that hasnt come back is my ability to over head pull (like pull ups). Thats nothing compared to what it was and im not sure ill ever do a muscle up again... but i can still do about 10 pull ups at a time so its not really that bad. it certainly doesnt hold me back from anything

I dont have much experience with treatments as my disk was blown beyond repair pretty much from the get go... so i went right to the surgery ... but man im glad i did.
12/30/08 4:33 PM
Sir Lawrence

Great thread. I have herniated disc and 2 protrusions in my neck.

Right now it is purely a mental thing with me cause I am kind of caught in between. I feel no pain and I don't need surgery as of right now and as long as I am careful I am cool. On the other hand I want to compete really bad but I have developed this huge fear of ending up paralyzed or something when before I would not even get nervous before a competition.

Just sucks.
2/13/09 11:25 PM
BUFFGEO

BUFFGEO - 
rvboy - Wow the Herniation disc post is still going on! Still dealing with mine. It's now officially five years old. Pretty well 100 percent now. Still have tingling in fingers though. I'm convinced I'll live with the tingling for life now. However thankful I've got what I have.

No kidding right. I come back occasionally to see how people are doing and there is always someone new with a similar problem.
Great info on here thats for sure.

On me: Ive been fully recovered for a while from my C5-C6 fusion and its like there was never a problem..

.. I am dealing with some mediocre lower back pain for the past 1 1/2 years, but my trainers seem to think its more core instability issue rather then disk... of course no one thought my neck was disk at first either LOL

just havnt had money for another MRI

Well, i figured out what my backpain is....

LOL

My Doc gave me these meds to see if it would help, it made me feel great. I went back and ask him what was wrong he said "congrat'z you got arthritis!... welcome to middle age"

LOL
10/7/09 9:54 AM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for travenbjj
11/15/09 12:18 PM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was diagnosed with a c6-7 herniation in March that is a "pretty bad bulge" according to the one surgeon I visited.

It happened December '08, and plateaued in pain/stiffnes etc in April. I can deal with this for life if need be. I take a moderate amount of Vicodin, Ibuprofen, and have Amrix for spasms if need be.

I'm scared shitless of surgery and even injections. My family doc recommends injections, and the surgeon recommended a fusion.

I've already been the conservative route trying physical therapy, mild chiropractic, and stretches etc.

Does anyone have any non-surgical ideas to get this thing off of the nerve? Like I said, I can deal with the pain if need be as I'm not having any neurological issues...But damn, I'd love to go back to living normally.
11/15/09 11:01 PM
BUFFGEO

May sound funny but ive heard fantastic things about inversion to relieve disc spacing problems.
I went and bought a table about 18mo ago. Ive never had an issue with my neck since my surgery but i figured with all the other benefits your supposed to get with it like better posture, circulation etc i figured what the hell it couldnt hurt... even if just for preventative medicine since i still train hard and compete

one thing I can say is it makes ya feel darn good

I think I was probably way to far gone but you guys that just have bulges and the beginnings of problems might benefit from a few minutes a day on one of those bad boys
12/23/09 7:35 PM
chavedebraço

Edited: 12/23/09 7:38 PM
I work for a group of neurosurgeons, and I deal with surgical patients all day.

Cervical (neck) fusion procedures usually are pretty successful. Patients have it done, after six months of recovery they don't need any further treatment. But there is some controversy about lumbar fusions. Some people say they just shift the injury up to the next vertebral space, causing further symptoms and requiring more surgical procedures.

Honestly, though, in my opinion, the vast majority of the surgical patients I see are slobs who never have taken care of themselves. A lot of them smoke, are fat, lazy and so on. I suspect a whole bunch are faking half their symptoms just to continue their steady stream of percocets prescriptions. I think the vast majority of back injuries can be rehabbed with physical therapy and hard work at the gym.

If you do have spinal surgery, be very careful about training afterward. You will have hardware holding your spine together for the rest of your life and that's not something to take lightly.
2/25/10 4:42 PM
nikmisko

ttt
2/25/10 11:36 PM
BUFFGEO

Glad to see this thread is still helping people 6 years later!
3/28/10 8:38 PM
dawley
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT....im an now suscribed to this thread
3/29/10 12:09 PM
BJJSavate

BUFFGEO - May sound funny but ive heard fantastic things about inversion to relieve disc spacing problems.
I went and bought a table about 18mo ago. Ive never had an issue with my neck since my surgery but i figured with all the other benefits your supposed to get with it like better posture, circulation etc i figured what the hell it couldnt hurt... even if just for preventative medicine since i still train hard and compete

one thing I can say is it makes ya feel darn good

I think I was probably way to far gone but you guys that just have bulges and the beginnings of problems might benefit from a few minutes a day on one of those bad boys

I got one of those...how often do you use it? For how long?

3/29/10 12:47 PM
BUFFGEO

By the time i got mine I wasnt having any problems anymore, Mines just preventative.... at first i was using it every day for like 10 min... somethimes twice a day. (new toy phase lol)

Now I moved it to my gym and I just jump on it for a few minutes whenever I think of it. Every couple days.

But if I had an injury or was worried that I might have an injury I would definatly make a schedule were I was on it at least once a day
9/7/11 9:07 AM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/19/11 7:15 AM
joemasepoos
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone here tried that " Neck Pro " device ? The one that hooks up against a door .

http://www.neckpro.com/using.html
9/19/11 11:55 AM
GaryG

joemasepoos - Has anyone here tried that " Neck Pro " device ? The one that hooks up against a door .

I used something similar. For me, it only provided minor, and temporary pain relief. YMMV
9/20/11 9:36 PM
Stooba
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joemasepoos - Has anyone here tried that " Neck Pro " device ? The one that hooks up against a door .

I made one myself out of a bit of rope and some towel. You tie the rope to each end of the towel to make a sling looking device.
It hangs from the door handle, you lie down on your back resting your head in the sling. The rope should be adjusted so that it's a few cms off the ground.

Found the instructions on the net somewhere many eons ago.
9/20/11 9:37 PM
Stooba
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone undergone hyperbaric oxygenation for disc problems?
12/5/11 12:21 PM
GaryG

ttt
2/29/12 1:32 PM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GaryG - 

I used something similar. For me, it only provided minor, and temporary pain relief. YMMV
For numbness relief, I use a Saunders home traction unit. It wasnt cheap, but insurance paid for most of it. That and ice are amazing for getting rid of the numbness (cerv.). I highly recommend all of you broke necks try one.

Now I rarely have neuro issues related to my lumbar bulge, but fuck man it kills all the time. If I'm not doped up it's killing... Stretching my hams does the best for relief, but it just seems like there isnt a good stretch for my lower back. The guy who diagnosed it said it wasnt that bad, but it sure as hell feels bad to me. I lose more sleep over my low back hurting than anything.

3/1/12 7:14 PM
Tommy Gunnz
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
3/6/12 10:39 PM
BUFFGEO

TheAssMurderer - 
GaryG - 

For numbness relief, I use a Saunders home traction unit. It wasnt cheap, but insurance paid for most of it. That and ice are amazing for getting rid of the numbness (cerv.). I highly recommend all of you broke necks try one.

Now I rarely have neuro issues related to my lumbar bulge, but fuck man it kills all the time. If I'm not doped up it's killing... Stretching my hams does the best for relief, but it just seems like there isnt a good stretch for my lower back. The guy who diagnosed it said it wasnt that bad, but it sure as hell feels bad to me. I lose more sleep over my low back hurting than anything.

I have a pretty jacked up low back/SI/hips and to be completely honest the only thing that helps is making sure I do my basic weightlifting and stretching ever day... doesnt have to be yoga but a good 20-30 min of solid basic stretching really helps.

If i get busy and dont workout/stretch after a week or so my back kills me, like you said I cant sleep and stuff... terrible.
As long as i keep that up I feel good enough to pretty much do everything I want
9/21/12 1:08 PM
GaryG

for Ptolemy
11/1/12 9:35 PM
FatFrenchFry

Bumped

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.