UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Street fighting - Who trains 4 it?

11/2/04 12:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
e. kaye
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Nov-04
Carrying a knife is useful for the following reason: If you are assaulted with a weapon it levels the playing field. Particularly if the assailant has a knife. Most muggers/attackers have no interest in having a knife fight. It is the old Mexican stand-off. So practice two things. First how to make room/ create distance, so that you can react. The second is to do one of the following. Carry a $20 wrapped around a matchbook or something heavy, with tape or a rubber band or a clip of some sort that makes it look like your Cash. If attacked throw it at the assailant and run. My prefered method is to carry in the same front pocket that I keep my cash in. I can "reach" and draw my cash and knife at the same time. The advantage is that it looks like you are cooperating. You can throw or drop the cash as a distraction, giving you time to open the folder and create space. There are "holsters" that you can put in your pocket to keep a folder in the proper position for a draw. PS-Nobody has brought it up, but a belt is a wonderful self defense weapon. One, you have to choose the belt correctly and two, understand how to use it.
11/2/04 9:13 PM
bigbrawler

Edited: 02-Nov-04
A mexican standoff haha being a Mexican I found that offensive. Anyway I like nonlethal self defence weapons. You know like locks or a steel weight as a fistload. (its about the size of a roll of quaters but its heavy.) It can make an arm punch pretty brutal. Both of theese weapons you can disregard after the altercation and not have to exsplain to the police that you used a weapon on a atacker. I personaly would never use a knife on a single atacker. I have been stabed in my life and i don't think I could do that to somone else. Its just to risky. I have however in the past when a guy threatened to kick my ass pulled out my knife and said fine lets do it. (he was standing at the time) I said if you take another step I will cut you somthing like that to sound tough. he actualy then took a step backwards. I then said fine and put my switch back in my pocket and balled up my fists and said how about now. He just sat down and had a drink. Most atackers/ oponents unless properly trained will freak out and run away if you pull a knife on them but the few idiots that are superman you have to cut them or they will kill you. The alternative being punching somone with a fist load and knocking them out on there feet at bare minimum will give you exscape time. In conclusion Knives bad other non lethal weapons Good
11/3/04 1:03 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 03-Nov-04
e.kaye: anymore details on the trial? Isn't the guys' girlfriend on trial as an accomplice as well? More details please.
11/3/04 1:20 PM
e. kaye

Edited: 03-Nov-04
There has not been anything in the papers for days.
11/15/04 10:28 AM
Willybone
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Nov-04
Plus karate (ot similarly effective martial training) will give you the confidence to walk out of a fight without fear.

Absolutely. Taking martial arts when I was a teenager pretty much neutralized all urge to engage in street fighting.
11/17/04 4:04 PM
e. kaye

Edited: 17-Nov-04
Umali was convicted yesterday of the lesser charge of manslaughter. THe jury found that he did not intentionally kill the bouncer. 25 to life is the potential sentence.
11/17/04 5:57 PM
Willybone
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Nov-04
Very interesting.
I would've thought his training would count against him and push it to murder2 at least. Not that 25 to life is much of a break, but he must be partially relieved.
11/20/04 3:10 PM
1groovyunit

Edited: 20-Nov-04
Interesting thread
12/23/04 3:33 PM
stuff hangin

Edited: 23-Dec-04
12/23/04 3:41 PM
stuff hangin

Edited: 23-Dec-04
Carry a weapon of any kind only if you are certain it cannot be taken from you and used against you as I have done to a few idiots who made the mistake of producing a weapon they were not capable of holding on to. I was kind enough not to hurt these numbskulls very badly, but someone else might not be so benevolent.
12/28/04 11:19 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 28-Dec-04
Wow, I got on this thread late. 25 to life is no joke.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.