UnderGround Forums

Vermont Underground >> MMA in Vermont

10/22/04 2:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Adam LaClair
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Oct-04
ImposeYourWill.com

Kirik has asked for us to post information about MMA in each state in our respective forums.  Here are the questions he specifically posed:

***What is the legal status of MMA in your state?

I am not sure if Vermont even has any legal status on MMA.  I've been wanting to check into this, but honestly just haven't had the time with so many other things going on lately. 

***What local events do you have?

The nearest MMA events we have are the ones in our southern neighbor state, Massachussetts.  There have been no MMA events in Vermont to my knowledge, not even "underground" events.  There have been a few BJJ/submission grappling tournaments, but even those have been few are infrequent.

***What is your gym like?

We are the ONLY true Mixed Martial Arts gym in the entire state of Vermont!!!!    For contact info or class schedules, visit www.adamlaclair.com

I have a small training area and classes usually run between 3 to 10 students at a time.  We train BJJ, no-gi submission grappling, boxing/kickboxing, self-defense, and there is one class devoted solely to a true mix of MMA skills.  Most of my students are primarily interested in pure grappling, but I have had 3 students fight MMA in the state of Mass. in the past, and interest in true MMA training has been back on the rise this fall.

***Are there any web sites about MMA in your State?

No sites that are dedicated totally to MMA.  My website, www.adamlaclair.com has had quite a bit of MMA info in the past, but in the latest revision I opted to leave most of it out.   www.massmma.com is dedicated to MMA in Massachussetts, where the closest events to us are held.

11/6/04 10:53 AM
DVD4EVER

Edited: 06-Nov-04
As one of Adam's students let me be the first to say this guy knows his stuff and in the short time I've been training with him I have been very impressed, and pleased with his classes and what i have taken from them
11/8/04 8:37 PM
vermonter
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Nov-04
As someone who has rolled with Adam i'll be the first to say that i have a scar from our encounter. cut those nails! -doug- PS. Fear not, the scar is fading ;)
11/12/04 11:56 PM
Adam LaClair

Edited: 12-Nov-04
ImposeYourWill.com
LOL @ Doug. Those weren't my nails, silly man - that was my Dim Mak attack upon your soul!! When the scar is completely faded, you will go into a coma.............. Seriously, thanks Dave for your kind words. Adam
3/30/05 7:04 PM
Cryptic
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Mar-05
I've been trying to find out if Vermont has banned MMA events or what the specific law is, does anyone know? Or does anyone know how to reach the athletic/boxing commission there?
3/31/05 12:07 PM
vermonter
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Mar-05
No idea Cryptic. Sorry. I have a hard time finding boxing schools let alone the damn commission. -doug-
4/15/05 4:49 PM
Adam LaClair

Edited: 15-Apr-05
ImposeYourWill.com

Cryptic,

There is currently ZERO regulation for MMA competition in Vermont.  It is not banned, but I would suspect it would quickly be called into the pervue on the state Boxing board.  There are 3 board members, appointed by the state Governor.  They have no "regular" schedule for meetings. 

As yet, no one has ever held an MMA competition in our state.  We have a very small population that is quite spread out, with only one real "city" area of any size.  We also have a lower than national average income as a state, with much higher than national average living expenses - as such, I doubt that anyone would be profitable in promoting an MMA event here.  Especially when there are terrific MMA productions going on 3 hours or less away, in Massachussetts.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.