UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> hi all!

10/22/04 3:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bigbrando
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Oct-04

hi guys. Just thought I'd finally jump on this forum. I usually stay clear because discussion on traditional martial arts usually results in name calling and "my martial arts i better than yours" comaprisons. But not so here. Great discussions by some people and look forward to discussing more topics :) Regards BigBrando
10/22/04 9:42 AM
Willybone
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Oct-04
Cool.
Are you currently training in something?
10/24/04 9:39 PM
bigbrando

Edited: 24-Oct-04
yup. Northern Shaolin as I'm very lucky that a great instructor decided to retire here in Oz
10/24/04 9:44 PM
bigbrando

Edited: 24-Oct-04
Willybone, I read the thread in "what does everyone study" and you said you learnt arnis. How are you finding it? I'm not going to ask "do you enjoy it?" cause that's kinda silly but any insights since doing it?
10/25/04 10:30 AM
Willybone
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Oct-04
Honestly, arnis has been a mixed bag so far, but mostly good.

Pros - It's fun. Weapons are cool. Sinawali (the semi-dancing partner drills in arnis) are way cooler than 2 step sparring or something. When the sticks are cracking fast, and you know that one slip up could end up with a broken hand or a big lump on your head, you can get pretty wired. I do feel like I'm getting some good weapon habits for self defense, like attacking the weapon hand and weaving movement. The few times I have sparred, it's exhilarating. We've also done some very interesting knife fighting seminars. Overall, the more I read about the Filipino approach to fighting, the more I like it. It can look very fluid, but the core is a very practical, un-mystic philosophy.

Cons - We very, very rarely spar. I am not as convinced as my instructor that training with the stick will lead to excellent unarmed fighting skills. The uniforms are painfully ugly. Any of this, I could easily overlook if we spent more time fighting.

I like it. I've got a tournament coming up next month, so I'll be able to learn exactly how little I really know soon.
10/26/04 5:02 PM
tjmitch
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Oct-04
bigb, what sort of Northern KF?
10/31/04 7:43 PM
bigbrando

Edited: 31-Oct-04
Willybone, that sounds pretty awesome! Why don't you guys do any sparring? I thought that you can purchase full contact sparring protective equipment (looks similar to Kendo, correct?) Either way I reckon it sounds pretty neat. I love weapons myself and the adrenaline rush is wicked! tjmitch, I'm not sure what you mean? Are you after a name or lineage or something? It's longfist if that helps any. Do you currently train?
11/1/04 9:42 AM
Willybone

Edited: 01-Nov-04
Why don't you guys do any sparring?
We do, but not anywhere near as often as I'd like.
I think there's a couple reasons.
One, it scares some new students. My instructor said it used to be mandatory for new students, but too many people got scared or discouraged.
Two, space. The room is only so big, so we can really only have one match at a time. Add up the time of the suiting up, the match, and the un-suiting, and two people wind up owning the whole floor for too much of the whole class time.

We're doing a bit more right now, because of the upcoming tournament. I think I really need to be training with other students on off days to get in enough fighting time.

And, yes, you're right. The armor is a bit like kendo's, and it is a blast when you get going.
11/1/04 4:02 PM
tjmitch
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bigb, I was wondering what sort of KF, as there are many that fall under the Northern banner. Longfist clears it up. I study a kempo based KF style, the school also offers a northern curriculum that has long fist, Tan tui and some other northen stuff, but I stick to the sothern side of the family with the kempo, shui chiao and kali( not KF, but fits in nicely )
11/1/04 8:06 PM
bigbrando

funny thing about northern longfist is that most have gone the way of wushu - all show, no go. hahaha ( I hope I don't get into trouble saying that) There's probably more recognition/fame in wushu *shrugs* As for me I enjoy the fight game so lucky I found a instructor that suited what I enjoy the most. tjmitch could you tell me more about what kempo is. I must admit that I'm pretty ignorant about kempo. I've heard of shui chiao (sp?) and also lots of other family styles like Hung Gar, Chow gar, Wing Chun, Chow Lay Fut etc etc but have not heard much about Kempo. Willybone, How do the tournaments work in Kali?
11/2/04 12:20 PM
Willybone

Edited: 02-Nov-04
Willybone, How do the tournaments work in Kali?
My understanding of the rules for our tournament coming up are:
-3 one minute rounds with 30 seconds of break between
-10 point "must" system for each round, like UFC
-no strikes below the armor (mid thigh)
-no strikes to the back of the opponent's head, unless you are facing each other and it's a retracting strike
-no gripping your opponent's limbs or clinching
-no butting or thrusting strikes allowed
-3 disarms (losing your stick through any means) is a automatic loss
-judges are looking for effectiveness, ring generalship, number of strikes landed, and variety of targets struck (although I'm sure of the order of importance there)

That's all I know so far.
11/3/04 6:26 PM
NowhereMan22000
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Nov-04
Can you get hurt? Does taking a shot hurt?
11/4/04 10:21 AM
Willybone

Edited: 04-Nov-04
Can you get hurt? Does taking a shot hurt?
In the WEKAF armor, using naked sticks, you can still catch a shot in a less padded area and it hurts. Last week, a stick got around a pad, opened up a decent cut on my elbow, and would've stopped me if it'd been my stick hand. For the most part, though, it's just shocking instead of painful.
We also do helmet and glove sparring with padded sticks. You feel that a lot more, but it still only stings a bit.
For the truly hardcore, sayoc and dog brothers do helmet and gloves with naked sticks. You can imagine what a shot to bony area would feel like. We're not that hardcore.
11/8/04 3:09 AM
bigbrando

Edited: 08-Nov-04
I've heard of the Dogbrothers and sounds like fun but you couldn't do that very often! hahaha You'd be crippled!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.