UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Elephant theory

10/22/04 4:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Frontin
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Oct-04

Has anyone heard of it? My friend talked about it a while ago and I forgot most of it.
10/22/04 11:16 AM
elgringo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Which one? I know of many "elephant theories". You've probably heard the phrase "Whatever you do, don't think of a pink elephant" It's not really a theory, just a demonstration of how the human brain works. Also, there's the Invisible Pink Elephant. This has a philosphical meaning because it makes you think, how can an invisible elephant be pink? How can something that is unseen have a property such as color? The Pink Elephant theory also refers to the argument against religion. You say "I have a giant invisible pet pink elephant, you cannot detect it in any way, but I assure you it exists". This is supposed to show how believing in an all powerfull, invisible and undetectable diety is just as ridicolous as believing in the invisible pink elephant. Both have an equal amount of evidece for ther existance. There's also the White Elephant theory of managment. But I doubt you mean that. Then there's the "eat an elephant theory". It just says you can eat an elephant bite by bite, in other words, you can accomplish a large impossible seeming task if you break it up into parts.
10/22/04 11:22 AM
elgringo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are also lots of anthropological elephant theories about evolution of elephants and even people. A hypothesis being thrown around is that elephants used to live in the water and came onto land about 30m years ago. When an elephant develops in the fetal stage, it grows a small gland near it's kidneys that later disapears because it's not used. The gland only appears in fetal elephants and marine maammals. There is more evidence that points to elephants being marine mammals originally (perhaps evoloved from manitees) but I don't remember it off hand.
10/25/04 10:05 PM
GrandpaB
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Oct-04
Did you know that elephants are the only animals that have 4 knees. All the others have 2 knees and 2 elbows (or joints that work like them). Grandpab
10/25/04 10:32 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Oct-04
And the 5 blind guys grabbing different parts of the elephant and thinking different things.
10/26/04 3:30 PM
HELWIG

Edited: 26-Oct-04
Contrary to popular belief, elephants have in fact been known to forget.
10/26/04 3:32 PM
Frontin
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Martial shadow, that is the one i am talking about. Can you explain it more?
10/26/04 5:21 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5 blind guys grab an elephant. First guy grabs an ear, second grabs the trunk, third grabs the tail, the fourth grabs a leg and the last guy grabs the body. Then you ask them what's an elephant like. First guy says its a thin broad animal, kinda like the folds of skin on a flying squirel, the second says its like a snake, the third says its a like a rat, the fourth says its like a pillar and the last says its like a big round blob. They all miss what an elephant is.
10/26/04 10:00 PM
SCRAPPER
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They all miss what an elephant is. Kind of like man-made religion. SCRAP
10/27/04 2:25 AM
RGoodfellow

Edited: 27-Oct-04
MS, that's an interesting story. I hadn't heard it before. Scrapper, I think you're on to something...
10/27/04 4:12 AM
Frontin

Is it "missing what the elephant is" or is it that all religions are all pretty much the same?
10/27/04 2:55 PM
SCRAPPER
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it "missing what the elephant is" or is it that all religions are all pretty much the same? All religions are the same in that they want you to accept THEIR definition of truth (in this case, what an elephant is like). Throughout time, sages have tried to lead people to experience the elephant for themselves, but most are simply content to hear someone else try and explain what it's like. You must experience 'the elephant' for yourself instead of taking someone elses word for it. SCRAP
12/12/11 4:32 PM
StevetheWeasel
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.