UnderGround Forums

Vermont Underground >> BJJ or MMA in Vermont

10/26/04 11:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GROUNDCONTROL
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Oct-04

I have a student who may be in Vermont for a month or two. HE is looking for a place to train while he is there. What schools are available in the Burlington Vermont area? Thanks for your help.
10/26/04 10:31 PM
vermonter
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the city of Burlington itself, he's got two options. (1)Vermont Brazilian Jiu Jitsu run by Julio Fernandez. He's got some tough guys to train with, and he's straight outta brazil, but he's pretty expensive, and he's extremely critical of outsiders. Depending on your affiliations, you may not be welcome there... (2) Catamount Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (The University of Vermont Team, and the team i belong to) coached by Chris Owen (purple under Roberto Maia, Renzo's cousin). Our doors are generally open to anyone as long as they are nice guys who come to learn. There is no charge. Check out UVMBJJ.com for our site, and contact Chris if your student plans to come to our school. Any questions before that, feel free to drop me a line: bjjconditioning@yahoo.com -doug-
10/26/04 10:35 PM
vermonter
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh, PS. Both schools offer gi and no gi (i'd say most classes are gi) If your guy is into MMA, we have one cage veteran, and a couple others who are interested, but the availability will be less. Adam Laclair, who is a bit of a hike from here (he'll tell you how far from burlington, im not sure) has an MMA class i beleive. -doug-
10/29/04 11:36 AM
Adam LaClair
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Oct-04
ImposeYourWill.com
My school is about an hour and 40 minutes from downtown Burlington and both the above schools. We are one hour from Montpelier, the state capitol. I have gi and no-gi grappling 4 days per week, and am teaching an "intro to MMA" class right now. I have one MMA veteran that just started training with us again, but college and the military have taken all my experienced MMA people. Your student is very welcome to come train with us. We have a "no politics" policy, pretty much the same as the UVM group. Just have him give me a shout, I can be contacted through my website, www.adamlaclair.com If he needs to stay right in Burlington, you can't go wrong with the UVM group. Adam LaClair
10/31/04 4:08 AM
Zviggy

Edited: 31-Oct-04
Doug, we had a young blue belt by the name of Chris Viscvich (sp??) come to Australia about 2 years ago or so. Is he still training with you's? Was about 60-65kgs.
11/1/04 8:32 PM
vermonter

Edited: 01-Nov-04
I dont think he's still training with us, although the name sounds very familiar (i'm terrible with connecting names and faces). Ill try to ask the coach, he remembers everyone. -doug-
11/2/04 10:45 PM
Zviggy

Edited: 02-Nov-04
Thanks Doug!
11/12/04 12:11 PM
owenz

Edited: 12-Nov-04
He used to train with Julio and came to our class once or twice two years ago. I haven't seen him since. You might try the directory on www.uvm.edu if you are looking for contact information for him. Craig came to class on Wednesday and seems like a good guy. Not often do we get 40 day vistors, usually just one or two day. He was still on the mat after I left so it looks like he has the bug.
11/17/04 7:45 AM
Zviggy

Edited: 17-Nov-04
Owenz, i got in contact with him. thanks for your help!
8/11/05 7:01 PM
matty

Edited: 11-Aug-05

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.