UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> FCP question - pixelized text

11/3/04 5:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mlkcarton
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Nov-04

In a sad attempt to avoid learning another program, I did my credits in Macromedia Flash, exported to an .mov file, then attempted to import to Final Cut Pro 3. The clip looks good in quicktime, but when it's imported, the text looks pixelized and blurry on the canvas. Any suggestions (other than learn after effects?)
11/3/04 9:29 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 03-Nov-04 09:33 AM
Are you outputting your animation at 720x534 so that it goes directly into NTSC format? Also: Create a sequence setting that is identical to NTSC but uses the Animation codec. Import your Flash doc into that sequence. You'll get perfect quality. Your Viewer and Canvas will match exactly. If you have motion, you can run it through that and then into FCP.
11/3/04 6:04 PM
mlkcarton

Edited: 03-Nov-04
Wow. Thank you so much! That has to be it. I exported the file at 720 x 480 - I didn't reaize that you had to export at 720 x 534. I'm not entirely sure about how to create a sequence using the animation codec, but I'll play around with it.

This is what you get when you do the DIY school of learning film editing... gsr

11/21/04 2:14 PM
mlkcarton

Edited: 21-Nov-04
Lynn, Ok - I'm at my mac now and still having a problem. The animation I imported at 720 x 534 looks great (both in the canvas and the viewer) until it's rendered - then it gets pixilated. Could you tell me how to make a new sequence with the animation codec? I can't seem to find anything about this process on the web. Thanks! gsr BTW - for your documentary - I have some decent connections with TOP Rank and Guilty boxing out here. If you'd like to work with any of their fighters I might be able to help with contacts...
11/21/04 3:57 PM
Lynn@Renzos

mlkcarton: The quality loss is from going to vector to bitmap, because that's what happens when you make a Flash file into a quicktime. You will need to create a new sequence all together. Set the parameters to match NTSC. Output your flash at 720x534 so that it matches the aspect ratio without needed to be enlarged. Thanks for the boxing offer!
11/21/04 9:51 PM
mlkcarton

Thanks Lynn - I think I got it. The animation looks okay, but not perfect. I suppose the lesson here is just to learn AE and forget using Flash as a animation tool for FCP. BTW, I should have my first short done in a few weeks. It sucks in a big way, but I learned enough to make a much better attempt at another film. I'll post it when I'm finished. gsr
11/22/04 1:14 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 22-Nov-04
mlkcarton...glad it worked out. Definitely avoid the whole Flash thing for anything other than webstuff. Go with AE, Live Type, or Motion. I'm looking forward to seeing it. I am going to start casting this comine week for a new short that I am going to shoot. I finished the script out this weekend and will run open casting calls for a month, then cull them down for auditions. I have gotten really positive feedback on the script so far.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.