UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> The Old Guy Still Has It

11/9/04 3:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
old-guard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Nov-04

arrived home after work and their was a homeless person on the bus stop bench across the street from my house. two guys about 20-21 years of age were accosting the homeless lady. they had pulled her blanket away from her and grabbing her belongings. i walked outside and asked them to leave. they didn't so i walked across the street. i, again, asked them to just leave and stop bugging the lady. they told me to get fucked and asked if i wanted my ass kicked. i told them that i didn't but would appreciate them leaving the defenseless lady alone. they came up to striking distance and reiterated their threat saying, "we are going to kick your ass old man." one was to the left of me and one was directly in front of me. the one to the right threw a right to my head as the other tried to kick me in the groin. i pivoted to the right into a soft bow which blocked the kick and by turning the right hand just grazed me. i struck the guy in front of me with a ridge hand and caught the guy to my left with a side kick to the ribs as he came in. they backed off and began circling me. it was then that i thought, what the fuck am i doing, i'm too old for this shit. they both charged and i moved to my right at a 45 degree angle and caught one with a right followed by a left handed palm strike. they backed off again. i was thinking by then of how long this might go on and would i get tired. fortunately a guy came out on a balcony of a house nearby and said he had called the cops. they split and i was glad they did. But, i was happy that i was able to still react quickly and appropriately. i have found with years and years of training that when i just react i perform well. i have found that with reacting i have much superior quickness and power as opposed to having pre-meditated intent. in other words, when i am not trying to hit hard i hit very hard. mushin no mushin- mind of no mind. anyone else experience this?
11/9/04 11:36 PM
bigbrando

Edited: 09-Nov-04
great job old-guard! That's the stuff we like to hear... there's hope for all of us yet :) BTW how old are you anyways? And yes that whole mind-of no mind has happened to me before but I thought it was cause I was so scared I forgot to think *grin*
11/10/04 5:58 AM
warmonky

Edited: 10-Nov-04
That was a cool thing to do man!
11/10/04 8:04 AM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

old-guard First, ya did a good thing and I'm glad you got out in one piece. "i have found with years and years of training that when i just react i perform well. i have found that with reacting i have much superior quickness and power as opposed to having pre-meditated intent. in other words, when i am not trying to hit hard i hit very hard. mushin no mushin- mind of no mind. anyone else experience this?" Yes. IMNSHO, I think its the best thing the Japanese added to karate. Mark
11/10/04 9:46 AM
Willybone
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You rock.
11/10/04 12:08 PM
Ogami Itto
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome. God bless you, glad you're okay.
11/10/04 1:05 PM
old-guard

55 as of xmas eve this year. my intent was good but i wonder what would have happened if i had to go for a lot longer. i've started more conditioning work lately
11/10/04 9:03 PM
SteelTalon

Major Props! Steel
11/13/04 8:10 AM
NowhereMan22000
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Nov-04
What is your training background old-guard?
11/16/04 12:31 PM
old-guard

Edited: 16-Nov-04
i was taught boxing skills by my father, a navy boxer, from elementary school thru junior high. i began martial arts training in tae kwon do with a transplanted jhoon rhee instructor, in 1970. i began training and competing with Tracy Bros in 1971. our studio competed extensively (remember the checkered depth perception gi's)earned my black belt after eight years. i trained for three years with keith haflich, who fought jeff smith for the world title and lost a close and disputed decision. trained with chuck force for a few years, a okinawan instructor and the most fearsome street fighter i have known. i owned and operated two kenpo schools for about fifteen years. trained with joe lewis for several years via his fighting seminars. i have, also, trained with eric lee, james ching.
11/17/04 9:36 PM
bigbrando

Edited: 17-Nov-04
wow those are some names. if you're gonna name drop then why no drop a few big ones, that's what I reckon! Great to see that all that training paid off. Stay healthy! Regards, BigBrando
11/19/04 10:01 AM
beernight
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Nov-04
what you did is what being a martial artist is about.. Good job.
12/17/04 7:26 AM
gakami

Edited: 17-Dec-04
that is a very cool story oldguard, what happened to the lady? good to know chivalry still exists.
12/17/04 6:07 PM
old-guard

Edited: 17-Dec-04
i collected her stuff and gave it back to her with a couple of more blankets
12/21/04 2:40 PM
GeeRoxx

Edited: 21-Dec-04
Great stuff old_guard!!!!! You remind me of my dad. The other week my mom, my dad and I were travelling to the mall in our van and we came to a 4-way stop. It was our clearly our turn to go and some punks late teens or early 20's just went ahead and almost hit us. As they passed they gave us the finger, made face gestures and laughed. My dad is old school and can't stand disrespect so he made my mom follow them a short distance to their parking spot. Before I could say fugget about it, my dad was out of the van bitch-slapping these guys in front of their girlfriends. Everyone actually calmed down soon after and my dad was lecturing them about respect and how kids these days don't have any. They apologized to my mom and left. Legally what my dad did was wrong and it could have been bad had they retaliated. But as I said my dad is old school and can't stand shit like that and will never change.
12/22/04 12:16 AM
Bunkou

Edited: 22-Dec-04
GeeRoxx - I never know how to respond to a story like that. The lawyer in me cringes at what could be serious criminal and civil consequences. The intellectual in me worries about what could have gone wrong if they'd been packing guns or knives. And then the man in me just wants to cheer (and thinks the world would probably be a better place if all men were like your dad).
12/22/04 9:22 AM
GeeRoxx

Bunkou, I know how you feel and I totally agree with you. If it was me, I would have let it go because I know the legal consequences and more importantly the dangers of what could have happened to my father. He has always been like that since I was a kid and I don't see him changing even if it meant it would kill him. Stubborn bastid! However I think Old-Guard did the right thing because TO ME that situation is unavoidable and unignorable.
12/22/04 12:32 PM
Bunkou

I salute your father for not being the modern day coward most of us have become (even if we justify it intellectually). And old-guard was definitely in the right, legally and morally. And he's no coward either.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.