UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Aikki-Jutsu

11/12/04 4:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Swifty26
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Nov-04

What do you guys know about Aikki-Jutsu? There is a dojo about an hour from where I live. And I thought about giving it a shot. http://www.aiki-jutsu.com/new_page_2.htm It looks interesting to me. Ive heard bad things about Aikido not working in real time. But reading about the way they trains and being that this isnt Aikido, but Aikki-Jutsu. I think it may be good.
11/12/04 6:32 PM
SambokneeMachine

Edited: 12-Nov-04
Aikijitsu is actually the parent style to both aikido, and various schools of traditional japanese jiujitsu (which eventually became modern judo). Ueshiba took the teachings in one direction, while Kano and his contemporaries took it in another. Aikijitsu stand up fighting resembles judo with aikido-like wrist locks added. The newaza would resemble that of judo, with wrist manipulations and leg submissions taught as part of the curriculum.
11/15/04 10:32 AM
Willybone
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Nov-04
Aikijitsu is also the basis for the korean art of hapkido. I learned some great stuff in HKD. We had the flowing motions of aikido, but always followed up with plenty of painful striking. I thought the soft/hard blend let students gravitate to whichever style felt better to them, and made for some well-rounded martial artists.
11/26/04 2:10 AM
theJJKid

Edited: 26-Nov-04
We have an Aiki Jutsu club affilliated (I use the term loosely) with our JJJ club. The guy who teaches it is really a mixed martial artist, with heaps of training in arts like sambo, krav maga, and BJJ. But he still teaches the art as passed to him by his master when he passed away. Anyway, I have trained with them a few times and it was all good, however I am not sure whether we doing only Aiki. It was a very informal environment, no bowing or meditation etc... I believe it may be more important to focus on how the people train. Is the training effective?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.