UnderGround Forums

Africa UnderGround >> Good coaches in S.A.

11/18/04 11:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Muzz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Nov-04

Hey guys, I'm currently looking at countries to move to and live for a year or two. (Live in Melbourne, Australia currently) The main condition being - ease of living and excellent BJJ! Obviously there is Brazil and the States, but having relatives in S.A. and having lived there myself, I thought I shd investigate. I was recently promoted to Brown and would be looking for a school that had a healthy, friendly, welcoming training environment - with plenty of students who can kick my arse! Can anyone help me out with some web sites to check out or people to email? thanks for the help, Murray.
11/19/04 11:46 AM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Nov-04
As a brown belt there will not be plenty of students who can kick your arse in South Africa. 2 gyms to check out though is Fighting Arts Institue in Cape Town (though they mostly do no gi and MMA) and African Street Tough run by Rodney King in Johannesburg. (Rodney - is that still the name? I've been away too long). But as said there wont be many that can kick your arse. Although most the people in South Africa are friendly and laid back, the standard is to Australia what Australia is to Brazil in bjj terms.
11/20/04 5:38 PM
Muzz

Edited: 20-Nov-04
Thanks for th info. I'll check them out. I thought that might be the case. In my recent trip to Brazil I was surprised to see how closely matched most belt ranks are between Oz and Brazil. Except they seem to get their Blues more easily and the top top guys in each belt div are in another world of competitiveness and ability! Nevertheless, it's close. So maybe S.A. is not too far off the mark either.
1/4/05 11:38 PM
Opash

Edited: 04-Jan-05
Hey Silk - Can you give me any info about the Cape Town Gym? I am gonna be there in a week or so and would like to get some training in if poss. (Actually may make a thread about it).
10/23/06 7:38 PM
foolu

Edited: 23-Oct-06
I think the gym to check out now in Cape Town would be Gracie Barra. Have not heard anything recently bout FAI, but have only heard good things bout them before. There is also a SBGi affliate in Cape Town. So 3 schools worth checking out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.