UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Lost the best hunting spot - EVER

11/21/04 8:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jscorbett
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Nov-04 08:20 AM

This thread is a memorium to my time spent at a place we called "Jumping Gulley."  An aerial picture of it is here:

Jumping Gulley

I am convinced that this place was the best hunting spot in our county.  The area to the left of the 2 ponds in the middle is a great funnel. I shot 8 pointers in this one location over each of the last 3 years. Last year, I probably hunted this spot a dozen times and saw deer all but twice. This area is a hill with old growth hardwood and loaded with food sources. I believe that the hill serves as funnel because it is located between 2 pastures and the deer cross from the woods on the east to bed in the creek area to the west. Not only was deer hunting good, turkey hunting there was the best. I took multiple turkeys there. One opening morning, I could have taken my annual limit of 3. That season, I limited the first week. Last year, I took a 10.5 inch long beard there. Last weekend the landowner met me at my truck when I was coming out of the woods at dark. He asked me who allowed me to hunt and I replied that the farmer renting the property did. He told me that the farmer couldn't do that and he didn't want me hunting there anymore. I asked him if the terms of the lease had changed because I had hunted the place for years. He sputtered for a few minutes and told me that the farmer had never had the hunting rights so he didn't want me to return. Romans 8:28 Has this ever happened to anyone else here?

11/21/04 6:11 PM
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Nov-04
i think property owners have the final say. it's his ass if something bad happens. stephen
11/22/04 2:37 AM
LowOtis
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Nov-04

I lost my best spot last year! every day I went I saw at least 5 does.( mules whitetail and moose) where there is does there are bucks. I shot a buck there every year for 3 years. It is crown land but you need to cross the guys yard for about 100 yards. to get to the crown land. he put up a gate last year. it is a forest service road and the guy should not have the rights but he dose. some one pulled the gate down last year and this year there was two gates. I don;t mess with the guy. I guess I'll need a ATV to get in on some of the cow paths.

oh yeah it was 23 min from my house and I could hunt with a car.

I hope you find a new spot and good luck.. I have found and other good place and will go out tomorrow and try to get my second deer of the year.

11/22/04 3:15 AM
LowOtis
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Nov-04 03:39 AM
oh yah i'm in Kelowna BC Canada. this is not me but the deer was taken around here!! i shot his grandson, ;)
11/23/04 7:51 PM
jscorbett
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Nov-04
What does that buck score? Any idea? If not, I might try to guestimate it.
11/24/04 8:24 PM
jscorbett

Edited: 24-Nov-04
I am guessing it will score 208" without deductions.
11/26/04 6:59 PM
LowOtis

Edited: 26-Nov-04
"This deer was shot near Dryden one half hour after legal time and seized by Ministry of National Resources. It is estimated that the rack scores 41 points over the world record. It is an 18pt whitetail. I guess that this one will make it to the Wall of Shame in Dryden District MNR!" http://www.taxidermy.org/

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.