UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Has Philo Caused U problems??

11/22/04 2:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sanguine cynic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Nov-04

Philosophy has caused me many problems. My constant questioning about who i am, who i want to become, how will i accomplish this, what will i do with my philo degree, how should i live my life has left me without a stable sense of self. There is not a single thing that i do not analyze to death. Plus my constant Cartesian like skepticism never allows me find the answer to anything, it seems like endless questioning. I am never living in the moment because I am always contemplating. I can't really have serious conversations with anyone because I will think they are full of shit plus i don't have any answers myself. I don't know what is true, right or wrong and sometimes whats real. Anyone else ever encountered similar problems?
11/22/04 7:38 AM
Saeban

Yeah, same here. I experience virtually everything you mention, plus some other things like weird sensations, and strange forms of deja vu of this exact life lived previously. I have Nietzsche to thank for that. I mean, his book, Human, All to Human, is just so negative its not funny after having been funny after the initial not funny. He doesn't even have a position in that book; he just chopped everything up left, right, and center. A friend told me that the Antichrist, another of his books, is even worse... Something to do with Nietzsche slaughtering his hopeful new position in Zarathustra. Makes you feel bad about yourself. That's if, like me, you can't out argue the bugger... :(
11/22/04 4:58 PM
Dogbert

I got over this. My interest in philosophy began somewhere in my puberty. In the beginning I was interested in very spiritual stuff, I was a seeker. And very sad. I then moved to a certain form of scepticism, called radical constructivism. This philosophical system had a very great influence on me and helped me not to take the burden of life to seriously. Then I realized how pointless and nonsensical much of the scepticism was and moved to logical positivism, a philosophy that doesn´t give much answers but got me rid of many questions. This is pretty much where I´m standing, with no problems whatsoever.
11/22/04 6:41 PM
sanguine cynic

It also doesn't help that i am genetically disposed to anxiety. I'll check out some logical positivism.
11/22/04 8:01 PM
vermonter
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's never bothered me and i've been diagnosed with depression. Philosophy gives me hope, it doesnt take it away. -doug-
11/22/04 8:59 PM
Saeban

I have to admit that I really like the variety of responses in this thread. Thought I'd just throw that in.
11/23/04 10:01 AM
ChemicalSage
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Nov-04
I'm feeling good right now too. Once I figured out my god issues, things cleared up. Three cheers for logical positivism.
11/23/04 11:36 AM
sanguine cynic

vermonter, I am very surprised you were diagnosed with depression, you always seem upbeat. Dogbert, Am I wrong? Or are logical positivists no longer existant?
11/23/04 12:29 PM
Dogbert

Well, there is pretty much noone around who calls himself a lp. But there is considerable debate about how much of it has been integrated in mainstream analytical philosophy.
11/23/04 12:51 PM
vermonter
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SC, It's seasonal, so perhaps you are recalling my happier summertime posts ;) In any case, when I write it could be that my emotions are less apparent and also, being on this particular forum is a form of escapism i suppose that allows me to temporarily forget (or at least displace) my depressive attitudes. I assure you that all the rest of the time (during 60%-70% of the year at least) i am quit an emotional wreck. I do, however, greatly appreciate your sentiments :) -doug-
11/24/04 9:53 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 24-Nov-04

"But there is considerable debate about how much of it has been integrated in mainstream analytical philosophy. "

wouldn´t a former Log. Positivist call himself a Instrumentalist these days?

11/24/04 11:34 PM
Furey

Edited: 24-Nov-04
philosophy has completely changed my life, and I'm not sure if it was for better or worse.
11/28/04 1:45 AM
amorphous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Nov-04
The exact thing has happened to me. I found it all interesting at first now I fucking despise it. I'm too analytical and questioning. I feel like I find hope in nothing. I've since lost interest and am just trying to live life as I see fit. Fuck the whole thought process of whether it has a point or where I'm going. I just want to be happy at least 50 percent of the time.
11/29/04 12:00 AM
IamLegman

Edited: 29-Nov-04
I too was once like that...but then I read something.... It was by an old philosopher looking back on his life, he said, " While I was sitting around trying to figure out the mysteries of the universe, all the other guys were out there kissing all the pretty girls!" That shit ain't gonna be me fellas....no way. So grab a beer, get laid, and lighten the fuck up! That is all.....................
11/30/04 7:31 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 30-Nov-04
I dont read nearly as much as I used to. But I seem to be moving towards accepting things like atheistism, fatalism, and existentialism. The only stuff I really like is the basic poltical stuff by Locke and Hobbes. I actually lost a friend recently over where or not things existed in black and white or just in shades of grey. Most of the time im busy thinking about terrorism and civil discourse and the relation and need for each. The thing that I have come to embrace more than anything else is that idea that people are just people no ideas are correct or totally wrong. We are forced to read of alot of the same books because the people who wrote them are or were so great or so we are told. The stance that Marx and Freud take on religion is prehaps the best thing ive ever learned. Yet few people know what they said on the subject and even fewer believe it.
12/5/04 8:57 PM
vermonter

Edited: 05-Dec-04
Gusto, I fell off the vegan wagon pretty hard about a year ago! Still have the depression though, so it must not be that. Anyway, i'm in a much better place then i have been for a few years now (going to school full time now, rather then being just a working stiff) so that helps out BIG time. Finally doing what i want. I have my lovely girlfriend to thank for that. She definitly supported me in realizing my dreams. It's about fricken time i started to learn something. I thought i was destined to be a perpetual idiot! -doug-
12/19/04 5:18 PM
sanguine cynic

Edited: 19-Dec-04
iamlegman has the best post on this thread. My problem is that philosophy has caused me to think too much about my own actions, putting everything i do into some kind of doubt. Should I be doing this? I think this plays on a natural disposition i have towards anxiety and depression inherited from my Jewish side of the family, which you could equate to woody allen without the funny.
1/23/05 5:41 PM
Chang

Edited: 23-Jan-05
I used to be like that, thinking about how you think, reasoning out your reasoning, and pondering about your ponderings. It makes it extremely difficult to just live in the moment, but I suppose it also depends on what you mean by living in the moment. To truly live in the moment, you have to have an understanding of what it is that you are living for, or else you would even know what it is that you are living in. I believe that sometimes, everything will just click together and you are just free in every possible way, and that is living in the moment, and the only way through that is by going through that process of questioning and thinking. It is the difference between someone who just gets caught up in the moment by getting drunk, high, or whatever, and someone who has dedicated a lifetime to some love, some passion, and is doing it to the fullest and living that moment. And though the second freedom is much harder to achieve, it is much more meaningful and real than the first kind.
2/11/05 11:41 AM
DuSmiEthwhi

Edited: 11-Feb-05
yes, I masterbate to Emily Dickenson poerty now - j/k
4/5/05 10:21 PM
Baki

Edited: 05-Apr-05
problems.....??? well, i have way too many books to read now, and i'll be dead before i ever find a suitable answer. otherwise, it does tend to make me both giddy and depressed..... but i'm a literature major, interested in intellectual history, rather than hardcore philosopher per se.....so i can always resort back to art.... afterall, everything is art, even philosophy. btw, i'm really getting into modern japanese philosophy these days, and they tend to really blur the lines like that.....yeah for me.
4/6/05 3:44 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Apr-05
Modern Self-Defense Center
I think Steve Martin nailed it when he said: "If you study something like Geology, it's all facts and numbers, and you forget all that when you graduate. But in Philosophy you learn just enough to screw you up for the rest of your life...."
4/19/05 3:38 PM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 19-Apr-05
The hardest part of philosophy is the more you get into it, the more you think and analyze and the more you see that everyone is full of shit. Socrates had that problem and it got him executed. What bothered me the most is that I use to care. I cared about the truth and hated that people were living in anything but the truth. The trick for me was to not give a shit. I don't care if everyone is blind including myself. I don't take philosophy seriously anymore... its more of a hoby, for fun.
4/21/05 11:26 AM
vermonter

Edited: 21-Apr-05
Ruthless, I think if you had gone a bit deeper you'd change your mind. Philosophy doesnt give me the perspective that everyone is full of shit at all. In fact, quite the contrary, it helps me to see where people are coming from. Besides, not only was Socrates wrong, but he's also dead. Study someone newer ;) -doug-
4/21/05 6:08 PM
DonnaTroy

Edited: 21-Apr-05
FudoMyoo See that this thread is directly related with that of "Blind faith, blind doubt".
4/22/05 2:25 AM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 22-Apr-05
vermonter . just because you understand where someone else is comming from doesn't mean that they're not still full of shit.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.