UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> what about a masters in journalism

11/29/04 11:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hekster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Nov-04

I getting ready to apply to grad schools for fall of 2006. I am thinking of applying for masters programs in journalism and PHD programs in international relations. I want to go back to school, but I just can't handle the poverty lifestyle for 6 more years right now. I want something that will get me job. All the things that I find interesting now are public relations jobs that require journalism education or experience. I didn't really intern in my field, because the jobs you can get with just a BA in IR don't really interest me. Any thoughts?
12/15/04 11:06 PM
hekster

Edited: 15-Dec-04
Also, most employers in journalism prioritize experience over education, so I would basically be going to school for the initial connections into entry level journalism, should I go that route. The masters does help with journalism related jobs.
2/28/05 6:09 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 28-Feb-05
the only people I know who have masters degrees in journalism teach classes because they are shitty writers. What do you need the MA for? Or are you just not a good enough writer? Also public relations is very difference from journalism what ive learned. Not sure how being a better journalist would help you get a job in PR. Why the Phd in international relations? It would be hard to get just a Phd in that without a masters I would think. Also, if you want a masters in journalism you would probably need to show that you had a strong background in that during your undergrad.
4/8/05 6:49 AM
The Detriment

Edited: 08-Apr-05
Journalism makes a good major if you're looking to go into PR, because PR relies on so much writing and so much interaction with the media/press. Journalists frequently make the jump over to PR because they know the publicity business inside and out. I'm sure a masters wouldn't hurt you, but ultimately experience in the field will be the most valuable asset you have.
10/10/07 1:44 PM
jaseprobst
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Oct-07
Dude, total waste of time unless you want to go into teaching. One look at somebody's writing samples is like a DNA screen. You can tell what level they are at, and I always paid more attention to that in screening applicants than looking at their school or credentials.
10/12/07 12:07 AM
thesleeper

Edited: 20-Nov-07 04:12 PM
that is probably a waste of time
10/12/07 2:47 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 12-Oct-07
where at?
10/12/07 3:44 PM
thesleeper

Edited: 20-Nov-07 04:12 PM
edited

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.