UnderGround Forums

Colorado Underground >> Where in Colorado do you all live

12/6/04 9:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Davidkamau
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Dec-04

I live in Greeley, I go to school at UNC I have trained in Kajukenbo, I grew up wrestling and I recently started my MMA training, oh and I did taekwando when I was like 5 but I dont think that counts. Anyway there doesnt seem to be too much going on around here. What about everyone else?
12/10/04 5:24 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Dec-04 05:25 PM
There is BJJ Boulder in Boulder. Renzo Gracie black belt Amal Easton has trained several successful MMA fighters as well as BJJ champs He has a very tough Purple belt that teaches in Ft. Collins also at Kim Yee's karate west www.bjjboulder.com
12/28/04 11:35 PM
Timbo
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Dec-04
Down in the Springs. Sure wish someone would open up a dang BJJ school down here.
1/4/05 5:29 PM
Davidkamau

Edited: 04-Jan-05
Timbo have you trained in anything?
1/4/05 5:41 PM
Timbo
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jan-05
I did BJJ when I was down in Texas, but that was two years ago. One stripe white belts could probably kick my butt by now. There's plenty of TKD dojos around here, but that's about it as far as martial arts in the Springs...
1/5/05 4:17 PM
Davidkamau

Edited: 05-Jan-05
It would be nice if there were more people in Colorado talking, so thanks for your response Timbo.
1/11/05 5:25 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jan-05
Denver here...really Lakewood- wanted to train again...was going to try Mauricio Zingano or David Ruiz but think my neck fusion put an end to that :(
1/12/05 5:01 PM
Davidkamau

Edited: 12-Jan-05
Sorry to hear about your neck, did you ever check out the schools?
1/28/05 4:11 PM
71sport408

Edited: 28-Jan-05
Hey guys I'm in Gunnison. Came from Southern California. Need to find somebody to start training with!
1/29/05 6:31 PM
Chuckk

Edited: 29-Jan-05
I live near Ft. Collins. Lots of good places to train within an hours drive. Amal Easton's Nate Marquart Grappler's Edge Kim Yee (for BJJ) New BJJ classes offered in Loveland (can't remember the instructor's name at the moment. . .) 3d martial arts (I think is the name) in Denver. . . For myself I work with a small (8 guys) training group of like minded athletes most of the time--when I'm not injured--I seperated my left shoulder the day before Thanksgiving, so I haven't been back at it--except for some lifting the last week or so, and some runs and intervals. . . I go down to Amal's every couple of months to roll on an open day, and have worked out with Nate Marquart a couple of times as well. . . Very cool stuff! Chuck
1/30/05 3:50 PM
71sport408

Edited: 30-Jan-05
Chuck you are lucky, wish I had all those options. I know how the injury thing goes, I broke my leg over a year and a half ago and I'm still battling it!
1/31/05 5:09 PM
Davidkamau

Edited: 31-Jan-05
Hey Chuckk, what kind of training do you do with your "group of like minded athletes" also, I have been thinking about trying out Kim Yee's how does the school look?
2/1/05 1:48 PM
Chuckk

Edited: 01-Feb-05
David, We primarily work MMA, though we often break it down into components. . . Standup, clinch and ground. We also play some weapon stuff: sticks, knife work, firearm (range, dry fire hand to hand, scenario, and force-on-force simulation). The group is a mix of local LEO and corporate types. . . Very relaxed. . . training for performance. . . low ego drag. . . though it can be hard to get all of us in one spot to train, due to scheduling, families, et cetera. . . As to Kim Yee's, He is a great guy, very quiet, solid teacher, used to be a very good amateur kickboxer. . . Though what he teaches is "mostly" pure TMA. He has a BJJ class going, but I've never visited it. And though I know several that take his TMA class, I don't know anyone that is in his BJJ classes. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Take care, Chuck
2/2/05 5:57 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-05
David, The guy that teaches BJJ with Kim is Larry King (no relation to the talkshow host) A solid Purple Belt from Amal Eastons Boulder Academy... very technical dude
2/14/05 7:22 PM
grapplerX

Edited: 14-Feb-05
Haha...talk about joining the thread late. I'm in Colorado Springs and did most of my BJJ training over leave at home in Michigan. I'd like to pick it up again and even lookin to try and learn some mma.
3/20/05 12:49 AM
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-05
David, I was in Greeley for four years, now my little brothers are up there. I trained at Rocky Mountain Martial Arts in Greeley on 8th. I trained with Ron Waterman there. It was a pretty good school. The teacher is a Flavio Behring Purple, probably a brown by now. Anyway, I took the name of my area code, 303, I love Denver, born and raised here, 3rd generation Coloradian, I live in littleton. 303
3/20/05 11:31 AM
buddie
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-05
I live in Greeley. Its hard to train up here. They had a BJJ academy but it closed down due to not enough enrollment. As 303 said, it was Rocky Mountain Martial arts. The guy's name is Charles Tucker who runs it. I trained there for a while prior to its closing. I also trained for a while under Nate Marquart and you can't go wrong there, but the commute is tough from Greeley unless you have a very open schedule. It's hard to find people in the area with interest in fighting but I have a few freinds in the area. Even harder is finding space to train. I would definantly be interested in training with you. A couple friends of mine are discussing setting up a grappling / MMA club at the local rec. e-mail me at badintentionsko@aol.com and let me know if you are interested in working out. Right now I am boxing, but I can give you some tips on finding other quality training in the area if you are interested, because you definantly have to know where to look if you are planning on not straying far from Greeley. buddie
3/22/05 12:14 AM
Danzis
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Mar-05
I'm from Greeley and going to UNC too. I'm who buddie is talking about- I'm trying to get a club going through UNC to do some bjj rolling and boxing or whatever going. I'd like to be able to get a time slot at the Rec Center like those silly fencing fellows.
3/23/05 7:11 PM
Davidkamau

Edited: 23-Mar-05
I went to a couple of the fenceing practices last year, its not too great I think most of the anime club was in it and it was pretty annoying. And Buddie, You Have Mail, can't wait for a response
3/24/05 2:55 PM
Danzis
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Mar-05
lol Yeah... I hear them talking to each other in the locker room after workouts. Seems like an anime group to me. :-)
3/26/05 8:14 PM
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Mar-05
I tried training at the rec. No good place to train there. No mats, nothing. 303
3/28/05 12:11 PM
Davidkamau

Edited: 28-Mar-05
hey 303, your little brothers go to UNC also? do they train at all?
4/4/05 12:52 PM
buddie
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Apr-05
David, e-mail me and we'll set up some time to train. buddie
4/12/05 2:34 AM
bailey

Edited: 12-Apr-05
colorado springs.. trained under miletich for about 5 years. I wouldnt mind finding a weekly open mat session or anything similar sometime if anybody knows of anything zach bailey
4/12/05 5:29 PM
Davidkamau

Edited: 12-Apr-05
hey buddie and danzis, We can use the mats in gray hall I just need to find out what time you guys want to do it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.