UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> MiniDV Green Screen Compositing?

12/7/04 10:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lynn@Renzos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Dec-04

Hey guys. Any of you have any experience using a green screen with MiniDV? I am going to pick up a green screen and stands today. I shoot with a Panasonic DVX100 and wanted to know if any of you had worked with one or not. Advice etc.
12/8/04 12:25 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 08-Dec-04
I picked up a nice green screen and support system today. I'll be working some action with it in the next week or so. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
12/8/04 2:01 AM
asymmetrik

howdy lynn, i've got experience lighting blue/greenscreen for film. haven't tried it with video. i think it's probably the same but post/fx people can be pretty picky/specific for what's best to do the key. the most important thing is to make sure you're evenly lit across the whole area. since you'll probably need to use multiple lights for even coverage, make sure that there's less than 1/4 stop variation in any areas of overlap etc. also be sure that all your lamps are burning at the same color temperature. it'll be great that you're doing it digital and can pull the key right there on your laptop on set. good luck!
12/8/04 2:15 PM
Dragon

haven't had the pleasure of working with one myself, but a buddy of mine is building his own green screen for a fanfilm he's doing. I haven't really gotten into the whole fx thing yet, so I haven't had need for it. Heard a lot of guys on fanfilms.com talking about it though, for more info you might check those guys out.
12/9/04 4:21 AM
SatanJR

Edited: 09-Dec-04
I shot a music video on minidv that was all green screen. The key is lighting the screen as evenly as possible and lighting the subject seprately. Keep the subject as far away from the screen as you can, at least 6 feet or so and have the lights for the screen behind the subject. When applying the chromakey, you want to apply a really slight blur to the green channel only to soften the edges of the key. I also have found that if you color correct the footage to pump up the green it helps knock out any shadows. I have a pretty nice, large portable green screen now, but when I shot the video, I moved all the furnature out of my living room and covered an entire wall with flourescent green poster board, and it worked great.
12/9/04 11:13 PM

Edited: 09-Dec-04
I've shot miniDV with a blue screen and had great results. You can see the end product at www.realitycombat.tv under the downloads section. Go to the first Big Poppa Schnake DL and you'll see it a couple minutes in. Something you might want to look into is Ultra (I think Ulead makes it but not sure). It works great for not so prefectly lit conditions. It also comes with a nice library of virtual sets.
12/24/04 4:51 PM
TheAx

Edited: 24-Dec-04
I used a green screen for the kickboxing.tv show. I purchased some bulk green material from Walmart. It cost me about $15 for a big ream of it. If you search on the net, you can find websites which give suggestions for setting up a greenscreen/bluescreen. SatanJR's suggestions are on point. You don't want any shadows from the talent to appear on the greenscreen. That is why you need the screen to be further away and you also need to light the screen separately. You should have angled lighting or lighting from the sides aimed at the talent so their shadows don't fall behind them. Having the screen further away also causes the little wrinkles or imperfections of the screen to show up less. Of course, if you use a green fabric like I did then you want to iron it out before attaching it. Blurring the green channel a little bit is a good idea. I didn't think of that. You have to be careful with how you light the green screen. You don't want the green to be reflected off the screen onto the talent. That will cause the chromakey effect to not have a clean line. The MiniDV cam that I used is a cheaper model. The cam used on location (at the Kickboxing events) is a higher end model. I didn't think I needed a good one for the studio, but I was wrong. The one I use shows some noise in dark areas. The chromakeying effect wasn't perfect because of this. You want the greenscreen to be BRIGHT because of this reason. Dark spots in the video tend to show noise. Also, a bright chromakey color is less likely to show up on the talent in their clothing.
12/24/04 5:28 PM
SatanJR

Edited: 24-Dec-04
Also, if the subject is pretty stationary you can use masks to block out imprefections on the greenscreen.
12/27/04 12:04 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 27-Dec-04
Thanks guys for all of the feedback! I am going to shoot some this week. I haven't had a moment to set it up and check it out. I'll post some results once I get something done.
2/21/05 4:04 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Feb-05
The CSPT
I use green screen in all our new DVDs. It has worked great. I shoot on a Canon XL1s or GLs. Lighting is the key. I've used the WalMart bulk green material and a 20 X 15 green curtain. Final Cut Pro 4/HD has the color smoothing filter which has been a big help. Most people will tell you it's a no go on DV but I've done it, many times. What's funny is I've seen some big outfits like MTV do some weak green screen and they are on DV Cam. Demi www.DemiBarbito.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.