UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> all styles are mixed martial arts

12/10/04 1:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
emptiedcup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Dec-04

I teach traditional martial arts as well as todays modern mma..i.e. submission wrestling/vale tudo but i've also studied many styls for a good period of time over my 24 years of training and six years ago i opened my own school where i teach my own systems of martial arts...a kickboxing system, sub grappling system, karate system, and jutsu system. These are all mixedmartial arts systems. I guess my point is...aren't all systems mixed from the very beginning? the founders of various systems 100s and 1000s of years ago took technique from various systems or instructors and developed their own system....i don't believe a person should develop their own system if it is not any different from something else out there but if the system you develop is unique i don't see where its a problem since all martial are mixed systems...pick a system and i guarantee it was mixed at some point in time...i know my systems are very practical, efficient, and comprehensive and i have instructors from all over come train with me...but i guess i'm just curious as to what you all think is 1) considered a mixed martial art 2) opinions on developing your own system and style.. thanks...
12/15/04 12:48 AM
bigbrando

Edited: 15-Dec-04
funnily enough I agree that all styles are basically mixed anyways. My instructor was telling me about this cause that's what his instructor told him. Basically they all trained with different teachers, style etc anyways so most arts out there mixed. Geez hoped that made some sense. Just trying to agree with emptiedcup :p As for developing your own system and style: isn't that what martial arts is about? Finding what works for you? I'm sure that anyone whom has done martial arts for a long time and has fought or gained experience one way or another can be a useful source of information on the strategies they used and what works and what doesn't.
12/16/04 3:43 PM
beernight
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Dec-04
you should always be evolving as a student of the martial art as well as a fighter. Look at the stances taken (fighting in tournaments) like 20-30 years ago. You don't often see that anymore.
1/4/05 6:29 PM
Portuguese2002

Edited: 04-Jan-05
Mixed Martial Arts are mixing "FUNCTIONAL" and "REALISTIC" techniques that work against "UNCOOPERATIVE" & "RESISTING" opponents. These moves are tested through introduction, isolation and integration levels to prove its "EFFECTIVENESS". Usually these mixing of styles include the following mixes of : Brazilian Ji-Jitsu, Judo, Sambo, Wrestling (Freestyle, Greco-Roman & Catch As Catch Can), Boxing, Thai Boxing (Muay Thai) & North American Style Kick-Boxing. There is the exception that a top MMA fighter has a background in a more traditional style (example - Chuck Liddell and Kempo) but its his combination of Boxing, Thai-Boxing and Wrestling,BJJ defense that makes him one of the top MMA fighers today.
1/16/05 7:21 PM
m.g
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jan-05
Mixed Martial Arts is a misnomer. MMA is not made up of martial arts but rather combat sport styles, namely: Bjj, Boxing, Wrestling, Muay-thai Other similar combat sports made also turn up in the mix (depending on the exposure of and availability to the individual participating in MMA) These are: Judo, Sambo, other kickboxing styles. If a person has a martial art background like karate or kenpo, it doesn't mean much because none of the techniques seem to make its way into the what we call MMA. In my mind the term MMA should be change to reflect its true nature. MMA should be called MCSF (Mixed Combat Sport Fighting). As far as people making up their own systems and styles. Well that is something people have been doing since martial arts and combat sports have been around. True be told it is very hard to come up with something that doesn't already exist in the world of the martial arts and combat sports because the human body its hasn't change over the years. It can only move in so many ways thus there are only so many attacks and defenses it can do. A person is bound to rediscover things which have already ready been developed and test but fell into disuse or died with the individual. When a person develops a system it is based on how what they feel should be taught and their experiences.
1/27/05 11:39 AM
Naughty Gorilla

Edited: 27-Jan-05 11:41 AM
Wow i think you guys really missed the point of the first post.. "I disagree that TMA are “mixed.” I f you go to a traditional Shotokan school you will only learn punches and kicks." Shotokan came from chinese influences which were themselves formed from older schools.. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a style whose founder didn't himself study as many styles as he considered effective
2/11/05 3:42 AM
JasonGV
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Feb-05
I think the term MMA refers specificly to a particular kind of training that is geared to sport fighting. The actual mix can vary, Nogueira is BJJ and boxing, Fedor is Sambo and boxing. But the common goal is proficiency in the ring and consequantly building skilled fighters. Since only certain things are effective MMA fighters generally use the same styles ie Boxing/Kickboxing for striking, wrestling/judo for takedowns. If I trained Karate & aikido I am not training MMA. So yes most styles are mixed, but they are not MMA in the way the term is generally used.
4/17/05 2:15 PM
mandalalisten

Edited: 17-Apr-05
tma and style brought form. mma brought pure methodology. I'm sure the two will merge again sometime in the future. We divide things are humans. See thru perspective lenses of culture and personal subjective judgements.
4/17/05 7:32 PM
mandalalisten

Edited: 17-Apr-05
what if
4/20/05 2:24 AM
twinstealth

Edited: 20-Apr-05 02:31 AM
I can vaguely see the point, but there are so many instructors out there that insist that there styles are the best. Because of this assertion, their teachings become quite rigid, and their ego's get in the way of progress. They focus on this stance, and that direction, this focal point of attack, and that particular defense; thinking "In all my years of experience, I know best." In this prevalent scenario, the styles taught are anything BUT mixed martial arts. People get too hung up on styles, naming them, and thereby restricting them. This kind of teaching is fairly common, and is far from MMA, in the way you are referring to it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.