UnderGround Forums

New York Underground >> NY MMA training league

12/12/04 3:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lkfmdc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Dec-04 03:13 AM

Ohio is about to accept a set of standardized rules for amateur MMA. We see this as a great thing and would like to get our local comissions in both NY and NJ to consider similar sets of rules. In order to do this, we'd like to get some people together to play with different sets of rules. This would NOT be a competition. This would be informal workout sessions, friendly, SAFE and SUPERVISED That is no injuries, no BS and no egos... Also, we're trying to get a company to develop the gear, so there might be some free crap in it for you! LOL If you'd be interested, shoot me an email at lkfmdc@att.net
12/17/04 2:29 AM
bsktrap
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Dec-04
Sounds like a good idea. I'd like to try and come down for this in the new year. BTW- It was nice meeting you today. I was the guy training with SamboSteve. Nice gym, and the fighters I saw working out seemed real good. Your DVD player leaves something to be desired though! Seriously, all in all, I was impressed with the gym.
12/17/04 11:00 PM
lkfmdc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Dec-04
oh, HEY! Nice to meet you too! Well, as soon as you left, the DVD player worked just fine, bummer :( Actually, those were just students working out, but I'm glad you liked what you saw... The league should go into effect in January, SamboSteve and I will both be helping out...
1/8/05 12:12 AM
lkfmdc

Edited: 08-Jan-05
Dear friends,
San Da Training Systems and the American Sambo Association are proud to announce the Tri-State Area MMA training league. This presents a unique opportunity for anyone interested in finding new training partners, doing cross training and helping solidify our community. Thanks to the efforts of these two oranizations, we can offer a friendly, supervised and safe environment for this type of training.

THIS WOULD NOT BE A COMPETITION. This would be two Sundays a month that everyone can get together and work under different sets of rules. Possible sparring formats would include Sambo, San Da, submission grappling, and, of course, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). The sessions will be supervised by several established coaches so there will also be opportunities to ask questions and get advice. Please, no egos. This is for EVERYONE's development.

At this time, the sessions will be held at New York San Da Gym at 336 W 37th Street for this purpose. They will be held on Sundays from 12:30 to 2:30.

The next scheduled sessions will be;
Sunday January 16, 2005
Sunday January 30, 2005
Sunday February 13, 2005
Sunday February 27, 2005

The following rules and regulations will be in effect.

1. The Tri-State MMA training league is free to members of New York San Da Gym (formerly NYKK), New York Combat Sambo, San Da Training Systems and the American Sambo Association. For reasons of insurance, $2 per session or $10 for the YEAR will be charged of those who are not members of the above.

2. This is a FRIENDLY, open environment for training and personal growth. Please, no egos. We strive to have no injuries. That being said, ALL ARE WELCOME!

3. Please bring your own equipment. A groin cup and mouth piece is a must. For any striking training please bring gloves (boxing or MMA gloves). Shin guards would also be recommended. Missing gear? You can buy some at New York San Da Gym.

4. Please agree upon your rules before you start. The Tri-State MMA training league only has three requirements (A) no spiking (throwing anyone on head/shoulders) is allowed (B) no elbows are allowed (c) "gentlemen's rules" apply (nothing dirty) and (d) all sparring must have a referee (typically the moderators).

5. Please, TAP OUT. There is no honor in injury. This is a friendly practice.

6. Any other questions? Direct them to one of the moderators.

David Ross
Director, San Da Training Systems
lkfmdc@att.net

Stephen Koepfer
President, American Sambo Association
americansamboassociation@att.net

2/9/05 10:37 PM
SamboSteve
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Feb-05
American Sambo Association
ttt
2/13/05 6:40 PM
SamboSteve
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Feb-05
American Sambo Association

Hey, I just got back from our third MMA Training league and we had a great time. 17 folks in attendance this week - thanks for all the guys who came down! We had some great sparring this week (MMA, kickboxing, and submission grappling).  No egos at all and all good fun.  Everyone was very cool and clearly looking to just learn and have a good time. Looks like we may set a "first come first serve" cap of about 20 attendees from now on. If you wish to be on our mailing list, drop me an e-mail at americansamboassociation@att.net

We will soon have a MMA Training League website with schedules, pics, etc.

Thanks again to all the guys who came today - I had a blast!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.