UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Striderknives.com

12/19/04 8:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kao
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Dec-04

I'm planning to purchase one of these bad boys soon enough. but why are they so expensive?? I mean, i really could purchase a glock instead of one of these knives. I'm not because i collect knives not guns.
12/20/04 9:48 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 20-Dec-04
I think they're expensive because they reall are tough as nails knives. Strider, busses, and swamprat knives are pretty much the only knives I know that can take unreal abuse and keep on ticking.
12/21/04 8:03 PM
krept
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Dec-04
Striders have the best warranty in the business... you break it, they'll replace it. For LIFE. At best, other companies can just equal this. Kick ass customer service too. They'll refurb it and sharpen it etc. all for the cost of mailing it. Lots of RnD went into their designs, they have a lot of swell equipment that is used to make them and they have to pay that off. They use what is to be considered the ultimate blade steel for blades of that side... S30V, which IIRC was developed by Crucible Steel for KNIVES in mind. The way the steel is made is cool too... particle deposition meaning it's basically homogenous. The raw stock for this stuff is VERY expensive and it's an absolute monster to grind and drill. In fairness, Busse has thier INFI steel and it's almost magical... :) different story for a different time. If you want, go register at usualsuspect.net and check into the Strider forum. The founder, Mick Strider, posts there a lot... he's so fkn kick ass it's not funny. After picking up one of their blades I was so inspired by it that I didn't get into knife collecting... but knife MAKING. They basically "invented" the new coyote brown G-10 that's on the market and some of their new blades have a proprietary digicam finish... very bad ass. Lots of innovation from those guys... heck, didn't they start the Americanized Tanto as well? (triangular tip) I'm not into commercial BS or crap like that but Strider is one company that is heads and shoulders above many others.
12/30/04 9:20 PM
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Dec-04
I've been looking at buying one for a while now, just can't justify the $$. A knife dealer I met told me Strider was the "flavor of the month" and the prices are inflated, should go down in price soon, at least used.... I hope so. I look at them every couple of weeks, but don't want to settle for the "less expensive" ($250), might as well get what I want.
1/3/05 12:45 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 03-Jan-05
Swamp Rat has a REALLY good reputation as well. I haven't really looked at the CRK fixed blades, but of course his folding knives (the Sebenza in particular) are legendary.
1/3/05 7:33 PM
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jan-05
Big Strider fan here, hands down favorite.
1/4/05 9:25 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 04-Jan-05
ZH: not only the handles, but they have problems with the thumb-studs, but they're most likely disgruntled spydie fans. ;) Regardless, CRK has an incredible reputation for hard-use folders.
1/4/05 12:39 PM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you cant go wrong with Mick's stuff, period. Its like zippo lighters and surefire lights. If dont loose it, they always have your back for any problems. LOL, at a Glock instead of a Strider. Whewww, you guys kill me.
1/4/05 11:41 PM
Aaron

my zippos always run out of fluid too quickly. Then again, so does my GLOCK....
1/8/05 8:01 PM
stevekt
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jan-05
You can get a Becker or Kabar for about 1/6 the price.
1/23/05 12:32 AM
kungfoolu

Edited: 23-Jan-05
Yeah but then you'd be carrying a Becker or Kabar, Yuuuccckkk.... thats the same as a banging a fat chick, sure it's all the same in the dark, but "you'd" still know it's a fat chick and all your friends would still make fun of you ;) KFU
1/24/05 1:29 AM
1911fanatic

Edited: 24-Jan-05
Stryders are like Sigs. You get what you pay for.
1/24/05 1:18 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 24-Jan-05
lol@kungfoolu. I'm a bit of a knife-snob. A BKT or Kabar can definitely do the job, for sure...but it's not the same as a strider or busse. Speaking of busses, I'm eyeing their new Fusion Battle Mistress. It's reportedly a longer but lighter BM. And the handles have been redone too. Looks great, and promises to be a winner. It's not out yet, but it's worth looking at.
1/27/05 4:32 PM
stevekt
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Jan-05
Becker and Kabar make very good knives at reasonable prices. They are not like banging a fat chick. If I had mentioned a Home Shopping Network survival knife then the fat girl analogy would be dead on. Stider, Busse = Supermodel, Playboy Playmate Becker, Kabar = Cute girl next door Home Shopping Netowrk Survival Knife = Fat Drunk Girl

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.