UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> An academic question for the board

12/20/04 3:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EbolaMonkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Dec-04

What does writing a script have to do with filmmaking? I'm not going to pretend to be anything other than a newby.
12/20/04 11:18 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Well if you are making a film, you need a script of some sort. You don't have to be a writer to make a film though. Writing does give you understanding of pacing etc. If you read how films are written, you get a better understanding of how the hollywood timing template works.
12/20/04 12:59 PM
asymmetrik

well, you don't have to write it yourself, but unless you've got an unlimited amount of time and an unlimited budget and extremely good actors who can improv perfectly, trying to do a narrative film without a script is like building a house without a blueprint. it can be and has been done however...
12/22/04 7:46 AM
EbolaMonkey

Edited: 22-Dec-04
When are scripts changes do to filmmaking constraints? Can any type of filming interfere with a scripts progression that it needs to be changed, apart from limitations from special effects and budget? Why do we constantly hear of films being made that have no complete script? Or does that not happen much/much anymore?
12/26/04 2:40 AM
djdb

Edited: 26-Dec-04
Are we doing your homework for you? Scripts get changed midproduction for any number of reasons: Someone thought of a different/better chioce; something was wrong with the location/set that required correction; someone in control was visiting the set & demanded some element be removed; the talent got ill/died/didn't show/sucked, etc. Script are often incomplete for the same variety: the project was greenlighted based on someone's involvement & not the script itself; the work simply isn't done yet; the production constraints call for changes, etc. -r
12/26/04 12:27 PM
Dragon

Edited: 26-Dec-04
yeah, what are these questions for? and djdb and lynn are both correct (no surprise there).
12/27/04 9:06 AM
EbolaMonkey

Edited: 27-Dec-04
No homework here. It's just of my own interest. Perhaps I need to refine my questions. I have no filmmaking experience, school, etc. though I feel that I have actually been answering some of my own questions just through reading and watching supplements to DVD's. I've been trying to understand how scripts are scripted, in respective of what makes it to film. Why and how scriptwriting is unique and when a script writer is good or successful? I know it is rather pregnant topic. And I wasn't really looking for specific responces. I'm just wondering what observations and experience people might have that actually do the work behind the scenes.
12/27/04 11:51 AM
djdb

Edited: 27-Dec-04
I guess my simplest answer is that everything happens in the film industry for the same reasons as any other industry: supply vs. demand & ego vs. inertia. Beyond that, I don't really get what you're driving at. -r
1/3/05 3:12 AM
EbolaMonkey

Edited: 03-Jan-05
"I don't really get what you are driving at." Nor do I at the moment. I'll come back to it much later and much more clear.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.