Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jason hornbuckle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Dec-04

anything you know
12/22/04 11:29 AM
reverend john
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Catholic priest mystic really delved into the disciplines of silence and solitude. Kept journals, and was quite the writer Started experimenting with eastern meditation, and the merging of Budhism and Christianity Died in an accident the rev
12/22/04 1:13 PM
pneuma
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Dec-04 01:24 PM
I just finished his biography "The Seven Storey Mountain". It's an excellent read. He had a fascinating life. I have heard his book "Seeds of Contemplation" is an excellent read and would like to get it one day. "Started experimenting with eastern meditation, and the merging of Budhism and Christianity" I am not a Merton expert, but I am pretty sure he did nothing of the sort. He studied buddhist traditions and was friendly with many buddhists of every denomination. He was very much into contemplative prayer (as opposed to petitioning prayer) and so very interested in buddhist meditation techniques. But christian meditation, if similar in technique, has a different goal than buddhist meditation. He also helped begin a dialog between buddhists and christians, what they had in common and what was different and that dialog continues to this day in his name (http://www.mertonfoundation.org/two%20sided%20flyer.pdf). He, as far as I know or have read, was not interested in combining them at all.
12/22/04 5:20 PM
reverend john
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I believe you are incorrect, but it is possible that I am the incorrect one. the rev
12/22/04 11:29 PM
The Detriment
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really enjoyed "The Seven Storey Mountain," and would strongly recommend it. Merton was a strong inspiration for me to become confirmed and a practicing Catholic, along with Dorothy Day.
12/23/04 11:50 AM
pneuma
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Dec-04
"Well, I believe you are incorrect, but it is possible that I am the incorrect one." LOL! Allright then. ;-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.