UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> New Dog Bros clip

12/22/04 11:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Crafty Dog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Dec-04

Woof All: We have a new clip on our website featuring, ahem, me. www.dogbrothers.com yip! Crafty Dog
12/22/04 2:30 PM
4 Ranges

Good to see you posting here again, Guro Marc.
12/22/04 6:17 PM
jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy shit, Marc
12/23/04 11:18 AM
membrane

Edited: 23-Dec-04
Very cool clip. Are you planning to do ones on other big name dog brothers like Top Dog, Salty Dog, Sled Dog, etc.?
12/24/04 1:10 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 24-Dec-04
Woof Membrane: Time and budget permitting, why yes we are. Some words about that word "Time": EDITING is FAR, FAR, FAR more time and concentration intensive than anyone who has not been throught the process can appreciate. Whomever the fighter is, first his fights must be found from amongst our thousands (literally!) of fights, then reviewed, then the footage selected. This brings us to the matter of "budget": I may have bought a cool Apple editing computer (and this was a major expense), but I can't operate it worth diddly, therefor I must hire an editor. (Our editor is Ron Gabriel btw and he is doing some excellent work for us). In short to put together a clip like that is a far larger undertaking than most people appreciate, , , or maybe not, since it always seems to fall to me ;-) That said, our entire first series features Top Dog and Salty Dog has his "Krabi Krabong" in our second series. As for Sled Dog-- what a wonderful idea! In addition to the very high regard I have for Sled as a fighter, he manifests Dog Brotherhood at the highest and deepest levels. Anyway, right now our time and budget are mostly focused on converting the first and second series to DVD, and then doing the post-production on the third series. Woof, Crafty Dog
12/24/04 10:42 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The CSPT
Great stuff!
12/24/04 8:35 PM
membrane

Amateur filming is a hobby of mine and I really do know how much effort and time the editing process takes. A third series? Now you're talking! What are you going to cover on that one? One aspect of stickwork that I believe isn't very well covered is clinching with a stick. There has to be a lot more to it than overhooking the stick arm and a barrage of thrusting and punyos. A lot of the traditional corto (or corto corto) material that I have seen and been taught doesn't exactly work the way it is supposed to in real sparring.
12/25/04 12:27 PM
JockDoc

Edited: 25-Dec-04
Third series?!? More details please.
12/25/04 2:01 PM
Calbert

Nice clip!
12/25/04 6:37 PM
Crafty Dog

Woof All: Please forgive me for cutting and pasting some things I've posted elsewhere, but by doing so I can get the info requested up quickly and easily. Crafty ============================================= Here's how it sits with videos and DVDs: WE ARE CONVERSTING THE FIRST AND SECOND SERIES INTO DVD. EVERY CONVERSION WILL CONTAIN SUBSTANTIAL NEW FOOTAGE. From the second series, we have already finished conversion of: 1) Krabi Krabong for DBMA (KK is the weaponry military forerunner to Muay Thai) 2) Attacking Blocks 3) Combining Stick & Footwork 4) Almost done is "The Grandfathers Speak" which will contain a long interview with GM Giron concerning his close quarter combat against the Japanese in WW2. These are all from the second series. They will be released in the next few weeks-- just in time to catch the post-holiday doldrums. There are 8 more to convert before the first two series are done. WHEN WE FINISH THESE, THERE ARE 4 NEW ONES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN SHOT: 1) Staff: For staff fights and for street 2) Power Combos on the Diamond Triangle 3) Big Stick: Single Stick Los Triques 4) "Kali Tudo" (c): Emptyhand Kali-Silat for Cagefighting: The ZIRCONIA Standing striking crash combos on the outside diamond IN THE FIRST WEEK OF FEBRUARY WE HAVE A WEEK SET ASIDE FOR SHOOTING LOTS OF PREVIOUSLY UNSHARED MATERIAL. INCLUDED WILL BE: 1) Stickgrapling Standing Clinch-- integrating my work with Rico Chiapparelli and others from the RAW Gym 2) Stickgrappling Ground 3) Los Triques Siniwali 4) More "Kali Tudo"(c) against the Guard 5) "Kali Tudo"(c) from the guard 5) Several others. ========= THUS THE STICKFIGHTING IS SEEN AS A VEHICLE WHERE MORAL PEOPLE CAN TEST THEMSELVES IN THE ADRENAL STATE. We assume that the "sweaty, smelly psychopaths with sticks" who do this are but a small percentage of the population. THE GREAT MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO TRAIN IN DBMA ARE "PRACTITIONERS". We believe that the Practitioners benefit from seeing what they train applied by the sweaty smelly psychopaths with sticks and the system benefits from a regular high adrenal testing vehicle. Knife skills, the skills of the various weapons, and empty hand skills including grappling are all part of the fighting. ITS NOT A STICKFIGHT, ITS A FIGHT THAT BEGINS WITH STICKS. What makes fights of this level of violence possible is the Dog Brothers code: "Be friends at the end of the day." The goal is that no one spends the night in the hospital and the goal is that everyone leaves with the IQ with which he came. We fight as members of the same tribe preparing each other to stand together in battle to defend our land, women and children. No suing no one for no reason for nothing no how no way-- only you are responsible for you, so protect yourself at all times. In order to facilitate this, we do not keep score. There are "No judges, no referees, and no trophies." Allow me to underline that DBMA seeks to be a well-rounded system of staff, stick, knife and empty hand serving the mission of "Walk as a Warrior for all your days". EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE CATEGORIES IS IMPORTANT IN THE SYSTEM. Our "Dog Brothers Gatherings of the Pack" begin with knife fighting and we often have 2x2 or even 3x2 knfie fights before moving on to stick and the other impact weapons, , , Remember, our purpose is to prepare ourselves to walk as a warrior, NOT to agree upon a bunch of rules and compete for prizes and the praise of others. Remember, its a fight that begins with sticks. In the summer of 1990 I began BJJ with the Machadod Brothers (I'm a Brown under Rigan) and began throwing it in the mix with good results even as I began changing it and blending it with the Kali (principally Inosanto Blend, Pekiti Tirsia and Lameco and other systems too to a lesser extent) to be responsive to the exigencies and opportunities of weapons. In short, NHB type grappling and striking skills are a part of the fight. Concerning stand up striking, Kali Panantukan (Filipino boxing that includes holding while hitting and boxing punches as part of the mix with slaps, hacks, elbows and much more) Muay Thai, and elements of Savate are the principle influences. It may be of interest to note that Muay Thai descends from the Thai military weaponry system of Krabi Krabong. Thanks to the influence of Salty Dog, primal, power-crazed, distance covering KK is part of the mix too, as are Bando and Silat. In short, grappling-striking empty hand skills are a part of a Dog Brothers fight so please do not think of the system as stick only. The stick motions apply to knife, and apply to empty hand. Concerning this last point, the area of the system dedicated to testing and proving this point we call "Kali Tudo" (c). Although I am 52, I have been sparring it at Rico Chiapparelli's Raw Gym (and receiving useful coaching from Rico too as well as friendly pointers from some of the fighters of note at RAW) This is a subject in its own right for another day, but in conclusion let me say I believe it has a lot of merit. How the lessons, techniques and skills tested and learned at a DB Gathering manifest as we walk as warriors is a central area of DBMA. In other words, there are answers to the question "What do you do if you don't have a stick?" ;-) ========== Anyway, thanks for the interest Membrane and JockDoc Crafty Dog
12/25/04 9:15 PM
Calbert

That sounds like the bomb! I can't wait for the new videos! C.J.
12/27/04 9:48 AM
Willybone
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Dec-04
Yo Crafty,
How do you start new guys in sparring? Padded sticks? Or do they start with live sticks?
I'm a modern arnis student, but the approach and techniques I see in your videos definitely appeals to the realist in me.
12/27/04 6:41 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 27-Dec-04
Woof Willybone: The most common problems that arise in sparring are: Unrealistic behavior due to: a) going too soft b) going too hard c) exploiting protective gear and/or lack of serious sticks d) ego nonsense-- most common amongst those who have yet to really fight In DBMA the learning and training method strongly emphasizes the development of flow through rhythm. Thus when it comes time to spar, each man should already have an intuitive sense of matching speed and intensity. What I recommend is "No Wind Sparring" i.e. the stick(s) should not travel so fast as to make a whizzing sound. This allows for good continuity of engagement which bruises being de minimis. HTH, Crafty Dog
12/28/04 8:33 AM
paw
1539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Dec-04
:)
12/30/04 6:07 PM
Stickgrappler
1856 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Dec-04
http://dogbrothers.com/videoclips/2004craftydemo.wmv i've been away for so long from this forum and the DB forums, very busy with work :-(
1/1/05 1:16 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 01-Jan-05
Woof SG: Good to have you back- we missed you. Crafty
1/3/05 9:12 AM
theMachine23

Edited: 03-Jan-05
awesome! i love seeing the BJJ influence, too.
1/3/05 12:40 PM
Crafty Dog

Woof Machine23 et al: On the JKD forum in the "M Denny says" forum (not started by me!) the following concerning BJJ: In that it addresses in part grappling in the presence of weapons, perhaps it is more relevant here in the Weapons forum. Crafty Dog ==================== BTW, in the interest of accuracy and giving credit where due, my ground stickgrappling is principally a blend of BJJ, the stick subsystem of Bando Python (a grappling system) and Inosanto Blend. Since the footage used in this clip, some silat has also come into play. The Clinch portion of my stickgrappling is being helped by Rico Chiapparelli and some of the guys at RAW, and includes Silat and Inosanto Blend. Stickgrappling is very exciting. It is interesting to me to note the various ways in which sound empty hand BJJ type responses can become extremely unsound in the presence of a stick (or even more so with a knife). Woof, Crafty Dog ------------------------------------------------------- ADMIN: [ Delete Message : Warn User : Warn Super Admin ] From: Marc_Scott Date: 12/31/04 03:18 AM Member Since: 01/01/2001 1867 Total Posts Ignore User I think the bridge between empty hand clinch/grappling and stickwork is where a lot of people seems get stuck. I try to train them at the same time and I have found it helps both aspects of my game. Marc http://www.martialability.com ------------------------------------------------------ From: lautaro It's been a very long time since I watched the video, but I thought I remembered one of the Machado brothers mounting (and submitting) Top Dog on the Grappling video of the first series during their stickfight. It was quite eye-opening to see how well a stickfighting novice with a black belt in bjj could handle a skilled and experienced stickfigher. As was pointed out throughtout the video, grappling happens... Lautaro ------------------------------------------------------- Woof Lautaro: To refresh your memory, that our BJJ teacher Rigan Machado. Carlos Machado taught the BJJ portion of Tape 5 "The Fang Choke" in our first series. We consider all 5 of the Machados to be our good friends and our teachers. Concerning the session with Rigan and Eric (Top Dog): In no way would I cite it for the proposition that you do. Rigan had, and has, no interest in a real stick fight and will be the first to tell you so. The stick portion of the session was quite friendly, and our purpose in putting the footage in the video was to point out that we were not presenting ourselves as BJJ or grappling instructors by illustrating the difference between our grappling skills and those of someone truly good at it. Turning to the larger point, yes grappling happens, AND grappling can get its head cracked coming in. Someone with empty-hand closing skills is probably going to do certain things with high risk potential for IQ reduction. I remember one friendly but exuberant session I had with someone who had fought in PRIDE wherein I persuaded him of this point. Remember that the fencing mask can and often does make a difference, but the true trick is to close without making use of it. This is a skill in its own right. (Advertisement: See our video "DBMA Attacking Blocks" which will also be a DVD in a couple of weeks) Because we do not keep score in our fights, often the grappling ranges are created due to fencing masks. The fight continues, and it is up to each fighter and those watching to make of the headgear's role in it all what they will. And often, even in spite of the fencing masks, the close is prevented, sometimes with consequences. Concussions are not unknown in our fights. Woof, Crafty Dog PS: Historical trivia: I am proud to be the one who introduced Guro Inosanto to Rigan and the rest of the Machados. I drove him to his first lessons. My neck and arms are amongst those upon which Guro I. first drilled.
1/3/05 1:07 PM
Stickgrappler
1856 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Woof SG: Good to have you back- we missed you. Crafty woof Guro Crafty, i have much catching up to do over here and over there :-)
1/11/05 3:22 PM
theMachine23

Edited: 11-Jan-05
Guro Crafty, this video is awesome...I've watched it several times now...TTT
1/11/05 5:10 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 11-Jan-05
Great post Guro Crafty. Not to sound condescending, but you move so much more smoothly and efficiently in this clip than in the first DBMA series. The difference is really amazing. Much props to you.
1/12/05 6:18 AM
Tgr74

Edited: 12-Jan-05
Those clips are wow....I cringed every time someone got wacked. First time seeing that stuff. You guys got some major cajones.
1/12/05 5:14 PM
Davidkamau

Edited: 12-Jan-05
So, When are the dog brothers going to set somthing up in Colorado? it looks like somthing I could have a lot of fun doing.
1/13/05 2:46 PM
dhunter

Edited: 13-Jan-05
Guro: I am a beginner in all of this, with about 3 yrs in a cross-training system based primarily on BJJ (we are associated with Rickson and Rodrigo Vaghi), along with combat judo and standup striking from a variety of influences. I have also been training in Inayan Eskrima for about 2 yrs. In the Eskrima class, we soft stick spar once a month, with the intention of graduating to hard stick sparring at a future date, probably at an association gathering. My question is this: whenever I grapple or spar (in the kickboxing sense), I come out of it spent and exhausted, but never in a highly charged adrenaline state. Whenever I stick spar, even for one two - minute round, I come out of it so pumped I can't sleep. What is it about facing a guy with a stick that does this? Or is it just comfort level and familiarity? (I roll/spar in the cross training class all the time, stick sparring is once a month). What can I expect the first time I spar with hard sticks? BTW, when I watch your demos, and I see the combination of FMA, BJJ and striking/kicking skills, I get pretty excited about the training regimen that I'm doing, which I came into largely by accident. No big goals, just trying to get a little bit better every time I train.
1/13/05 3:42 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 13-Jan-05
Gotta hear Guro Crafty's input on this. Dhunter, I like your attitude and open-mindedness. Keep working hard.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.