UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> New Dog Bros clip

1/13/05 6:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dhunter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Jan-05
4 Ranges: Thanks for the compliment. I guess I'm a little too, er, mature to worry much about rank. Frankly, working hard is all I got - it sure isn't innate talent. It's all in the journey, frustrating as it can be sometimes.
1/14/05 5:26 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 14-Jan-05
Dhunter: Hugely busy today. It may take a day or two before I can answer. yip! Crafty Dog
1/20/05 1:19 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 20-Jan-05
Sorry for the delay Dhunter-- however in my defense allow me to yip that today we edited a new clip for the website titled "Dogzilla's First Day". We'll be mailing it to our webmaster tomorrow and we hope to have it up sometime next week.
1/20/05 5:06 PM
Stickgrappler
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jan-05
excellent! looking forward to it!!
1/21/05 8:44 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 21-Jan-05
Woof Dhunter: First, a bit of "Dog Brothers Philosophy 101": BEGIN: "If you ain't the lead sled dog, the view is all the same. No one beats every one. Every one looks as someone's a*s sometimes. So be not humble and be not proud. Respect others as you respect yourself." END Turning to the matter at hand: "Whenever I stick spar, even for one two - minute round, I come out of it so pumped I can't sleep. What is it about facing a guy with a stick that does this?" I know what you mean :-))))))))) In a certain sense the answer to this is like the opening verse to the Tao Te Ching "The Tao which can be spoken of is not the Tao" -- so what follows is "just a manner of talking" (Juan Matus;-) ) In the first tape in our Real Contact Stickfighting series, in one of the interviews Carl Franks said (working from memory here) "There is no meditation no nothing that will put you here and present in The Now like hearing a stick buzz by your head." Wild Dog once said in commenting on this, "And it is in that moment you decide just which self it is you wish to defend." Both of these thoughts have great resonance for me. As I understand it, the goal of meditation is to, as Don Juan would say "Stop the World" i.e. turn off the incessant chatter and commentary of the mind and this is also a core element of many religions. To experience this state is a powerful thing-- how many layers of conning of the self are stripped away in the moment that we experience which self it is we wish to defend? The energy released by this experience can be extraordinary and the desire to experience it again can change how one goes about life. "The greater the dichotomy the profounder the transformation. Higher Consciousness through Harder Contact."(C)DBIMA Does this resonate, or did I participate too fully in the 1960s? Woof, Crafty Dog
1/21/05 4:04 PM
dhunter

Edited: 21-Jan-05
Guro: Oh yes, this resonates, even to somebody who has yet to experience hard stick sparring. Lately, I've noticed how time seems to stop when I'm sparring, especially if that person is more experienced than I. "Stop the world" is an interesting way to look at it. Breath control and trying to not signal my attacks is what I've been aiming for, perhaps that has led to some kind of heightened state as well. The idea of stripping away the layers to decide which self to defend leads me to another question: Do you find yourself dissecting your opponent in the same way? Is this how you figure out what his real intentions are, where the real attack will be coming from? For instance, I like to knock my opponent out of his rhythm, especially if he's using alot of clearing, redondo or other flourishes. The reaction to that is interesting, and telling, I think. So, I can expect to become some kind of junkie as I progress in my stick sparring? Thanks for your time and input!
1/22/05 2:38 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 22-Jan-05
Woof Membrane: You asked about clips of other Dog Brothers. A clip of Dogzilla titled "Dogzilla's First Day" is on its way to our webmaster and as soon as he puts it up we will let you know. :-) Woof, Crafty Dog
1/25/05 7:10 PM
Davidkamau

Edited: 25-Jan-05
But really... Colorado?? or Wyoming... Nebraska maybe? I am really interested,
1/26/05 11:14 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 26-Jan-05
Woof All: "Dogzilla's First Day" clip is up at www.dogbrothers.com Woof, Crafty Dog
1/31/05 1:34 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 31-Jan-05
Woof Dhunter: You wrote: "The idea of stripping away the layers to decide which self to defend leads me to another question: Do you find yourself dissecting your opponent in the same way? Is this how you figure out what his real intentions are, where the real attack will be coming from? For instance, I like to knock my opponent out of his rhythm, especially if he's using alot of clearing, redondo or other flourishes. The reaction to that is interesting, and telling, I think." I'm not 100% clear on your meaning here. I'm confused as to whether you are refering to psychological structures or fighting structures. While often closely related, the two are not identical. Anyway, yes I do observe my opponent's pyschological structures as well as his fighting structures. If you are already playing with rhythm disruptions, you are doing well. Woof Four Ranges: Tail wags for the kind words. The first series was released in 1993 while I was recovering from a pretty dramatic knee injury. In 1992 the ACL, PCL, and Lateral Collateral ligaments in my left knee were snapped in half (BJJ accident caused by a hyper blue belt during throw practice) and replaced by tendons from cadavers. It took the doctors three surgeries to get it right, with the net result that for 11 months I was pretty much on one leg. My left thigh was the size of my right arm (an exageration, but not much of one) and my body mechanics seriously unbalanced. I was in my early 40s and this was a lot of injury to come back from. The saga of my recovery is probably of little interest here, but one of the results was that the substantial decline in my attributes forced me to get a lot more thoughtful about the science of footwork. Some of my thoughts: I was not quick to begin with, and slower yet due to the injury and its aftermath (e.g. due to imbalances in my body, the right pelvis dislocated at the sacrum regularly for 6 years requiring 6-8 visits to the chiropractor every month.) I decided to draw upon the skills acquired through years of what is often derided around here as "dead patterns" and focus on fighting siniwali and through the efficiency of coordination compensate for my slower velocity (doubling volume of hits in a given amount of time having a neurological effect on opponent similar to that of a faster opponent). There is much I could say here, but it is time soon for bed and so I will limit myself to saying that by calling upon these coordinations and the understandings of triangular footwork also originally gleaned from "dead patterns", that I was able to not only to return to fighting all comers (indeed during the years that Top Dog was on sabbatical and Salty Dog pulled away by family matters I was the remaining "name fighter" for the Dog Brothers) , but to grow in my abilities to fight. Some fighters prefer to do something dominatingly well-- they seek to be a hammer that turns everything into a nail. This can be very good, and I cast no aspersions on this approach. I simply note that what worked best for me was to be a "jack of all trades" (i.e. to have MANY games and structures to play) and through assessment of my opponent's pyschological and fight structures, to find a link of my chain that was stronger that a link of his chain. I am proud that my last fight at the age of 48 was a good one. And IMHO what made this possible was not me, but the training of my teachers (principally Guro Inosanto) interacting with my fighting in conjunction with my teaching. I never found my training with Guro Inosanto to inhibit my will fight to fight. Quite the contrary, it gave me the material to work with, explore and make my own-- and made my growth possible. Woof, Crafty Dog
1/31/05 12:59 PM
dhunter

Edited: 31-Jan-05
Guro: you wrote: "I'm not 100% clear on your meaning here. I'm confused as to whether you are refering to psychological structures or fighting structures. While often closely related, the two are not identical. " I guess I'm referring to psychological structures, because figuring out his intent and strategy are what I'm after. By "fighting structures", I assume you mean his physical capabilities. that's tough to figure out, if he has a good arsenal. I often draw parallels between sparring an playing one-on-one basketball, at least as a defender (focus on the opponent's torso, but be aware of where the ball is at all times. head, hand and foot movements give off lots of noise, but you CAN filter it for valuable signals). if you knock a guy out of his game, take away his favorite couple of moves, you'll see him start to think, and that's when he's vulnerable.
2/2/05 7:26 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 02-Feb-05
Woof DHunter: "By "fighting structures", I assume you mean his physical capabilities. that's tough to figure out, if he has a good arsenal." What I mean is things like where he begins and finishes his preferred swings. For example, in the adrenal state, many people's preferred power swing is the Caveman and a high % of them finish with their elbow in centerline. Others tend to have the swing of a baseball bat as their preferred power swing. Some prefer to smash/meet the force, others to counterattack. The idea is to have a ready checklist of things to do and avoid for each of these. Otherwise the first time you run into a tip down forehand chamber may be in a fight, and you are going to have to wing it entirely. In Dog Brothers Martial Arts, this material is considered to be "Snake Range" (nothing to do with a snake disarm-- after all this is FMA and consistent use of terminology is prohibited) In DBMA Snake Range is the first of 7 Ranges: Snake, Weapon, Largo, Medio, Corto, Clinch, and Ground. Snake Range is the distance before contact is made. Amongst other things, this is where we can probe and assess the opponent. Does this help? Woof, Crafty Dog
2/3/05 6:45 AM
membrane

Edited: 03-Feb-05
Regarding "Dogzilla's First Day": sounds great!
2/7/05 1:56 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 07-Feb-05
Guro Crafty: so when you did the first series you were working with the injuries you specified???? That's really admirable. Next time I want to pass up training because I have the sniffles, I'll remember your injuries and surgery. Also, as for "dead patterns", I don't think everyone has taken to calling them that. I still call sumbrada "sumbrada" and hubud "hubud." Certain individuals have taken to calling them that; I prefer to be open, and just call them what they are. Speaking of sumbrada/hubud, how much is this a part of your training today? After years of training it, have you seen diminishing returns, or do you still see a positive and direct effect in your skills?
2/17/05 2:54 PM
JonKellett

Edited: 17-Feb-05
Wow, so cool to see Crafty Dog posting here. I'm new to all of this but boy am I into it. I just ordered the first tape series on VHS, can't wait till the new stuff comes out on DVD!
2/23/05 12:26 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 23-Feb-05
Woof All: We have a new clip "Lonely Dog in Action" up at www.dogbrothers.com
2/24/05 4:44 PM
Stickgrappler
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Feb-05
Lonely Dog in Action Dogzilla's First Day Guro Crafty Dog's Promo Clip Dog Brothers Promo Clip
2/24/05 4:45 PM
Stickgrappler

re: Guro Lonely Dog In Action - THE CAMELTOE!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
2/24/05 4:52 PM
4 Ranges

crazy clips man, crazy clips
2/28/05 5:42 PM
Greybro

Edited: 28-Feb-05
Yeahhhhh! Wish there was something like that around NC. That looks like some serious fun!
3/1/05 7:48 AM
Dark Knight
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Mar-05
And to think they are all friends.
3/2/05 4:15 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 02-Mar-05
Woof: We taught the Cameltoe at our Camp a couple of days before this fight and Lonely just went out there and did it. He's like that. Also, there is a variation to the Cameltoe that we call "the moyle" (this is the guy in Judaism who performs circumscissions (sp?) ) Greybro, if I may be allowed a moment of shameless marketing, for people in situations such as yours we have the "Dog Brothers Martial Arts Ass'n". If you are interested, zip me a line at Craftydog@dogbrothers.com Woof, Crafty Dog
3/4/05 1:29 PM
dhunter

Edited: 04-Mar-05
Guro: Just wanted to let you know that I hard stick sparred for the first time last Sunday. Our Eskrima association had a seminar, and many of us sparred (hard and soft stick) at the end of it. I went against an instructor, a very big, tall dude with really quick hands. I held my own. We used 3/4" rattan. I don't know if it was the light weight of the sticks, the gloves I was wearing (I normally don't wear them when soft stick sparring), or just the general rush of the whole thing, but I had trouble guaging how hard i was making contact. Sometimes, I was wondering if I hit him at all. Blocking also seemed vague. I definitely knew it when I got hit. Afterward, I was assured that I did in fact hit him and blocked effectively. Is a lack of tactile feedback normal? I tell you, the adrenaline was pumping like never before. Luckily, I had a four hour drive home in which to settle down. I'm sure I was the most alert driver on the road that night!
3/6/05 6:31 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 06-Mar-05
Woof DH: Yes, the after-fight state (which it sounds like your hard spar triggered for you) is an interesting one, isn't it? As for any concerns you may have about "how you did", allow me to analogize by reminding you of the first time you had sex. It was very important-- and you've gotten better since then. :-) "Higher Consciousness through Harder Contact"(c) Woof! Crafty Dog
3/14/05 2:24 PM
dhunter

Edited: 14-Mar-05
Guro: I like your analogy, but it occurred to me that I might not want to characterize my first sexual experience as "I held my own". ;} I'm starting to understand your "Higher Consciousness through Harder Contact"(c) reasoning. Do you see a fit between this and the idea that learning the martial arts is a process of self-mastery?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.