UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Chinese MA street fighting

12/25/04 1:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seul
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Dec-04

How many people on the forum have trained CMA and effectively used their traing in a confrontation out in the real world? I have recently begun training Tai chi with a guy who learned in NYC from William Ch'en, and he has told me he found his traing in tai chi and in fu jow pai to be very effective in actual fights. Have any of you any wisdom or experiance to share? Happy Holidays, -Seul
1/4/05 5:24 PM
H2ODragon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jan-05
William CC Chen's Tai Chi was my first MA. It helped me survive 3 rounds against a Golden Gloves boxer. I didn't win, but he couldn't knock me out.
1/4/05 8:47 PM
Seul
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jan-05
interesting...... If I may ask,what sort of drills did he have you doing outside of the form and breathing exercises? any calisthenics or physical exercises? Also, do you still practice the tai chi you learned today?
1/5/05 7:11 AM
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Jan-05
I do a style of kungfu which have a more sanda style training instead of the traditional style that most kungfu schools usually have.I lost 3 x 2 min rounds shootboxing match by decision against a pro mma guy. IMHO I lost due to lack of pro style training and lack of preparation. He dominated me, but as in H20Dragon's case he couldn't KO me.
1/20/05 1:07 AM
Ricky T
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jan-05
I learned Northern Shaolin and Choy Lee Fut. We did full contact kickboxing. The instructor was a famous fighter from Hong Kong, won Southeast Asian fighting tournament and went to Thailand to fight. I used what I learned many times , mainly during high school but also some street fights. The forms were useless but the kickboxing experience served me well.
1/20/05 3:35 PM
DaRealPorkChop

Edited: 20-Jan-05
Ricky T Wouldn't happen to be a Lai Hung student woulja? ;)
1/26/05 3:25 PM
Ricky T
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jan-05
Pork Chop- yep, Lai Hung
1/26/05 5:28 PM
DaRealPorkChop

Edited: 26-Jan-05
Ricky T I just knew a comment like "The forms were useless but the kickboxing experience served me well." just HAD to come from a Buk Sing man. Your sifu and his friends (Kong On, Dave Lacey) are some of my heroes....of course they're also all nuts! LOL
1/27/05 4:14 PM
Ricky T

Edited: 27-Jan-05
Pork Chop- Dave and Vince Lacey are crazy mofos. pauper- Forms preserve the art. They're great for solo cardio workouts and loosen up the body. But to learn fighting, you gotta fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.