UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Female instructors in Japan 2

12/29/04 3:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Paul Carroll
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Dec-04

I can't post on the original thread, but anyway ... There are no BJJ schools run by female instructors although Taira's Strapple group has some female only classes run by one of their purple belts. For submission/MMA there is GirlFight which is run out of the various AACC schools and headed by Megumi Fuji. There is also a woman's only MMA dojo called S.O.D, which I could probably find out details if really needed ...
1/3/05 11:51 PM
Opash
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jan-05
Yeah - couldn't post on last thread either. But I know a lot of the major BJJ/MMA gyms offer women only classes - have a fair amount of female practitioners. In recent fashion magazines, a lot of the models/stars have said they train jits for fitness. At all the major BJJ tourneys there a plenty of women practitioner - often the general standard is higher than the guys division (IMO). Kyra Gracie was on TV last night, submitting the hosts and being made a fuss of. Of course there is always a steady stream of female Judo stars and Japans recent successes in (female) Olypmic wrestling mean that they too are now getting some well deserved promotion.
1/4/05 4:33 AM
powerhockey17

Edited: 04-Jan-05
I would love to teach BJJ/NHB in Japan to women..I hope one day my gream will be come reality as I have done so much teaching here and would like a change...I rarely get to teach women..
1/4/05 4:44 AM
powerhockey17

PAUL CARROLL try if you can to get some info on S.O.D. gym.. thanks powerhockey17@hotmail.com
1/4/05 7:23 PM
Opash

What makes you qualified to teach BJJ/MMA specifically in Japan? Are you a particulaly gifted female BJJ/MMA'er? (there are already a LOT in Japan) An even more giften and well known male BJJ/MMA'er? (again there are a fair share in Japan, but obviously there's always room for more top level Black Belts or whatever) Can you speak Japanese? (obviously important if you wanna teach in Japan successfully) Not trying to put you of your goals (Good Luck), just its a pretty unusual idea and you have chosen probably the only one country that already has an abundance of MMA related female practitioners/schools (in comparision to other countries that is).
1/5/05 3:43 AM
powerhockey17

Edited: 05-Jan-05
By your response, I am assuming you are MALE, and I know you probably don't know much about me, as I have not put much info in my profile. I have been teaching BJJ/MMA now for 7 years to 99.9% men. I just would like to teach women for a change. I do have a BJJ/MMA background and have taught Japanese male fighters before but here in the US. I have fought MMA/BJJ.....been there done that, but, my focus now is teaching and developing fighters. I am a BJJ Brown Belt who currently has their own school. And I am currently enrolled in Japanese classes. From my individual post I got very few responses in regards to FEMALE instructors. I realize that there are many Japanese fighters. But I know of few names mentioned as instructors in Japan. If you have any ideas or want to know more about me, If you can do a search under the name: Zee Vjesalicu Thanks.. powerhockey17@hotmail.com
1/5/05 7:43 PM
Opash

Cool. I don't know much about actual female BJJ instructors, although I'm sure there are some - there are plently of high level women Judo and Wrestling coaches here. But I do know that most big dojo's have plently of women training there, some with women only classes - AACC with Megumi Fumi and co springs to mind. (I will look more into it and see what information comes up) But I know that there a LOT of high level women fighters over here (a mixture of disciplines). If you haven't already (if you are decent level I guess you have probably already fought here) you should come over and enter a few BJJ toureys here - check out some of the competition, see how you stack-up and maybe make some contacts. Plus you will get to practice your real Japanese - rather than that weird non-sense they usual teach you in classes. Wish you all the best and hope things work out well for ya!
1/5/05 8:56 PM
powerhockey17

Thank you for your input. I will certainly look into things on my end.. I once had the opportunity to fight there for the UFO, but decided against it as we could not come to agreement on the contract. It had nothing to do with money, just the rules. again, thanks!
1/7/05 12:59 AM
sekiya

Edited: 07-Jan-05 01:01 AM
powerhockey17: Get a visa to teach english, then start your own club. Make lots of friends and have fun. You'll do well. Relationships and understanding culture is first, the language will come after that. P.S. Strapple's women instructor, Ms. Mogi, is a serious BJJ'er and a cutie
1/8/05 4:19 AM
powerhockey17

Edited: 08-Jan-05
How do I get info on Strapple Gym..Is there a website? thanks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.