UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> toe hold counters?

12/30/04 3:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bumgrappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Dec-04

Hello Mr. Harris. I was wondering if you could enlighten me with some good toe hold counters. thanks.
1/5/05 2:09 PM
GeeRoxx

Edited: 05-Jan-05
I was caught in a bunch yesterday, I'd like to know as well. Proper posture, avoidance, awareness?
1/5/05 11:24 PM
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe it'd help if you explained where/how you're getting caught (the details of the situation). Are they in your guard, etc.
1/5/05 11:31 PM
GeeRoxx

Lol true....mostly from after they break the guard open, uncrossing the ankles i would try and go to butterfly or post a foot on the hip but they would grab a foot and do an ankle lock or some spinning shooto move to toe hold.
1/8/05 4:37 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jan-05
bumgrappler, To begin, toe holds are only possible when you expose your feet. So, if you want to get caught in them less frequently, try using butterfly guard exclusively. Also, go to your knees from the bottom of the side mount. Do not replace the guard. Finally, keep your knees away from your chest. Straighten your legs and keep them away from the opponent. Now, I know some of you reading this post might wonder why I am recommending such things. Well, bumgrappler asked a simple question and I am answering the question in a simple manner. I know some may not like my answers, but they are simple and they do work. You see, here's the thing about all martial arts styles that very few people are taught (or want to admit): "When you have a strength in one area, a weakness always exists in that same area." For example, all guard work (except butterfly guard work) makes your knees and feet accessible for leg locks. So, while it may be good to use your legs to control an opponent's body, you also make them vulnerable to his attack on your knees and feet. Let me say it another way: "In order to get, you have to give." That principle applies to everything in life, and especially in BJJ. Here are some examples of it: 1. Guard control is great...but it leaves your legs vulnerable to attack. 2. Elbow/knee escapes are great...but they leave your legs vulnerable to attack. 3. Going to the knees is great...but it leaves your neck exposed. So, the easy answer is to use butterfly guard and going to the knees more often. There is a more complex answer, but start with these suggestions first and let me know how it goes after three or four months. Roy Harris
1/22/05 12:13 AM
Cherrypicker

Edited: 22-Jan-05

Your advice worked great for me Roy.  For awhile...  My instructor is a leglock machine.  It messed him up.  I told him after our session what I was doing.  He then proceeded to whip my butt I mean ankles severely.

I should have kept my big mouth shut. :)

2/2/05 12:16 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-05
Cherrypicker, All new techniques work great for awhile. None of them work well all of the time because people will always ask questions, learn and adapt to the new material. Also, if you tell a person what you are doing and give them enough time, they will figure out a way around what you are doing. So be glad your victory was sweet ! ) Roy Harris

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.