UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Need help getting started

1/4/05 12:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PatK
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jan-05

Okay, so my g/f gets a computer with a DVD burner and all of a sudden, her kids are going batshit about how they are going to start making movies. Problem is, I don't know where to start. We have a Mini DV camera (Panasonic PV-GS9). I'm don't know how video editing software works, or what I should get to transfer the video to the computer. I'm also curious about sound, since I know already that they want to shoot scenes from multiple angles, which can be difficult with one camera. In high school, we would just repeat the scene shot from a different angle, but a good ear could tell that the sound was a little off when it switched from angle to angle. What do I need to get started? I'm assuming software and a device to get the video from my camera into the computer, but is there anything else? I don't want to spend too much, but enough to keep the kids interested, and besides, I'll be using it myself.
1/6/05 7:54 AM
djdb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Jan-05
I think I would start by thoroughly teaching your kids the difference between recording formats & a playback formats so they wouldn't go batshit crazy over something as unmystifying as a DVD burner. Did they go equally nuts about being musicians when they found out you had a CD burner? Not to be overly discouraging, or anything; it's just that you're asking a very broad, potentially expensive question. That said, to make movies on a computer, you need a camera, a capture/transfer system, an NLE (non-linear editing software), & in this case, an authorer for your DVD package. Even the simple NLEs & DVD authorers aren't particularly simple, especially if you're just goofin', so expect some headaches & lots of "I can't do this the way I want" moments. As with all filmmaking, the key is always in preproduction; if you know exactly what you want ahead of time, it will make it far simpler to put it together after you shoot it. The main thing to know about audio is to get a good set of microphones & get them as close to the talent as possible. I'll leave the rest for Lynn & the others to field. -r
1/11/05 3:36 PM
PatK
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jan-05
"I think I would start by thoroughly teaching your kids the difference between recording formats & a playback formats so they wouldn't go batshit crazy over something as unmystifying as a DVD burner. Did they go equally nuts about being musicians when they found out you had a CD burner? " I should have been more clear- they don't really want to make really good movies as much as they want to fuck around and experiment. About 2 years ago, they were all into Jackass and made their own videos. They more or less want to now edit it and put it on DVD. Really, I guess what I need help with most is knowing what kind of capture/transfer system I should use. Since I'm working with a digital camera, I want something that will take advantage of that. I know there are those Pinnacle kits they make, but it seems like the majority of them are for non-digital camcorders. As far as sound goes, I already have mics and my brother is going to give me his old DAT recorder.
1/11/05 6:57 PM
Damage!

Edited: 11-Jan-05
how old are the kids? The reason I ask is do you want to get into this on the cheap because the kids might be into something else next week or do you think you should spend some decent money on this?
1/14/05 11:52 AM
PatK

Edited: 14-Jan-05
Damage! I'd just like to know what my options are, because I'm opend minded. And actually, this is more for me than for them, they'd just like to try to do something. My main problem right now is what capture devices are available or what I should use.
1/14/05 1:14 PM
djdb

Edited: 14-Jan-05
Your camera has a firewire port, which is what you'll use to capture. You just need a firewire port/card on your computer. Most prosumer editing software comes with firewire capture capabilities. We recommend Final Cut Pro for entry level Macware & Vegas Video for PCware. I've been playing with Pinnacle Liquid for PC & it's acceptable, although I don't see it as competition for any of the above yet. Might be good for you though, as it has DVD authoring built in. -r
1/15/05 1:07 AM
The Hook

Edited: 15-Jan-05
Also, if you don't have a firewire port, you can use a product by Dazzle. They make several different versions of their capturing devices. The firewire is better though.
1/15/05 5:17 AM
djdb

The reason I said he has a firewire port is because he has a firewire port. There is no benefit to buy a Dazzle. -r
1/15/05 9:42 AM
The Hook

But doesn't his computer have to have a firewire port? When I ordered my computer, I had to add that as an extra and my firewire will NOT fit into any of my computer's other orifices. I've tried! ;)
1/15/05 8:06 PM
djdb

"You just need a firewire port/card on your computer." RIF. -r
1/15/05 8:37 PM
The Hook

Edited: 15-Jan-05 08:43 PM
"Also, if you don't have a firewire port, you can use a product by Dazzle." :-) *edited to fix tag*
1/17/05 1:49 PM
PatK

Edited: 17-Jan-05
Now you've got me confused.
1/18/05 3:38 AM
djdb

Edited: 18-Jan-05
Your options are: 1. Capture from the firewire jack on your camera into your video editing software through the firewire jack on your computer. If you don't have one on your computer (we know you have one on your camera), you can get an add-on card for cheap (~$25). OR 2. You can get a real-time capture device like the Dazzle, which is more expensive & less desirable than option 1 for a number of reasons. It can be cheaper if you plan on using whatever crappy software Dazzle comes with now. -r
1/18/05 11:39 AM
PatK

I'm leaning for option 1. Why is option two worse (not including the software)? Does it not transfer the video digitially, or is it analog?
1/18/05 2:15 PM
djdb

My experience is that the dazzle drops frames quite a bit, which may have been due to the setup I was using, but I doubt it. It also takes up shelf space. Most importantly, though, you can't recover time code from analog captures. It's a real downer when your media corrupts & you have to start the project all over again. That's moot if the specific dazzle you're looking at has firewire, which several do, though. -r

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.