UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> GPA question+ applying for uni

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/5/05 3:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Power Paw
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Jan-05 04:03 AM

i guess i'm just looking for any advice here, i'm kind of worried about things, this will be a long post so i'll put a point form summary at the bottom, and the issues i'm seeking advice for are clearly stated at the end of this post alright, first of all, not an excuse, but my high school experience was messed up due to moving in the middle of a semester cause of family stuff (really ugly divorce, got kicked out, etc.) so i was not able to apply to university right out of high school i did not have anywhere near good enough marks, or the proper prerequisites, also, i didn't even know what i wanted to apply for so i ended up getting into a community college here, pretty good one, for mechanical engineering as i went through the program (i am in 2nd yr, 2nd semester right now) i regretted not going to university instead, but i never really had the chance after checking out some university websites that are close to where i'm living, i saw the general requirement was a 70% minimum, and certain high school courses i ended up applying to 3 universities ($249 to apply, OUCH!!) i need to know if a 3.33 GPA is good enough for me to be accepted into the universities i chose, like i said 70% was the min with certain high school courses since i've finished 1.5 yrs of college in mechanical engineering, i think i have a huge advantage since i've already taken some of the courses that i will be taking in the university mechanical engineering program also, one of the universities i applied to is partners with the college i'm attending, (same president for both institutions) so, how good are my chances of getting in? and if i do get in should i forget about this 3yr diploma i was working on in college and just go straight into university in september? i'm also worried about time because i need to start working soon to help my mother out financially, but it'll be at least 4.5 yrs before i'm available to work full-time - - - - SUMMARY - Messed up high school, so went to college instead of university - Regretted it, want university - Applied ($249), after researching, and it's a minimum of 70% and certain prerequisites to get into the program i want (Mechanical Engineering, this is also the program i'm taking in college, so i have super advanced prerequisites) - I have a 3.33 GPA (will improve it this semester but unfortunately i have to send the universities a transcript to look at...and i would not send high school, so i'm sending my current college one...3.33) - One of the universities i applied for has the same president as the college i'm attending - Want to get working soon to help mother out financially, but it'll be at least 4.5 yrs before i can work full-time oh and i have around $40 in my bank account - - - - QUESTIONS Basically, i believe i should go to university but money and time are against that decision (i'm almost 20 yrs old) but i know i will regret it forever if i don't get my B. Eng And i would also like to know if my chances are good of getting into at least 1 of the 3 universities i applied for is preference given to high school students or do i have a huge advantage here? - - - - i apologize for the awfully scattered thoughts but as you can see i can't think too clearly on this subject, hence my seeking of advice thank you for your time, any advice would be appreciated
1/5/05 1:02 PM
jgibson

Edited: 05-Jan-05
Have you kept in touch with some of your professors? Letters of Recommendation from a respected professor can go a long way to helping you get in. Also, you have to remember that you have a 3.33 in Engineering classes at a college level, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. You should be fine.
1/5/05 5:48 PM
Power Paw

Edited: 05-Jan-05
" you cant finish out at the college and get a decent job?" yes, but not the job i would be happiest with, also i would like to learn more about mechanical engineering, college doesn't give me enough, and it seems like i'm not being challenged enough if i can do better than this, why wouldn't i? i would hate to feel as if i didn't reach my full potential "Also, you have to remember that you have a 3.33 in Engineering classes at a college level, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. You should be fine." i really hope so thx guys, a little less worried now it sucks that i won't hear back from the unis until april, so i guess i'd better just forget about it worst case scenario, i don't get accepted into any of them and so i finish college, work for a couple of years and then apply to uni again sound like a good idea?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.