UnderGround Forums

South Carolina Underground >> MMA event WITHOUT Boxing Commision

1/5/05 2:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AnthonyHuss
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Jan-05

Gentlemen, I could use your help on this! My event is in danger of being canceled. If I go ahead with it they will likely take legal action against me. As you read this please help me think of some way to prevent the Boxing Commission from overstepping their boundaries. If it means I have to partner myself with another larger organization(AAU or such) then so be it. On Jan 29 I am planning on having a tournament in NC. It is called "BATTLE CRY". www.battlecry.tv(I've hidden most of the stuff on there for now.) It is purely amateur. No cash prizes. There is only a $5 admission fee. Part of the proceeds go to charity. And it's not run for profit(good thing too because I don't try to make one). There is no $$$ to pay off the Boxing shits when they come sniffing around looking of a cut of the profits. For those who don't know MMA is illegal in NC. Although I don't agree with this law it is the law. This has all but killed MMA training and active competitors from NC. So I decided to create a set of rules that would clearly fall in the middle of the two extremes, in between individual striking/grappling rules and full blown MMA rules. I also made sure to write all over the rules, "THIS IS NOT MMA!" By definition these rules are not MMA. However, the NC Boxing Commission seems to have taken the stance that it is. I see action coming soon. Their definition of MMA is simply mixing styles. Though their definition is suspiciously vague. It has the same effect as a speed limit sign WITHOUT a specific speed on it. No one knows where the ever shifting boundary is so out of fear of crossing it everyone goes 1 mph. My rules are: Two fighters of the same weight will compete against each other TWICE, by two separate rules each time. Both fights will have different judges, equipment, rules, etc. Even the winners declared are separate, one for the grappling fight and one for the striking fight(declaring an overall winner would be nice but that might give some over-anxious Boxing Commission ass the chance they want). There is in effect a wall down the middle. That way there's no "mixing", obviously a requirement for something to be considered as MMA. There is one fight done by striking rules. No standing eight count(one of boxing's unsafe points), if a fighter is staggered or knocked down it is over. They can punch and kick anywhere. They can only knee to the body. From a standing clutch position they can throw their opponent, but the action breaks the second they hit the ground and they are stood back up. Mouthpiece, foul cup, head gear, leg guards, and gloves are used. Winner is decided by the total points earned. There is also one fight done by grappling rules. These are pretty much the same submission wrestling rules we are used to everywhere. I use the exact same rules I use for my TAP FACTOR events. WHAT CAN BE DONE TO MAKE SURE THIS NON-MMA EVENT IS OK? Thank you for your time. I am open to all ideas. Regards, Anthony Huss Huss Hybrid Combat College Carolina Cup Director www.GRAPPLER.US wayne_anthonyhuss@yahoo.com
2/14/05 8:30 AM
321FullContact

Edited: 14-Feb-05
Sorry to say it, but pretty much nothing. I used to help promote indy pro wrestling in SC and if NC is like them then they pretty much make up the rules as they go along. That's why they are so vague on their definitions. Anything they can do to either suck your cash away or shut you down if they can't get cash then that's what they do.
2/22/05 10:41 PM
AnthonyHuss

Edited: 22-Feb-05
321FullContact- Hey man I'd like to talk to you asap. Give me a call 704-300-6253 or email me wayne_anthonyhuss@yahoo.com. Anthony
2/26/05 4:19 PM
321FullContact

Edited: 26-Feb-05
Anthony, you've got mail. Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been to this forum lately.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.