UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Vector Calculus is Cool

1/6/05 2:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jgibson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Jan-05

esp. when taken concurrently with Theory of Electromagentism. I feel sorry for people who have never been exposed to this stuff. All of the years of Math I have had to get to this point is finally paying off. Maxwell is an underappreciated genius.
1/14/05 11:41 PM
MITman2k
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jan-05
calc 3 was cool, the only thing about that that class was that I had to change my writing style. I ended up having to put a horizontal line through the middle of z's so I don't get them mixed up with the number 2 lol
1/15/05 7:19 AM
Dogbert

Edited: 15-Jan-05
div/grad/cur or diffeomorphisms,atlases and the like?
1/15/05 2:50 PM
jgibson

Edited: 15-Jan-05
div/grad/curl and all that, dog.
1/21/05 4:37 AM
mmapcpro

Edited: 21-Jan-05 04:59 AM
I loved vector calc... div,grad, curl, green's, stoke's, maxwell's eqs, etc. in my school, we had a seperate semester just for vector calc and fourier series (after calc 3 and diff eq) I figure this makes me a geek, but I have a t-shirt that says, "And God said...", then has maxwell's equations, and then at the bottom, says, "...and there was Light!" If you get the chance, take a course in partial differential equations or boundary value problems...fucking awesome. heat and wave equation solutions, poisson, d'alembert, etc... we spent the first week of class solving the heat equation...it looked like we were doing a long proof (like you usually would see in class before getting to the actual problems), but by the end of the week we learned that the loooooong proof was actually the solution to the problem, heh...
1/21/05 11:53 AM
jgibson

Edited: 21-Jan-05
"partial differential equations or boundary value problems...fucking awesome." I have a choice between this class or Complex Analysis for my elective credit...I'm torn....
1/22/05 10:28 PM
mmapcpro

Edited: 22-Jan-05
O.D.E. is like fantasy land, because most phenomena in real life occur where with varying rates of change, and in multiple dimensions (x,y,z, and t). In P.D.E./boundary value problems courses, you usually work with practical problems, such as determining the flow of heat throughout an iron block with respect to height, width, depth, and time. Same with sound waves traveling across a membrane (like a drum skin), etc. And if you messed around with Fourier series (approximating curves by using a trig (periodic) function within a specific period, say, -pi to pi...in P.D.E., you really get to use this concept in practical applications, as myst PDE's cannot be solved...they can only be approximated by doing a Fourier Transformation using trig functions. This class will REALLY boost your understanding and application of the chain rule in differentiation. The same way I feel that my integral calculus skills were strongly improved after taking vector calculus, I feel that my diff eq skills were EXPONENTIALLY improved after taking PDE/Boundary Value Problems. Enjoy
1/27/05 1:26 AM
jgibson

Edited: 27-Jan-05
" EM is all about geometry. Pick the right coordinate system, and the rest is easy." Are you referring to Gauss' Law?
2/9/05 10:44 PM
Schadenfroh

Edited: 09-Feb-05
vector calculus is cool, makes my head hurt tho volume integrals rock
3/20/05 2:22 AM
jgibson

Edited: 20-Mar-05
Fuck this thread. Vector Calc was not cool. It was a stone cold bitch. First class I have ever gotten a C in. Arggghhhh....
3/29/05 2:55 PM
qeySuS

Edited: 29-Mar-05
Taking Mat F now which is basicly PDE's, Vector Calculus and volume integrals, it's kicking my fucking ass. hope i don't flunk this biatch.
5/10/05 9:43 PM
iceman420

Edited: 10-May-05
taking a class called "Math methods in engineering" which is PDEs/boundary problems, Laplace, and fourier stuff this summer. Lookin forward to it. Calc 3 was cool. I must say, though, ODE's was pretty damn boring to me. Complex Analysis was cool, and since im doing DSP/digi comm. it was a good class to take.
5/11/05 1:26 PM
jgibson

Edited: 11-May-05
I like ODE's. I'm taking it from a great teacher, so that hepls.
5/14/05 9:10 AM
qeySuS

Edited: 14-May-05
btw ended up acing Math F lol weird, now taking EM, cool stuff although i feel like i'm having a hard time getting some physical intuition into it, i'm still able to solve most problems that we're suppose to do (we have Griffiths Introduction to electromagnetism), but don't feel like i could answer questions if someone came to me and asked "What happens if i do so and so". I gotta agree with the original title of this thread, this is pretty cool stuff, it's amazing how much you learn in a year, i remember hardly even knowing what a vector was, and (although having two years of calculus in HS lol) not really knowing what differentiating and integrating really meant to this. Ever think what you one year ago would see the things you're doing now would think? :) (actually i think me from one year ago would slap me now for making so many math/physics jokes and finding them hilarious).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.