UnderGround Forums

PhotoshopGround >> How to make print ready?

1/9/05 2:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JennyCraig
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Jan-05

Could someone please walk me through the steps to make a photoshop product ready to go to a professional printer?
1/9/05 4:33 PM
attjack

You need to be working at around 300 dpi. You need to have your color mode set to CMYK. It's also a lot more common to be giving them an Illustrator file although you can write out a PDF instead I suppose. But if you have text in your work you're better off adding the text in Illustrator, you'll get better results. If you do that create a package with Illustrator and either embed the font or change it to outlines beforehand.
1/9/05 4:55 PM
JennyCraig

I have never had any formal illustrator or photoshop training. Everything I know is from trial and error or from this forum. How do I make sure it is 300 dpi? Thanks, by the way, for the reply.
1/9/05 7:17 PM
attjack

Go to image - Image size and check the resolution. If it's been done at 72 dpi you'll have to do it over. Any photos will need to be 300 dpi before you bring them in. What are you working on?
1/10/05 9:09 AM
JennyCraig

Edited: 10-Jan-05
Thanks for the help atjack. I am working on a logo, letter head and business card project. I am going to break down and purchase a photoshop and illustrator book. Can you recommend one?
1/10/05 2:25 PM
attjack

Edited: 10-Jan-05
Sure, you help all those fat people lose weight, I figure you deserve a little advice. If at all possible you should consider doing the logo in Illustrator. Illustrator makes vector based graphics which means you can scale them to any size you want. There's a good chance what you've done so far will work fine for the business card and letterhead as well as web uses. Past that you'll need a vector version for scalability. I have a few books but not really any in particular I would recommend. This logo I did could be used on a billboard because the original is vector. I drew it in pencil and then scanned it in and placed it in Illustrator and then traced over it and refined the drawing. Maybe you could even bring in what you've done in PhotoShop and trace that. http://www.attikai.com/Attikai-Design.jpg
1/11/05 3:41 PM
JennyCraig

Edited: 11-Jan-05
Attjack, You rock. I appreciate the advice. That logo is very cool.
1/25/05 4:46 PM
nimitivd
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jan-05
300 dpi at least at actual size. a 300 dpi 4x4 image you want to print at 12x12 does you no good. use tiff format. always add .125 inch bleed on all sides (unless of course it does not bleed). ie a business card, 2x3.5, your image would be 2.25x3.75 small type in photoshop sucks, larger type is alright. we print a lot of stuff that comes to us as tiffs. if you are using large spaces of just black, use a rich black instead of 100k. a rich black for example, for SWOP is 75c, 67m, 68y, 90k. each profile has its own "rich black" it just depends. You would safe to use the swop rich black in most cases. Never use rich black for type, use 100k. Attjack is correct about illustrator and logos. If you can't build in vector in illustrator, it shouldn't be part of a logo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.