UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Lower level events in japan

1/16/05 1:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChrisCarroll
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jan-05

I'm just wondering if there are many lower level pro events in japan. And if it is easy for Gaijin to enter?
1/16/05 7:37 PM
JDee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jan-05
SHOOTO has C class amateur events held regularly I'm sure. I did see one event on a Japanese website, not sure what it was, but you just signed up on the day? So i guess there are some amateur events floating around. Having said that I'd never call SHOOTO amateur in any nature. Hope this helped. - Juggs
1/17/05 1:30 AM
mestregruber
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jan-05
I live in a rural area, and we still manage to get to amateur Shooto and Pancrase events every couple months or so. There's one next week, in fact. As long as you are hooked up with a gym, it's easy to get fights, although sometimes it is hard to find heavy opponents.
1/17/05 9:50 AM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mestregruber - you're in Japan? Cool! Where at? Which orgs you fight in? As for the original poster, yeah shooto has amateur events, though everybody says that shooto amateur is actually quite a high level. For 'easier' amateur events Pancrase has been advised. For pro levels (MMA) G.C.M. runs a few lower level pro events like demolition and now they've just stated D.O.G. which is a cage event (first event happening in March). Put it this way, if you want to fight and are good enough, and as mestregruber said you are hooked up with a gym, you'll get fights.
1/17/05 8:37 PM
mestregruber
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SILK- I live in Tottori-city, in Tottori prefecture. It's small, but you live in Japan so you may have heard of it. We have sand dunes? I have just fought in BJJ/grappling since I have been here, but guys from our gym fight in amateur Shooto and Pancrase matches all the time. We are going to the amateur Pancrase bouts in Osaka next Sunday, for one. I was planning on entering, but I didn't get my app in on time and I wasn't really in shape for it anyway after the holidays. I would say that the amateur events there isn't really a skill requirement, especially if you are heavy. Basically just wanting to fight will generally get you a spot. Being foreign will make you fighting a little more interesting, and being in a heavy weight class will often mean they have trouble finding opponents, so they may be really happy to have you fight.
1/17/05 11:03 PM
Jaje

Like SILK said I think C class shooto is actually quite a level higher than you would expect. Hell I've rolled with a C class guy who was on the All Japan Grecco team. J. P.S. SILK can you shoot me an email at jj_sidic@hotmail.com ... lost your addy and got some more questions for ya :)
2/14/05 9:33 AM
ShiroRyu

Edited: 14-Feb-05
Man, I sure am glad to be 66 kg, I might get some fights in Japan if I ever go there.
2/14/05 10:41 PM
SendaiMMA

Edited: 14-Feb-05
There is a combat wrestling event in Machida coming up in march. March 1st is the deadline to enter. I have all the info if anyone is interested in fighting. The top weight class is 80kgs and up. They asked me to fight but I'm not sure if I feel like getting my ankle twisted off this month or not.
2/15/05 5:55 PM
Tball

Edited: 15-Feb-05
Do they have amatuer Shootboxing events?
2/15/05 8:17 PM
SendaiMMA

no shootboxing just a couple different types of submission wrestling.
2/15/05 9:14 PM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes they have amateur Shootboxing events. There are 2 types of ama shootboxing - Light Amateur and Amateur. In light amateur you wear a head guard, body protector, gloves and shin pads. No standing submissions allowed, no knees to the face. I also think no throwing (not sure there). In Amateur Shootboxing you wear headgear, gloves and shin pads. No knees to the face (you can knee the body and legs), no standing submissions. You are allowed to throw. The main amateur tourney is held in December in Golds Gym Ohmori (sp?). Thats the All Japan Amateur Shootboxing Tournament (Been in 2 of them so far. Will go again this year if all goes well). If you win your division you are allowed to fight pro the next year in Shootboxing. 3 years ago they had 3 weigt divisions - under 57, between 57 and 67, and over 67 (Unlimited). 2 years ago they made another weight division. So now its under 57, under 67, under 77 and over 77.
2/20/05 4:31 PM
Tball

Edited: 20-Feb-05
Thanks Silk, Can anyone enter these or do you have to belong to a shootboxing association or something?
2/20/05 7:45 PM
SILK

Any person can enter. As long as the guys in your gym think your level is good enough for it, you can enter. No need to be part of a shootboxing association. Just fill out the forms and send your money:) (They often also hold an Amateur SB tourney around the middle of the year. I can try to find out if you like)
2/20/05 9:28 PM
JDee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody know the results of the C class SHOOTO event that's on/was on soon/recently?? A guy from GUTSMAN Gym that was out here in Australia recently was training at our gym and was fighting on this event and I just wanted to know how he went. Any help would be appreciated. - Juggs
2/24/05 9:30 PM
mestregruber

Edited: 24-Feb-05
Apparently, there is "D" class Shooto as well. It has softer rules, and two 2 minute rounds. I am fighting in "C" class next month in Okayama. If I win, I will get a shot at the All-Japan amateur Shooto tournament. But I have to cut to LHW from Cruiser first, a 15 pound difference. I hate dieting.
2/26/05 1:21 AM
JDee

Edited: 26-Feb-05
goodluck buddy! - Juggs
7/21/05 11:21 PM
Tball

Edited: 21-Jul-05
mestregruber, did you win?
7/26/05 6:29 AM
kezza

Edited: 26-Jul-05
Hey Juggs. Are you talking about katsuhiro Hirata? I have the DVD and when I am finished with it i will send it to JJ (as per our system). Please grapple him for the first place honours for the right to see it first.
7/26/05 10:00 AM
JDee

Nah Kezza I was refering Yuya that was training with us. Nice guy. "I have the DVD and when I am finished with it i will send it to JJ (as per our system). Please grapple him for the first place honours for the right to see it first." I have!,...and he flogged me! - Juggs
7/26/05 8:59 PM
Jaje

Yuya Matsuno is the guy who fought, trains out of Gutsman.
9/22/05 4:49 PM
mestregruber

Edited: 22-Sep-05
Fight was called off, and then I was asked to fight someone else on two days notice. It was grappling rules, and I lost.
9/29/05 1:02 AM
Issus

Edited: 29-Sep-05
D Shooto rules are like so ( from what I can remember only gomen ): 2X2 minute rounds Shooto gloves (or any other allowed MMA style gloves), head gear, shin guards, mouth guard and cup must be worn. Knees and elbows are not allowed. Striking is only allowed standing. No neck cranks, spinal locks or heel hooks allowed. All takedowns except for scissors kick style (i.e. slamming legs into waist and knees at the same time) are allowed. All other submissions are allowed. I think that's it but someone else can probably tell you more if I'm badly wrong.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.