UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Thinking of Graduate School

1/21/05 10:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Calbert
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jan-05 04:01 AM

I'm thinking of going to graduate school. I love philosophy, but I'm just not sure what I want to do for a career. Can anybody give me some pros and cons of going to grad school and pursuing a career in college level teaching? I would mostly be interested in teaching if I went to grad school. Could I make a decent career teaching with just a masters? Thanks! C.J.
1/23/05 11:42 PM
dnwsr
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jan-05
i'm in grad school for political theory/philosophy. the grad student lifestyle is much different than that of undergrad. you don't spend much time in class, but you are expected to spend a lot outside. you'll have to do a lot of reading and research. i'm in political theory because i really like philosophy, but i wanted a more "practical" application. we talk a lot about problems facing gov't, society, and humanity in general. if you like it, go for it. don't be concerned with the money. if you are good at what you do, the money will generally follow. you can actually make decent money teaching/researching at the college level. you do need the Phd. though. a masters won't help you much if you are looking at being a college professor. so far i'm enjoying grad school. you are pretty much given all of the responsibility to do the work. i've had good experiences with faculty and since i'm on an assistantship, i am getting a good taste of the job requirements. anyways, i hope this helps a little.
1/27/05 9:51 AM
Subadie

Edited: 27-Jan-05 09:51 AM
Your hope is a descent into the career of teaching ?
1/28/05 4:01 AM
Calbert

Edited: 28-Jan-05
"Your hope is a descent into the career of teaching ?" Sorry about that. "Descent" should actually be "decent." I will edit it.
1/28/05 12:15 PM
Subadie

Edited: 28-Jan-05
Don't take it too seriously. My comment was as much a comment on my thoughts about teaching in general.
2/4/05 4:01 PM
dnwsr
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Feb-05
IMO, teaching is one of the most important and meaningful jobs you can have. if you are looking for monetary compensation, it might not be the place to go. However if you want to help educate others and actually make a difference in lives, its not a bad choice.
2/4/05 4:11 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 04-Feb-05

I have also heard that teaching something is the best way to learn it.

2/12/05 6:02 AM
ChemicalSage
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Feb-05
Those who cannot do, teach.
2/12/05 11:57 AM
dnwsr

Edited: 12-Feb-05
"Those who cannot do, teach." ignorant statement. its just the opposite in the academic world. the top scholars are usually teachers as well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.