UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> STICKFIGHT IN THE STREET STORY

1/23/05 6:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jan-05
JKDU--MMA For The Street, BJJ, Kali

Let me relate a true story that happened recently. I have a long time friend and student who first trained in stick fighting when I taught the cooperative approach. He stayed with me as I changed my focus to training those aspects that can be applied in full-speed sparring. He has since become very proficient at stick sparring. On a winter morning he was driving his truck down a highway near his home. He lives in a rural area, and there was snow on the ground and ice on the road. The conditions were so bad that many cars had slid off the road. The police made sure that people were driving safely by driving their patrol cars on the roads slowly. My friend was following a police car when another truck pulled up fast behind him. The driver came very close, flashed his lights and honked his horn. My friend pulled over to the next lane. The man changed lanes too, still flashing his lights and following closely. Since he was near home, my friend figured that it was one of his friends playing a joke. So he turned off a side street and parked. The truck followed and parked behind him. My student’s mood changed quickly when he saw a large man whom he didn’t know exit the truck with a large hand made wooden club in his hand. My student reached under his seat for his metal extendable baton and waited. As the man approached, my student thrust the door open, hitting the man in the forehead with the edge of the door. The attacker reeled back, already bleeding. My student stepped out, extended the baton, and immediately hit the assailant in the arm. The shocked attacker dropped his club. My student continued his attack, hitting to the arms and legs. The attacker fell to the ground and curled up in the fetal position. My student calmly got back in his truck and left. He called me with a few interesting observations. First, he said that he was successful because he was mentally ready to fight as soon as the guy got out of his truck. The large, armed attacker wanted to intimidate my friend. Instead, my student immediately took control of the tempo of the fight and never gave the bully a chance to get started. My student went right to work, never saying a single word. I asked “What do you think would have happened if you had only trained the way we used to, with a cooperative partner?” His answer was enlightening. “I would have waited for him to hit me first. Then he would have been in control. Because of all the sparring, I knew that I needed to get the first strike in before he hit me.” Pretty interesting, isn't it? Good thing he practiced realistic stick sparring and was mentally prepared. It could have been a very bad sitution for him. I'll bet that guy never tries that again!
1/24/05 10:15 AM
theMachine23
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jan-05
awesome story
1/24/05 2:48 PM
krept
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good post, thanks
1/24/05 6:16 PM
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Real stickfighting pays off! Bludhall, I haven't seen that shirt in awhile!
1/25/05 1:57 PM
Robkali

Edited: 25-Jan-05
"As the man approached, my student thrust the door open, hitting the man in the forehead with the edge of the door. The attacker reeled back, already bleeding" But Burton, isn't this really an example of Real DOOR-fighting...? j/k LOL see ya Rob
1/26/05 7:09 PM
Burton

Edited: 26-Jan-05
Good point Rob!
1/26/05 9:06 PM
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jan-05
I've seen the door-to-the-head trick work a couple of times. Great first strike. I've also seen it back-fire and hit a shoulder and get slammed back on (my) head. Funny now, looking back on it.
1/31/05 3:41 AM
Burton

Edited: 31-Jan-05
Jeet Door Do, the way of the intercepting door.
3/21/05 12:58 AM
NinjaNate

Edited: 21-Mar-05
In your opinion what would your friend have done if the big man didn't have a club?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.