UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Training in Japan info please

1/24/05 5:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
markffd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jan-05

I'm looking into going to Japan next fall and I was hoping someone here could give me some general info on training jiu jitsu & sub wrestling in Japan. 1. Would signing up in the JET program allow me a lot of time to train? 2. Are there a lot of grappling competitions in Japan. Also, I'm 6'3 215lbs.. would there be a lot of people my size to compete with? 3. I'd like to remain in a big city, like Tokyo or Osaka. How does the grappling training there compare to the top places in the States (I'm actually from canada)? ANY info or advice is really appreciated. I know there are other training reports out there, but they seem outdated. Thanks a lot!
1/25/05 3:49 PM
Tball

Edited: 25-Jan-05
You will strugle to stay in a cuty if you join the Jet program. Most people get sent to Hick country towns. Still good cultural experiance but probaly not good for training.
1/25/05 9:16 PM
markffd

Edited: 25-Jan-05
Seriously? I don't want to be dumped in the sticks. Because...... I'm so ronery. So ronery. So ronery and sadry arone. Dere's no one, just me onry, sitting on my rittle throne. I wook rearry hard and make upgreat plans. But nobody listens, no one understands... Seems that no one takes me SER-RI-ROUS-REEEEEEEEE... And so... I'm rone-ry... A rittle rone-ry... Poor rittle me.
1/26/05 5:27 AM
Jaje

Edited: 26-Jan-05
Is that a joke?
1/26/05 6:30 AM
markffd

Yes. I took it from Team America: World Police.
1/26/05 8:27 AM
JDee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You need to get to the movies more Jaje. - Juggs
2/3/05 3:21 AM
arb10

Edited: 03-Feb-05
If you do the JET Program make sure you request Yokohama or Kawasaki. You will never get Tokyo or Osaka so it's not even worth trying. There are a lot of gyms in Yokohama and Kawasaki is right there as well. I was in Yokohama as a JET for two years and had plenty of time to train at night or in the evenings.
2/3/05 7:14 PM
markffd

Edited: 03-Feb-05
I'm really a big city person. Maybe the JET program isn't for me. I want to live in Tokyo or Osaka and train with guys like Yuki Nakai.
2/4/05 2:20 AM
JDee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Feb-05
Yokohama's pretty RAD markffd! - Juggs
2/7/05 9:55 PM
mestregruber
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Feb-05
Odds of getting a big city are slim to none on JET, but plenty of time and extra cash to train. Depends on how picky you are about where you train; I train at a local shooto club and sometimes go to seminars and stuff. If you absolutely have to be in the big city, try to find a job that has as few hours as possible, and make up the rest in part-time gigs, they pay better but are less reliable. I signed up for shooto fights next weekend, but had no opponent. Guys your size are uncommon in Japan, but not unheard of. I have managed to compete in Japan every 2 or 3 months. Best of luck.
2/8/05 12:33 AM
markffd

Edited: 08-Feb-05
Thanks for the warm words Mestregruber. Seems like there are better alternatives to the JET program. As long as I get to train a lot under quality instruction I don't really care where I am.
2/10/05 4:12 AM
markffd

Edited: 10-Feb-05
I see, nevermind JET then. I'll have to figure out a way to work in Tokyo. By the way, does Yuki Nakai offer any no-gi classes?
2/24/05 9:34 PM
mestregruber
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Feb-05
I am going to Tokyo and Yokohama for business next week, and I also plan on stopping by some dojos including Paraestra. I will let you know what my findings are. Yuki Nakai is a cool guy. I once sat next to him at a Korean BBQ place and talked to him about music for like half an hour.
4/10/05 9:33 PM
mestregruber

Edited: 10-Apr-05
Report: I went to Paraestra Tokyo, it is way out on the West side, but some good guys train there. It is tiny, but there are all sorts of classes including no-gi, and different class times all day. Yuki Nakai was there for a bit, and he remembered me. There was also a really high-level Judo guy there by the name of Komuro whose groundfighting was really sharp. Good luck finding work in Tokyo. Might I suggest looking on gaijinpot.com?
4/23/05 1:15 AM
markffd

Edited: 23-Apr-05
Thanks for that report Mestre. I guess Paraestra is the best place to learn/practice grappling in Tokyo. Some of their guys medalled at the pan-ams. How does Axis JJ compare? Thanks for the link too.
4/24/05 1:34 PM
red croc

Edited: 24-Apr-05
lots of tournaments for Bjj. Usually every other month theres one. Some are big some are moderate. But usually well run. There are people your weight category. I wouldnt worry too much about that. Tokyo is huge. So being place in tokyo doesnt really mean much. The conversation schools arent always great because of the politics. good luck. cheers rc
5/4/05 4:13 AM
Tommy Gunnz
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-05
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.