UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Mount Foot Drag/Lift Questions

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/24/05 2:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
demandango
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jan-05

re: http://www.royharris.com/findArticle.do?docId=299 http://www.royharris.com/findArticle.do?docId=300 in these versions of these 2 escapes, you do the hip movement to the left, THEN clear the knee in the foot drag, while you clear the knee first before/during the hip movement to the left in the foot lift. why do you not clear the knee before the hip movement in the foot drag? if your hands were on your partner's right hip during the foot drag would you clear the knee first (before the hip movement)? it seems like you would sometimes be able to clear the knee before the hip movement during the foot drag also, especially if you used your hands on his hips. if you are able to clear the knee first, should you? is clearing the knee after the hip movement superior for any reason? thanks in advance.
1/26/05 2:47 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jan-05
I am lost with what you wrote because my hips do not move to the left first, they move to the right. I turn onto my left side if that is what you mean. The purpose of these drills is to help the student learn how to move their hips without relying on arm strength to push the knee down (like so many blue belts do when they perform any type of elbow/knee escape). Also, clearing the knee first is called the cheat. It can only be done when there is weight on the feet. When the weight is on the knee, the footlift and foot drag are more efficient. Roy Harris
1/26/05 4:43 AM
demandango
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I am lost with what you wrote because my hips do not move to the left first, they move to the right. I turn onto my left side if that is what you mean." that is not what i mean, i am referring to the hip movement to the left -after- you have turned onto your left side. see if my post makes sense now with that in mind, sorry for the lack of clarity :). in the clips, you can see that there is a different point during the escape that you clear the opponents right knee. i am just wondering why you do not clear it during the foot drag at the same time as you would during the foot lift. if anyone else understands my post, please feel free to either answer or add language that might clarify my question. thanks in advance.
1/26/05 9:24 AM
twinkletoesCT
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center
demandango, I understand what you see. Let me see if I am correct in identifying it: Foot Lift escape (middle portion): laying on your left side, lift the knee using your right foot and place the knee between your legs. Once the knee is on the ground, place your left foot on the ground and move your hips to the left. Foot Drag escape (middle portion): laying on your left side, you have trapped the ankle and raised his knee off the ground. bring your hips back underneath your partner so that you can push his knee down with your thigh. Once the knee is on the ground, place your left foot on the ground and move your hips to the left. I see what it is in the clips that you are trying to identify, and I think what you are trying to say is this: In the regular foot drag (as well as the foot lift), the hip movement does not begin until the knee is on the ground between your legs. In the foot drag variation without hands, the hips move back underneath your partner (a little) before you push the knee down with your thigh. Now, here are the questions you asked: "why do you not clear the knee before the hip movement in the foot drag?" The hips moved back underneath the opponent so that the thigh was in position to clear the knee. They did not snake/shrimp/scoot to the left until after the knee was clear. "if your hands were on your partner's right hip during the foot drag would you clear the knee first (before the hip movement)?" In the standard foot drag, the hips turn right to raise his knee so that you can push it down with your hand. From there, the hips move to the left. I think those suggest the answers to your last questions as well. Keep in mind, too, that the purpose behind these clips were to illustrate two articles on executing mount escape variations without your hands. ~TT
1/26/05 3:37 PM
demandango

tt, yes, those are my questions. thanks. however, in bjj 101 i believe roy executes the hip movements/clearing of the opponent's right knee the same way while using his hands (same as with no hands on his website). i just do not understand why the two escapes are performed differently ASIDE from the drag or the lift. for example 'bolo' performs the two escapes the same on his mount escapes tape: as opposed to first clearing the foot, then moving the hip to the left, then clearing the knee in the foot drag, he does it the same as the foot lift (clears the knee THEN hip movement to the left). just curious as to why roy performs these escapes with that difference and if one is superior. thanks.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.