UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> SPEAR VS WRESTLER

7/7/02 3:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jul-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

ANOTHER INTERESTING THREAD THAT WAS ACCIDENTLY SENT TO SAVED ARCHIVES: From: sharkelephant17a    Hello, I attended a tony seminar a while back and learned the SPEAR along with supplemental videos from tony. I find it to be a good technique for street defense. The only thing that bugs me about it is the susceptibility of the lead leg to a single leg takedown by a wrestler. I am wondering if any of you have experienced this problem and what you did to solve it. I used to wrestle but due to a bad back injury no longer train in those circles but I do remember how low and easily some guys penetrate in when they shoot and this is an aspect of SPEAR I routinely question. any input? TIA --- From: AdamLaClair    Shark, When you say you learned the "SPEAR," it is apparent that you must be referring to the TACTICAL SPEAR and not the S.P.E.A.R. system as a whole. To directly answer your question, the Tactical spear can be easily and slightly modified to a variation called the "half-spear," using a single forearm, instead of both arms, intercepting at the brachial plexes at the top of the trapezius/side of the neck. This variation works quite well against a single leg takedown, and even combines well with a sprawl. For an added bonus, the harder/faster/ deeper they penetrate in for the takedown, the more it hurts THEM due to a "stun" effect from a pressure point that is there. You really should get the SPEAR fundamentals video, as this will give you more knowledge and insight into the SPEAR system as a whole, and not just the commonly viewed tactic that everyone has seen in Black Belt magazine. On a final note..........the last time I trained with the guys at a Personal Defense Readiness seminar, a half-spear vs. a single leg takedown was introduced as an addition to the Close Quarter Form. Just an example that things are always evolving and improving in the system!! Adam LaClair ---- From: nowaydo I'm a wrestler foremost and the guys I train combatives with have "no wrestling experience" and they are not as fast as me, yet when we learned the "Tactical Spear", I was not able to shoot a double on them. Not only can they stop me, but they can hurt me. They were very pleased. I could do a low single, but it just isn't that practical or likely to happen in the streets. Robert --- From: Tony Blauer YOU WRITE: "I attended a Tony seminar a while back and learned the SPEAR along with supplemental videos from Tony. I find it to be a good technique for street defense. The only thing that bugs me about it is the susceptibility of the lead leg to a single leg takedown by a wrestler." 1. The SPEAR is not a tehnique. There is the system and the tactic. The tactic, like any tactic is part of a fight. 2. Too many people see a move and turn it into a 'technique' like a Thai kick, straight blast, head but, choke, arm bar...all these moves work except when you try to make them ALWAYS work. 3. REFRAME: You said you learned the SPEAR...you were likely exposed to the SPEAR definitions and examples, but you need to realize you didn’t learn it until you’ve done your homework. I give 40 hour instructor classes and there's still homework these trainers must complete to have confidence in it. 4. Have you done BMFs with the SPEAR tactic? Scenarios? Isolations? Have you run through the most important Murphy Conversion Principles? Have you don’t the EMOTIONAL CLIMATE DRILLS vs. tackles from HIGH, THIGH, KNEE, DBL, Single leg and also included the counters from a failed SPEAR? If the answer is "Er, um..Kind of or no”, then you’re missing the foundation as well as the education that helps people understand the difference between tactics and the 'technique'. 5. Don't confuse street with sport. :-) Tony
7/17/02 11:04 PM
nowaydo

Edited: 17-Jul-02
Counters from a failed SPEAR! Great thought!
7/24/02 11:39 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 24-Jul-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
:-) T

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.