UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Dolby question

2/2/05 11:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
asymmetrik
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-05 11:56 AM

howdy. i have a question about Dolby options/opinions for 35mm, analog, stereo, optical sound track. firstly, my sound was designed on Logic and ProTools as a basic stereo mix. my designer did the final mix himself and it's pretty much as good as it can get without going to a huge mixing facility and paying thousands of dollars an hour. however, because we're not going to a high-end mixing facility for a final mix, there is some hiss and noise etc (mainly from shitty production sound). Test audiences haven't noticed it as they're engaged in the story thankfully, but of course I do notice it because i've seen it a million times and "only see/hear the flaws." now my question is: is it worth it to have the facility who is going to be shooting my optical sound track apply some sort of Dolby NR? Will this significantly clean up my sound and make it noticably better for theatrical screening? also, if I should be looking into Dolby Stereo or Dolby SR, and these steps wouldn't require us to remix the sound, and would increase quality, please let me know. thanks!
2/3/05 9:12 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Feb-05
"is it worth it to have the facility who is going to be shooting my optical sound track apply some sort of Dolby NR? " At this point applying Dolby will do nothing to help get rid of the noise, in a nutshell Dolby encodes the audio and decodes it at playback so whatever hiss you have will stay about the same. The best thing to do is to run your final mix (or even better just your production tracks) through a good noise reduction system with somebody who knows what theyre doing, Cedar is the best but pretty pricey. Track down somebody with or possibly rent a Cedar DNS 1000 http://www.cedar-audio.com/
2/3/05 9:28 AM
asymmetrik
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Feb-05
DasBeaver-- Thanks for the info. I will definitely have my sound designer check out Cedar DNS. Hopefully I'm just being nitpicky :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.