UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Roy ? your about music background

2/3/05 12:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Feb-05

Roy, On your other forum you said: "I was very big into music at one time in my life. I had a full music scholarship to the University of Minnesota and played (and traveled) with the McDonald's All Star Jazz Ensemble." My question is do you still play? Also just out of curiousity what type of music do you like? Gospel, Jazz, Hip Hop, country...what. Thanks for your time.
2/5/05 8:47 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Feb-05
TTT
2/10/05 12:56 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Feb-05
m.g., I still have my Bach Stradivarius 16M (http://www.bachbrass.com/ content/s_trombones/lt16m.php). However, I no longer play. What type of music do I normally listen to? Most of the time, I listen to Jazz (fusion, funk and acid), Gospel (pop, jazz and rap), R&B, Pop and Hip Hop. I will listen to just about anything, except Heavy Metal and Country. Heck, I even listen to folk and international music......but there is something about THE NOISE of heavy metal and the WALLOWING WHINE of some country singers that drives me bezerk : ) I just recently had a $3600, custom made sound system put in my car! When I drive down the road now, I can hear the high and mid-range AND FEEL my bass. Additionally, because the system was custom made for my Bimmer, I can bobb my head without fear of retaliation! WHY? Well, because when the tunes are jammin' on the inside, no one on the outside can hear or feel my music. (There's nothing worse than FEELING the guys bass in the car right next to yours and having to listen to his music while the light is red) Roy Harris
2/11/05 8:28 PM
m.g

Edited: 11-Feb-05
Roy, Just out of curiosity why don't you play anymore? Anyway it seems like you have a good taste in music. The thing about country music. I don't like much either BUT I recently got hook on Jonny Cash. His last CD, "American IV: The Man comes Around" is excellent. It is one of my favorite CDs. The interesting thing I heard the title song "The man comes around" during the credits of the movie "Hunted" with Tommy Lee Jones and Bernico (sp?). You that knife fighting movie. Anyway the song itself had absolutely nothing to do with the movie (it is religious song) which made me wonder why it was in the film to begin with BUT it is a great song. Another thing about country music, the movie "O' Brother Where Art Thou" with George Clonney and John Turtoro(sp?) really got me with the gospel country hymns as well with the song "Man of Constant Sorrow". I never thought I would every like any country song until I heard those country songs I mentioned above. I don't like heavy metal much either BUT I do like POD's song "Alive". Great song.
2/12/05 3:08 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Feb-05
m.g., I stopped playing because I simply ran out of time. You see, there are those with natural talent and then there are those with nutured talent. I was one of those in the last group. I spent countless hours practicing my horn. I also spent countless practicing on baritone, trumpet, flugel horn, french horn, tuba and even valved trombone. Back in those days, I was obsessed with musical perfection. I wanted to develop a conductor's ear. I wanted to be able to listen to a symphony and hear the wrong note played by the second chair clarinet in the thirty-second bar as well as the hear that the first cello was sharp and oboe was flat. I wanted to be able to listen to music with an attentive, precise ear. So, I spent hundreds of hours listening to music. I would listen to the same song 100+ times, each time listening to a different instrument. Heck, I spent over $2000 on speakers for my home stereo system. Remember, this was 1983, and $2000 was a lot of money to spend on a speakers! However, I did all of that to develop an ear! Back then, my life surrounded golf and music. However, my father had different plans for me. And, after spending so much time working, I eventually stopped playing. Roy Harris
2/13/05 3:42 PM
m.g

Edited: 13-Feb-05 07:29 PM
Roy, Your last post brings me to these two questions. Since you have invested so much time and energy into practicing and perfecting your instrument playing skills, can you still play now? What I mean by that is: Can you pick up a trombone, trumpet, or whatever instrument you were good at and play now and still play it decently well (play like you know how to play)? It seems you were very very disciplined in regards to the development of your musical talents. I couldn't help but notice the similiarities in regards to discipline to practicing your instruments and the discipline you often speak of when it comes to practicing the techniques of Bjj. How much has that experience with developing your musical talent influence your mindset and attitude concern skill development in Bjj and other activities? My personal feeling is that people usually transfere or carry the mindset or attitude that had in regards to one activity or endeavor to other activities they later partake in. So since you were very disciplined in regards to your practice with music I would think you would be the same with Bjj. In other words your were/are very discipline with you practice/training of bjj because you were very disciplined in regards to practice when you were a serious musician. I am I wrong to make such an assumption?
2/22/05 10:37 AM
m.g

Edited: 22-Feb-05
TTT
2/23/05 12:02 PM
Roy Harris

Edited: 23-Feb-05
m.g, I did invest a ton of time into my old music life. I can still pick up any horn and play. However, my current skill level would be no where near what it used to be. The last time I picked up an horn was over 20 years ago. However, I still have "the feel" in my hands and in my chops. So, while I may be able to "play" the instrument, I would sound pretty rough. With regard to my discipline with music and it tranferring to other areas of my life, here's the scoop: Anything I have been interested in, I spent several years as a fanatic. Here's what I mean by this: When I become involved in music, basketball, church, bjj, jkd and fma, I spent countless hours practicing the basics. I would do so all by myself, without the assistance of anyone else. I would live, eat, breathe, sleep, dream and poop whatever I was into at the time. And, while I never had the technical repetoire of some folks (i.e. quantity of information/techniques), I always had a FIRM GRIP on the core basics (the most often used elements), AND, I always "played." NOTE: All fanatics around the world, in all fields of endeavors, do the same thing: They play in their chosen activity. In other words, they spend an inordinate amount of time experimenting and adapting AND HAVING FUN enjoying the process. This is what separates them from the "hobbyist." Hobbyist enjoy what they are doing, but they usually have a goal in mind. Fanatics don't really care about goals because they know they will reach milestones in their progress (and its a given). Nope, all they care about is enjoying the painstaking process, one second and one millimeter at a time. They also enjoy paying strict attention to even the smallest of details. So m.g., you were not wrong to make such an assumption. Do you play? Roy Harris
2/23/05 1:16 PM
m.g

Edited: 23-Feb-05 01:29 PM
Roy, I use to play the violin when I was younger. In fact I use to be able to read music (that was when they actually "taught" music in the school systems). It is said you never realize or appreciate what you have until it is gone. I never really appreciated what I was learning nor the opportunities I had until now 25 or so years later. I regret not appreciating it back then when I was learning and studying it. I've always liked music BUT I really like music now, moreso then when I was actually learning and studying it. I like the skill and science of it. And I regret forgetting all those things about music that I learned when I was younger. I reget not sticking with it, at least to the point where I can recall and use those concepts and principles I learned. I regret forgetting it because it certainly would be of great used now. I just have such great respect and admiration for people who can play instruments and know music very well. Incidently when you talk about fanatics what you say is so true. I know that you're a christian so you might appreciate what I recently come to understand. I have spent a great deal of time studying the book of Ecclesiates. One of the many points that is made in that book is that God allows and gives us the ability to enjoy the fruits of our labors and endeavors. When you talk about how fanatics enjoy the process as well as the fruit or outcome of the process I can't help but to think of what is stated in Ecclesiates. When you enjoy something so much, doing it becomes both the motivation as well as reward. I truly believe that both the motivation to "do" as well as the "fruit" from doing are gifts from God, especially when you consider that the very thing which one labors in won't last forever. Some people just don't understand the "joy" some fanatics get from the very thing they put so much time and energy into.
2/23/05 5:25 PM
Roy Harris

m.g., Well said! So, have you picked up your violin? Have you sense a revival in your spirit to play and practice again? I have. Just recently, I made the effort to contact Mr. Bill Watrous. I found his e-mail address online and made the effort to contact him. I am hoping to have lunch with him one day and listen to him talk about his experiences as a Jazz Trombonist, something I so desperately wanted to become. I am also hoping to hang on his coat tail for a day or two and attend a session or two. That guy is a virtuoso. He has done things no other trombonist has done. His repetoire and technical abilities are unmatched. I would like to have meet him and have a little of his inspiration rub off on me. (Of course this is purely selfish on my part. I rarely have time to answer my own e-mails, let alone practice my trombone........but the thought of meeting someone of his caliber is very exciting. I'll let you know if it ever occurs.) Gotta run, Roy Harris
2/23/05 5:40 PM
m.g

Roy, Have I sense a revival in my spirit to play and practice again? Yeah, but not the violin. More so the piano or guitar. I actually want to learn and practice those two instruments because they seem to be more universal then the violin. but aside from that I really just want to understand better music: how it is create, how it is composed; I want a better understanding of tempo, melody, rhythm. I want to know what exactly a "chord" and a "rif" are and how to recognize it in a song. I want to learn more about "notes" and "keys". Some of the best conversations I've ever had were with my friends who were musicians. I loved how they would disect music. I would ask them questions all day. Actually two of my friends play the same instruments you play. One of my friends is a jazz singer who is also studying opera. Anyway thanks for responding to this thread!
2/24/05 9:29 AM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Feb-05
Modern Self-Defense Center
This thread has inspired me to get my alto saxophone out and practice again. I haven't played it in maaaaaaaaaany years. I'm going to go buy some reeds and get crackin'! ~TT

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.