UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> attn: twinkletoesct

2/5/05 5:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Eel
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Feb-05

twinkletoesct, I noticed on one of Roy's tapes that he sort of angles to the side when he is doing the leg on shoulder pass. So if he is lifting his partner's left leg onto his right shoulder, Roy will take a short step and angle his body to his right. Do you know what the purpose of this movement is? I was wondering if it helps you get the leg up on your shoulder?
2/6/05 10:32 PM
twinkletoesCT
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Feb-05
Modern Self-Defense Center
Wow, this is a clear sign that I am on the forum TOO much. :-) When Roy establishes the leg-on-shoulder position, he does angle off to the side. Here are some reasons that I know of: 1) It prevents his partner from hooking the opposite foot underneath his thighs. 2) It makes it easier to underhook his partner's head, because of the angle of his body (though with the pressure he applies, he will get your knee to your face, no matter what). 3) It is easier to drive off of the back foot to create pressure when your body is angled in this way. It is also harder to fight that pressure from below when he is angled this way. 4) It appears to cut down on the exposure to the triangle choke (which is minimal due to the placement of his other leg). 5) It allows him to maintain a lot of control of the hips. 6) It allows him to begin putting pressure on the side of his partner's midsection as he is finishing the pass. These are just some reasons that I have observed. I'm sure he could tell you more ;-) ;-) ~TT
2/10/05 12:43 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Feb-05
7) It spreads the opponent's knees farther apart. 8) It weakens the legs. 9) It makes hip movement more difficult. 10) It makes it easier to go under the leg. Roy Harris
2/10/05 7:36 PM
Eel
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Feb-05
Thanks to you both.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.