UnderGround Forums

Combatives UnderGround >> The need for weapons...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/8/05 12:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Feb-05
The CSPT

I have always been pro weapons. Empty hands just does not provide one with all the tools needed to solve every Self Preservation problem. However, empty hands is where you should begin your training, in my opinion. I have always been hyper aware of the need for weapon but recently it has become even clearer. I just had knee surgery. There is no way I could effectivley fire puching and kicking combos right now. Likewise there is no way I could clinch or work on the ground very well. It may take a couple of months to get back to normal. Even stick and knife work would be iffy. However, firearms, pepper spray and projectiles are no problem. It's funny how those elements are taken for granted and many people think that no training is required to effectivley use them. It's a good feeling to have spent years training and developing firearms (handgun and shotgun). Most months I go through about 1000 rounds of 9mm and 100 - 200 rounds of 12 gauge. At my facility we do OC and SIMS scenarios. Projectiles are always put into the mix in almost every training element. It's interesting that most of my training injuries have come from empty hand training. MMA is huge and I'm glad it too has been a big part of my training. I'm just very aware of how benefical it's been to cover a full spectrum of training options. Demi www.DemiBarbito.com
2/8/05 9:25 AM
4 Ranges
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To me, weaponry is a huge part of the ultimate reality of combat. MMA is a great format, but if combat is your true study, your studies will ultimately lead you to weaponry.
2/8/05 10:10 AM
Willybone
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just had knee surgery. There is no way I could effectivley fire puching and kicking combos right now.

I never really considered weapons training for self-defense until a back injury took me out of judo. Only after some time spent in arnis have I realized that it should have been part of my training all along.
2/8/05 4:26 PM
finnfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Backproblems for me....:) Bought a minimaglite IMMEDIATELY...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.