UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> is going back to the "old way"....

2/11/05 12:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
beernight
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Feb-05

good? I had a conversation with a old instructor who I unfortunatly don't get to talk to enough and he said "we are going back to the old way of doing things like no high kicks and kata without kicks which was how they were to begin with(old kempo)" and I said well, that cool, good luck. BUT here's the thing. don't you think that that is kinda going backwards? arn't martial arts supposed to evolve? I mean there's no reason to cut out old kata's but to take your training, self defence, stances, etc.etc back to "how it used to be" I think is going backwards.... There are many different reasons for teaching/learning martial arts but for me, my biggest reason is SELF DEFENCE...there are plenty others but that is my #1 Not only is this person one of my instructors but we also had the same teacher and are going completely opposite ways. I know "to each his/her own" but I was just curious what people thought about this.
2/11/05 6:12 PM
RapidAssault
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Feb-05
Not all "evolution" is necessarily good. You might have heard of the term "dead-end evolution." It's when one's evolutionary development results in the cause of one's demise. Perhaps your old instructor sees this going on, which, in his mind, would be a good justification for regression. I'm curious as to what else your old instructor use to teach in his curriculum (aside from "high kicks"). Like, what else is he cutting out?
2/16/05 6:15 PM
beernight
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Feb-05
^^ are you saying the art evolved in the wrong direction? as in all modern martial arts? because I don't think that is true. If defending your self is the reason for doing this then lets face it, the "old" style of fighting (ie hand back to chamber, 1 punch = killing blow, horse stance with no footwork for a fighting stance, etc, etc) would be almost useless. I'm not saying you can't make it work for you or if you want to go back to the "art/tradition" but I think that for people who are wanting to make sure if a situation goes down that they will come out walking, that "going back" is misleading people about "defending one's self" people do not fight today like they did hundreds/thousands of years ago, thus I think "going back" is the wrong way to go.
2/17/05 2:12 PM
8LimbsScientist

Edited: 17-Feb-05
For instance, my instructor told me the TKD that was taught when he first got into it was very different from TKD today. It was very hardcore self-defense oriented with sweeps, etc. Then TKD became an Olympic sport and the art evolved at a very rapid pace because everyone was wanting to go to the Olympics. Some evolution for TMAs have been good, some bad.
2/17/05 11:08 PM
bigbrando

Edited: 17-Feb-05
possibly a change in goals in the martial arts school has resulted in the instructor wanting to "going back to the old way of doing things"
2/18/05 8:00 AM
Will2Learn

Edited: 18-Feb-05 08:30 AM
Post edit.
2/18/05 8:29 AM
Will2Learn

Edited: 18-Feb-05 08:51 AM
The Martial arts like most things have aspects of both evolution and revolution. Some things come and some things go. Styles exhist to fill gaps and when things are not needed or as usefull they are left behind. Some come back and you have an revolution, some are enhanced or altered and you have a evolution. Yet it is Doubtfull that present day martial arts are creating anything new. We take what is available and mold it into an idea or "Style", a philosophy if you will. Then in this way we adapt it to how we see fit. You can trace any martial technique to some ancient foundation. BJJ, caused a revolution. We went from a stand up and fight way of thinking or fighting to a ground way. Yet now we are finding that a good fighter must have aspects of both. Evolution or revolution? The age old question, "It there anything new under the sun" .
4/17/05 2:12 PM
mandalalisten

Edited: 17-Apr-05
Only one human body. Monkeys move pretty good. Ever fight one. Humans have de-evolved.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.