UnderGround Forums

Pennsylvania Underground >> Schools near Harrisburg?

2/13/05 12:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Buck29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Feb-05

Hey all, I am new to the boards, this being my first post. I am looking for people to train with or a good school in or around Harrisburg. I am specifically looking for some bjj training or submission wrestling coupled with some stand-up. I have trained for a year at a local boxing/kickboxing gym in Lancaster and over the past 2 years I have done some sporadic judo classes. I've spent alot of time searching on the net for schools between Harrisburg and Lancaster but I haven't found what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
2/14/05 2:19 PM
hessian1

Edited: 14-Feb-05
Buck29, Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Harrisburg is a deadzone for the type of training your looking for. Most of the schools in the area are traditional (no bash here against traditional, just not what you are looking for)or they are McDojo's. Closest thing I can think of would be Joerg's in Mechanicsburg for standup kickboxing/boxing and there are some judo programs running out of some of the local YMCA's. I have not been to any of the classes, but I understand that Steve Blackman is coaching out of the fitness center located in Strawberry Square in downtown Harrisburg. His advertisement reads to include stand-up, submission, and self-defense. If you don't know who Blackman is he was a former WWF/WWE wrestler with a heavy martial arts influence. Hope this helps, Mark H
2/14/05 4:54 PM
Buck29

Thanks for the replies. It truly is a dead zone for what I am looking for. I did however find a school in Red Lion for those that live close enough, American Systems is the name and apparently they have a gentlemen teaching bjj and mt m-w-f nights for a reasonable fee. That seems to be the closest I can get and thats about 45 mins from me, which is tough. I don't understand the fascination with TKD and tang so do(sp?) in this area however.
2/14/05 9:54 PM
hessian1

Buck29, The TKD thing happened because of the void of styles in the area in the 80's allowed TKD to proliferate, which in turn caused rank inflation in every Tom,Dick and blackbelt in the area allowing them to open their own schools. Also, TKD has a rep in PA for having the most McDojos/belt factories. Do some serious background research on anyone in central PA claiming teaching rank in Muay Thai or BJJ, you will find that most have low rank and are trying to take advantage of the thirst for these styles in the area or they took a few seminars and now have promoted themselves to instructor status. a good friend of mine witha serious interest in MT was commuting to the Philly area every week for MT classes, and is heading to Las Vegas in April to attend a MT camp by Master Toddy (legit MT coach with the credentials/history to prove it). The closest legit BJJ school are in Philly or up Scranton way (verifiable with the Gracie or Machado camps). Hope this doesn't discourage you to much. Mark H
2/16/05 12:14 PM
hart6999
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Feb-05
Check out www.hmaainc.com Renzo affiliate in Hatfeild PA they also offer MT Boxing and wrestling
2/17/05 9:15 PM
Joseph Cunliffe

Edited: 17-Feb-05
There are closer legit BJJ academies to Lancaster. Royler Gracie has a purple, Keith Neff, teaching in Sinking Spring -- just 30 minutes north on 222 and west on 724. Eric Utsch will be instructing in Muay Thai in March in Allentown. He is Coban trained with instruction under Toddy, King Cobra and Sakasem. Check out MMA in PA for more academies around the state. And, check out all academies on your time schedule and ASK QUESTIONS!
2/18/05 9:51 PM
Andy Kaufman

Edited: 18-Feb-05 10:07 PM
you poor bastard. i've been searching for a BJJ school for my friend for sometime in harrisburg and i have not turned up a thing. its pretty amazing how PA is 15 years behind everyone else in certain areas. the good news is, harrisburg stores will soon have compact disks! you'll be able to throw all those cassette tapes away...
3/3/05 6:50 AM
ashrael

Edited: 03-Mar-05
I went to Steve Blackman's class for about 8 months and it was great. It is a good combination of standup striking (all practical) and grappling and submissions. It was almost a year since I went so I can't be sure that Blackman is still there. You can find out more information by calling the # at http://fitfirmhbg.com/.
3/22/05 5:28 PM
fullofbs

Edited: 22-Mar-05
Guys, Hit me up with an e-mail dead_warrior2000@yahoo.com I train and teach mma/submission wrestling in York Pa about 20 minutes south of Harrisburg. If you want to work gi though i'm not the person to ask lol. We train Wednesday Nights from 7pm to 9pm and some of the other guys get together other nights of the week. Later, Brad

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.