UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> TKD in MMA

2/15/05 12:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JOESONDO
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Feb-05

http://www.tkd.risp.pl/Juras_HL_Extreme.wmv The kid clearly has more than just TKD going for him but it's interesting to see different styles in mma besides just MT, wrestling and BJJ.
2/16/05 3:38 AM
Calbert
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Feb-05
Cool clip!
2/16/05 3:48 AM
Shawn C

Isn't Mark Weir a TKD guy?
2/16/05 2:01 PM
Bunkou

I never get tired of those clips showing just how useless TKD is in MMA/kickboxing. Makes me really regret all the time and effort I put into getting my 4th dan.* * (This paragraph should not be read by the sarcastically impaired.)
2/16/05 4:55 PM
Willybone
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That rocked.
Head kicks, spinning back kicks...
I hope Ferox13 sees this.
2/17/05 4:16 AM
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Feb-05
Just goes to show you that anyone from any discipline, be it tkd, jkd, bjj or whatever, can get in there and kick some serious ass. that guy had a beautiful left round kick to the head that lifted his opponent right off the damn mat toward the end of that video. lots of lead leg kicks into punches i noticed. very aggressive fighter; i'd like to see him in a more well known mma promotion at some point. looked like he's from poland if i'm not mistaken. At first i thought he was WTF until i saw the ITF logo come up. i wasnt aware that ITF allowed punches to the face during TKD Tournaments, i know WTF doesn't and they are the most well known TKD Organization out there. I believe Mark Weir trained under Grandmaster Hee Il Cho if i'm not mistaken. hopefully i spelled grandmaster's name correctly. Cho from what I understand is a legitimate bad ass and teaches TKD from a self defense/street fighting context, not just sport TKD.
2/17/05 6:56 AM
Trent!
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/17/05 9:35 AM
Willybone
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wasnt aware that ITF allowed punches to the face during TKD Tournaments, i know WTF doesn't and they are the most well known TKD Organization out there.

I was also curious about that. I've never seen TKD tournaments with punches to face. Even the open tournaments around here only allow head punches with headgear on.
2/17/05 1:30 PM
Bunkou

Back when General Choi was still alive, the ITF allowed punching to the head in competition. Now that Choi's kicked it, there are at least four different ITFs. I'm no longer affiliated with any of them, so I can't speak on current competition rules.
2/17/05 2:06 PM
8LimbsScientist

I study ITF TKD and you are allowed to punch to the face. It is semi-contact though, so you can't try to take the guys head off. I wish leg kicks were allowed though =(. You can find sparring rules here: http://www.itf-information.com/information10c.htm Its a very fun art, and competition is a blast, but I must admit, I believe MT to be a more complete striking art.
2/17/05 5:34 PM
8LimbsScientist

Yeah actually we do hit pretty much full contact to the body with kicks and punches, and MOST referees don't say anything, but its completely up to the discretion of the judges really. Some judges will be stick to the rules closely and not let you hit hard, others will turn a blind eye to all but the most blatant savage strikes. But punches/kicks to the face are different though...you'll usually end up with a bloody nose or maybe a fat lip, but if you really start punching and kicking full force to the face, knockouts will result, and then the ref will have no choice but to disqualify you. For all intents and purposes is usually almost full contact to the body, but lighter contact to the head. But again, its up to the referee because according to the letter of the rules, its semi-contact.
2/18/05 10:44 AM
8LimbsScientist

Edited: 18-Feb-05
LOL, isn't this the same exact clip posted in the beginning of this same thread? Yeah that guy is great, but I think over there the referees are a bit more permissive. I don't think they'd let me chain punch someone like that. Only the first three punches count for points anyway, because they want to encourage kicking over punching. You can punch, punch, punch, kick, and then continue punching but you have to throw a kick in there every now and then in order to continue scoring points. I've seen flash knockouts where the guy gets hit, collapses to his knees and shakes it off and then gets back up again and the offending fighter just gets a warning. But again, its all up to the referee...I'm sure some referees would DQ for that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.