UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Bruce Lee's JKD

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/23/05 12:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
karasu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Feb-05

I'm talking about traditional Bruce Lee style Jeet Kune Do as demonstrated in his book series "Bruce Lee's Fighting Method". I do not study this method, but I have always had an interest and would like to hear more about it from those who train this method.
2/26/05 8:58 PM
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Feb-05
Well some things off the top of my head: The footwork system is similar to fencing. (Lee's brother used to fence.) There's the step and slide shuffle forward, backwards, etc. In the stance your strong hand goes forward. The straight lead is a key technique. Interception techniques such as a low kick to the shin are integral. Hence the meaning of Jeet Kune Do, "The way of the intercepting fist." As a general rule, the hand moves before the feet in punching. Some of the main striking techniques are the side kick, the hook kick, the spin kick, the straight lead, the finger jab, the cross, the backfist, and the hook. Economy of form and nontelegraphic execution are both stressed.
2/26/05 10:21 PM
karasu

Edited: 26-Feb-05
has anyone had success using this method in live sparring against various martial artists?
3/2/05 10:47 PM
Naughty Gorilla
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Mar-05
modern san shou, especially the Chinese fighters remind me a lot of this classic JKD
3/26/05 12:04 AM
karasu

Edited: 26-Mar-05
I too noticed that similarity Naughty Gorilla. I wonder if there is any connection, like did Lee's methods actually have in influence on modern san shou, or is it just coincidence?
4/8/05 7:15 AM
CockneyBlue
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Apr-05
Firstly, it's not his book series, it was written up after his death, it's basically just his collected notes that he had made from other sources. Which pretty much sums up the style. There is nothing original in it, it is a collection of what Bruce Lee felt were the most succesful elements of the various fighting arts.
4/8/05 11:17 PM
ResuTudo

Edited: 08-Apr-05
I read that the Side Kick is a direct influence from JKD. What is a finger jab?
4/10/05 3:48 AM
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Apr-05
On the Sanshou and JKD similarties, I thought I was abit mental when I notice the similarities. Coincidentally there are alot of 'JKD' schools advertised in Chinese martial arts mags these days.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.