UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> "Bruce Lee's Fighting Method"

2/28/05 1:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
karasu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-05

Roy, I have posted this question on other forums with little feedback, so I thought maybe I could get your opinions on this subject. I have always enjoyed the book series "Bruce Lee's Fighting Method" and so I am curious, as a practitionar of Jeet Kune Do, how do you feel about the method taught in this book series? I have never trained JKD but like many, Bruce Lee was one of many who have inspired me during my life study of Martial Arts.
2/28/05 7:47 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-05
Bruce Lee's method of fighting was continually evolving. What he taught in 1964 was different from what he taught years later. While some would not think that his fighting methods are effective in today's world, I am of the opinion that anything can work in an environment suited for it. All it takes from a person is discpline, dedication, perseverance and a willingness to evaluate one's training methods. Also, please remember that Bruce was concerned with fighting, not mixed martial arts (which is a sport). I have all of Bruce's books. I enjoy re-reading them from time to time. However, just like everything else, things change with time. If Bruce were alove today, I believe his method of fighting would be different than what we read about in his book from the 1960' and 1970's. Roy Harris
3/3/05 12:26 AM
karasu

Edited: 03-Mar-05
Thanks for sharing your insight Roy and if you wish to add further commentary on the subject, I'd enjoy the reading:)
3/5/05 4:17 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Mar-05
karasu, From my understanding (meaning, "taking from all that I have been taught by Sifu's Inosanto, Faye and Vunak"), Jeet Kune Do is a training method. It is not a style that can be classified by the techniques it uses or doesn't use. The training methods used are designed to teach each individual student how to adapt through a progression in training, as well as how to personalize the techniques to suit their individual needs. For the first time ever on a public forum, here is the progression I use: 1. Theory. 2. Structure. 3. Attributes. 4. Transitions. 5. Pitting. 6. Observation. 7. Combining. 8. Restructuring. 9. Adaptation. 10. Personalization. These ten elements represent the first part of "My JKD" training. Roy Harris
3/6/05 9:28 AM
twinkletoesCT
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Mar-05
Modern Self-Defense Center
WOAH. :scribble, scribble, scribble: ;-)
3/6/05 12:42 PM
Roy Harris

TT, What's the smell? Is that smoke? Are you writing too fast? ; ) Roy
3/6/05 8:27 PM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what the heck is pitting? :)
3/7/05 7:42 AM
karasu

Edited: 07-Mar-05
Roy, please feel free to discuss more your training of JKD, you ideas, experience in the art, etc. Also, are you still a fan of Bruce Lee's movies? How about Jet Li's "Fist of Legend"?
3/7/05 11:25 AM
Roy Harris

Edited: 07-Mar-05
I love Bruce Lee movies. I watch them every time I see them on TV. I also enjoy Jet Li's movies. He has a certain flare that is all his own. Roy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.