UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Schools with BJJ and Shooto?

2/28/05 6:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Greggie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-05

Hey, I'm toying with the idea of going to Japan this summer. I'd probably want to do Shooto, BJJ and Judo. I'd probably go to the international classes at the Kodokan. It would of course be easier and cheaper for me to attend as few schools as possible, so does anyone know of schools (in the Tokyo area) offering both Shooto and BJJ classes? Paraestra does, right? Thanks much, Greg
2/28/05 11:22 PM
Paul Carroll
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-05
Paraestra Kz's Factory XPoint Gym & Scramble Gym Yellowmans AACC ....
3/1/05 1:26 AM
Greggie

Edited: 01-Mar-05
Thanks much, sir. Like I said, this trip is just a thought in my head right now, but is a (distant) possibility. Greg
3/1/05 9:04 AM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How good is your Judo?
3/1/05 12:36 PM
Greggie

Not very good. That's why I want to go. My newaza is solid, but my throws aren't strong at all. Greg
3/1/05 1:12 PM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kodokan international program is pretty weak in my opinion. I recommend training your ass off now in the states, get shodan as fast as possible, and try your best in all the tourneys. Especially if you win an E-level you'll be looking good. Once you have that, Japan will rock. Kodokan just for the randori, and also one of the universities for judo (much better than the Kodokan except when the university and company clubs come). Once you're an E-level guy, you can train at Tokai, Tsukuba, or some of the other clubs. I remember rooms at some of the college clubs were so subsidized they were like $7 a day. If you go to Japan before shodan, it won't be as good since the Kodokan international classes are as slow as a turtle.
3/1/05 7:58 PM
Greggie

The randori wouldn't be beneficial? I know that I can't go some place like Tokai. Obviously, I'd get a new asshole torn for myself. You really think it'd be better to build a foundation here, and then go? Thanks, Greg
3/2/05 5:15 AM
RexKwonDo

Edited: 02-Mar-05
"You really think it'd be better to build a foundation here, and then go?" Absolutely. I saw a lot of American guys progress slowly in Japan. Maybe it was the teaching style or maybe it was the language barrier. Once you're at least brown belt (but I recommend black) you can drop by any club to randori. Hopefully you could randori twice a day if you set your schedule right. Tons of fun. Also you go drinking with your mates too!
3/2/05 8:04 PM
Greggie

Edited: 02-Mar-05
Cool, man. Thanks for the info. Greg
3/16/05 6:35 PM
Solidus

Edited: 16-Mar-05
Sorry to hijack, but I'm also in a similar situation and got another question for some of you guys. I'm gonna be doing study abroad in the fall at Obirin University, where there is a Judo club. I've only really done like a month of real judo, and much more no-gi/mma training. I'd prefer to just go to a BJJ/shooto school, but being in Japan I'd like to actually be able to meet more Japanese people while I'm there, so I figure that I would get to know people better from joining the judo club at the college. Can anyone tell me how the environment differs from a college Judo club and an actual shooto gym? Ideally I'd like to be able to train at a shooto gym and be able to make some friends from there, just because MMA interests me more than only Judo. Thanks.
3/16/05 7:49 PM
Greggie

Edited: 16-Mar-05
Do both Shooto and Judo, dude. Small world, btw. I went to Oberlin College, Obirin's sister school in the US. I think Obirin was founded by an Oberlin grad. We actually visited Obirin really briefly, on a geology dept. trip to Japan. Fun place. Have a good time. Greg
4/2/05 7:33 AM
Rox19
411 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Apr-05
I was wondering if there is a good club near Atsugi? I know it's around Yokohama...I'm interviewing for a job and they might want to put me there. They told me it was suburban-ish, so I got worried. I'd like to find a place that actually trains mma/nhb style, or shooto (not just kickboxing and then separately BJJ) although I am also looking for BJJ, submission grappling, and muay thai/kickboxing.
4/2/05 10:43 AM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Apr-05
Rox19 - if its around Yokohama then you have STG(Shooting Gym) Yokohama to train at. No shortage of MMA/bjj or striking gyms in those areas if you're willing to travel a bit.
4/4/05 5:37 AM
Rox19
411 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Apr-05
Thanks for the info!

"If you're willing to travel a bit." I don't like that sound of that last part...exactly what is "a bit?" half an hour? That's just what I'm trying to find out!

4/8/05 5:27 PM
Rox19

Edited: 08-Apr-05
Okay, I will most likely be in Atsugi!! I got a job offer for berlitz! :D Now, I've been having the dickins of a time finding maps where I can get train schedule info (Japanese website is okay too, I can figure it out). Do you guys know how close K'z factory is, or pancrase yokohama? (I spent like 45 mins looking online for directions...maybe I just suck a looking?)
4/8/05 10:47 PM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Apr-05
Hey Roxanne :-) Congrats on getting a gig with Berlitz!! It's got one of the better reputations amongst conversation schools here. Are you sure you're gonna be in Atsugi? That's in Kanagawa prefecture. There is an American military base close by. To get into tokyo/yokohama area will prolly take under an hour. I just got a backorder of a magaziine that has listings of all the main MMA gyms in the greater Tokyo area. Hopefully they'll have something listed thats close to you. Gimme some time When are you coming over? For how long? Really hope you have a good time here :D
4/9/05 8:16 AM
Rox19

Edited: 09-Apr-05 08:17 AM
Thanks!! I will definately be there for a year. I should be coming over in mid July! I hope it's mid july, because I just agreed to fight Debi Purcell July 9th, so yeah. I don't know how much time I'll have to committ to traveling to tokyo for dojo's, but someone on another board told me that the following dojo's are near Yokohoma. But he didn't tell me exactly where they are and how to get to them. Do you train, and where exactly?

K'z factory

Pancrase Yokohama Dojo

RINGS Yokohama Dojo

GAEA JAPAN Yokohama Dojo

Jd' Yokohama Dojo

Do you know what RINGS is?? and have you trained at any of these? Actually, my old sensei Uematsu Naoya from Paraestra Kichijouji said he trained at K'z factory.

Oh yeah, the other thing I wanted to ask was do you know of a good japanese website that lets you look up train maps? I know when I lived in tokyo, if I had a question, all I did was look up at the map above the ticket machine next time I took the train and all my questions would be answered.

I really appreciate all your help on this!!! :)

4/9/05 10:00 PM
JDee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Apr-05
Rox19,...I found this for you. Hope it helped. http://www.jref.com/practical/transportation_tokyo.shtml - Juggs
4/10/05 9:22 PM
mestregruber
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Apr-05
Hey roxy- if you're close to yokohama, there is a BJJ school there run by a guy named Baba called "Hero Brazilian Jiu-jitsu." I trained there when I was in Yokohama for a conference, and he was really cool to me. There are a couple of women who train there already. It's just a BJJ school though. P's lap has a good reputation, and Paraestra (though also primarily BJJ) is a good group of schools generally and Yuki Nakai is a really cool guy. However, the guy at Paraestra Yokohama was a huge dick to me on the phone, and he is only a purple belt, IIRC. ??????????????????????????????????

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.